AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Can someone show me a pic of thier java moss please???
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCan someone show me a pic of thier java moss please???
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
female newzealand
Why I ask is someone passed me a link to a website to do with algae and there is a plant in my tank that looks like the java moss that is indeed an algae and before i throw it out of my tank i want to make sure. But i was sold it as java moss I just want to make sure thats all.

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2008 21:01Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
This is a closeup of java moss with a shrimp on it:

For size reference the shrimp is less than half an inch long.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2008 21:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
There are quite a few mosses that look similar, and a few decent plants that look remarkably like algae. Any chance you can grab a picture?

http://www.aquamoss.net/Java-Moss/images/Java-Moss-03.jpg

http://www.flippersandfins.net/Images/JavaMoss.jpg

A few that look similar:
http://naturalaquariums.com/plants/mosses.html

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2008 21:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
[link=Java Moss] http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Java+Moss&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2[/link]

I did a google images and I think you will get plenty here with lots of info.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 08:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Cladophora algae is what it looks similar to. But then again if it was to be algae it would of taken over the tank instead of growing slowly and the fishes would of been affected by it wouldnt they.

And I would put up a picture but the computer i am on dont to pictures in need of an upgrade .

callatya it looks like the moss in the first picture.

SO in saying that would i be correct in saying that the algae is like the weed of the tank world??

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 08:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
In most cases, yes BUT if you've intentionally added it and it isn't an indication of poor water quality or some other problem, then it is only bad if you don't like the look of it or if it adversely affects the tank. Most algaes don't cause problems.

The problem with IDing java moss is that healthy moss and sad moss look very very different. Healthy moss is pretty unmistakable as you can make out the tiny leaves, but unhealthy moss can look like thick dark green cotton.

I think, and I could be wrong, but when you remove a lump of cladophora algae from water, it stays slicked down and looks a bit like green felted wool, whereas java moss holds its form somewhat more and should spring back into shape a little.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 08:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Thanks for more of a description.

And upon the springing back it does do that when i take it out of the tank. I can tell you my minnows and goldfishes love it the goldfishes i have seen them swim through it.

And upon the reasearch it is most likely java moss... How do you get the clumps to grow.

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 09:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies