AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Can live plants give off too much carbon dioxide when tank is unlit for fish health?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCan live plants give off too much carbon dioxide when tank is unlit for fish health?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
As I've read, with the right lighting, plants use carbon dioxide given off be fish to produce oxygen for the fishwater and the fish.
And the plants release carbon dioxide into thw water when lighting is off.

Can the levels of carbon dioxide given off solely the plants when combined with the fish themselves at night be too high for fish health?
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 21:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I'm inclined to say no, as I've seen some planted tanks filled to the brim that still had fish in them.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 22:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
But do live aquarium plants release carbon dioxide when the "Daylight" light is turned off at night and they are not producing oxygen without the light, friend Shinigami?
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2008 00:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
But do live aquarium plants release carbon dioxide when the "Daylight" light is turned off at night and they are not producing oxygen without the light, friend Shinigami?

That is correct. In all honesty, plants are actually producing carbon dioxide all the time. CO2 is a byproduct of cellular respiration. However, during the daytime when photosynthesis is occurring, they just reuse that CO2. At night, no photosynthesis means no oxygen production and any excess CO2 is released.

As Shini said, though, it's unlikely that you could stuff enough plants into an aquarium to suffocate the fish at night.
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2008 02:25Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
OK Good,
Thank you...it was concerning me a little since I'm going to not use activated charcoal in my filters anymore (unless I want to remove medication, or something specific). I was concerned about that situation without carbon filtering in my FULL..FULL(of fish) tank with about 6 or seven plants that are growing bigger every day thanks to the "Daylight" light I installed!
I had no idea of the amount the plants leached with the light out, or whenever.

thanks
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2008 20:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies