SubscribeCouple Questions
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male canada
Hey Guys!
OK i have a few question with regards to my planted tank. first off here are the tank specs 110gal 25ppm of co2 265 watts of light, tank is 60"l x 24" tallx 18"deep... as well as i a have a 2026 ehiem canister filter. (i believe thats the one, its rated for a 160gal tank) anyhow here are my questions, My current light rig is about 4" or so above the glass / water surface should i lower it closer to the water? would that give me a better quality light at the deeper part of the tank? secondly, i am having algae grow on my ceramic diffuser, what is the best way to clean it off? Thirdly, i have noticed my plants decline in general health over the past few weeks since i have changed from mixing my own chemicals from using the seachem flourish line. My levels from what i can remember, my nitrate is about 5ppm, and my phosphate is about .5 (sorry it might be the other way around, i cant remmeber the scale on the card) i have a feeling that i am missing an ingrediant with my own mix of ferts, I unfortunately do not have a potassium test kit, so i dont know exactly what my level is. But if i remember correctly potassium is used for general health of the plant?... ok third question, My tank is against a wall, i notice that i have a lot of light reflecting onto the wall since i dont have a background. Would i gain more light input into my tank if i add a backgroudn then if i leave it and have it bounce off the wall and back into the tank? ok and finally the last question is this. i have accquired my canister filter back in april. My flow indicator ball is still at the fullest setting, how often should i clean my filter with a planted tank? when the flow indicator is at its lowest or should i do it every 3 months? also what should i be cleaning the filter pads or the media?

Thanks guys!

Shawn
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 03:34Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I will keep away from the chemistry side as there are members far mor qualified than me for a good reply.

Now for the backing. If it is reflecting light it "could" cause an algae problem. Painted back grounds make the fish and the plants stand out that is posibly the main reasons for doing that.
My Eheim Pro11 has an indicator and it is at full flow. the only reason is that I do a monthly pull down anw wash it out completly. All the filtration materials are washed in the tank water I have just removed. If it is not cleaned correctly and regually (monthly)the flow will go down, this means the filtration rate is less and you are putting a strain on the pump.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 04:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
My current light rig is about 4" or so above the glass / water surface should i lower it closer to the water? would that give me a better quality light at the deeper part of the tank?

It's just fine as is.

i am having algae grow on my ceramic diffuser, what is the best way to clean it off?

Remove the diffuser and soak in a 50/50 solution of bleach and water for 10 mins. Rinse thorughly and then soak in clean water with some water conditioner for a further 10 mins. Should be as good as new. Do this every 2 or 3 weeks even if you don't see any algae on the diffusser.

Thirdly, i have noticed my plants decline in general health over the past few weeks since i have changed from mixing my own chemicals from using the seachem flourish line.

Need to know what you were dosing before and now. You may be underdosing. 5ppm of N is pretty low. It could also be Co2, if the diffuser is clogged it may not be working well and you have less co2.If you are dosing Kno3 potassium levels should be fine. More info needed.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 04:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
This is my fert mixture now.

1 tbsp of CSM+B
1 TBSP of Mgs04
2 TBSO of KN03

mixed in 500 ml of water and i dose ever day 3ml of solution.
(the one ingrediant that i havent found around here and havent had time yet.. family issue to deal with is potassium sulphate)

Before i would dose flourish nitrate every other day at 5ml, flourish potassium every 3 days at 5ml, florish trace 5ml every 3 days 5ml, flourish every 3 days at a capful. as well as flourish phosphate every other day at 5ml.now thats just an average of what i did somedays it might be a little more or little less depending on how accurate it felt like being. As for my Co2, its usually around 20-25ppm baised on a chart i got from the krib... and it shows you your PH level and your KH level. I dont remember my values off hand but it usually is around that. I have probibly answered my own question by not having the potassium sulphate in my fert mixture. If i add another tablespoon of KNO3 to my mix would that be more benificial or more harmful?

Thanks guys!

Shawn

Oh on a side note, my background in which the tank is sitting up against is blue. I was just making the comment that if i added a background could i keep more valuable light in the tank vs having it reflect outside of the tank onto other things. ie the back wall. and would it make a difference.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 15:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Hi gang,
as i predicted i answered my own question. I finally had a chance to get my proper fert mixture and ill keep you posted on that. I do have another question tho. I hear people adding baking soda to their tanks. My question with regards to that, how necessary is it? secondly how often do i dose and how much. my ph probibly swings from 6.8 when lights are off to 6.2 when lights are on and CO2 injection is happening. At the moment my fish are not too bothered by the PH swing, should i bother with the baking soda? or should i just leave it as is.

Shawn
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 00:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Oh on a side note, Little_fish i will try your suggestion with regards to cleaning the cermaic diffuser with flourish excel. If not ill resort to the 50% bleech to water solution dipped at about 15min then a wash bath at 10min.

Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 00:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Your ferts are a bit off. The main problem is that there is no Phosphate. You don't need the Potassium Sulphate but you do need the KH2PO4 - Mono Potassium Phosphate.

Dosing this and the KNO3 will take of all the potassium needs.

Any reaon for the Mg ? If the GH is over 3 dgh you should be ok, but adding extra is no harm.

Baking soda is only for those that have little to no KH, nothing to do with the plants as such - you don't need it.

I don't use solutions I just drop the chems straight in the tank, I find it easier. But a 3ml dose of that solution seems very low to me.

Try this:
1 teaspoon of KNO3 and 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of KH2PO4 3 times a week.
Dose the CSM 3 times a week on the days when you don't dose macros.
Add the MgSo4 about 2 teaspoons after water change if you feel you need it.
50% water change weekly.

Keep an eye on the co2 , bet it's lower then you think.

Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 03:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Thanks bensaf!
Thats good to know about the baking soda, and by the sounds of it i dont really need it. I wouldnt have thought that my phosphates were off, From what i have read i phosphate is one of the more less used by plants and with the amount of fish / fishfood that the levels should be somehwat ok, But ill test for phosphate again and find out what they are.

You suggest doesing the chemicals right into the tank. With the CSM+B what ammount should i be using for that? and yes i do a 50% water change just about every week, if not every 10 days
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2006 14:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
From what i have read i phosphate is one of the more less used by plants

While it's true that P is used in lower quantities it is still a macro nutrient and absolutely vital.Never underestimate the power of phosphate !
It's the effect that phosphate has on other nutrients as much as anything. It's like a plant steriod. Pushes uptake of other nutrients , especially N and K greatly. Pearling increases dramatically on the days when Phosphate is added.

You suggest doesing the chemicals right into the tank. With the CSM+B what ammount should i be using for that?

Sorry can't help you with that as I've never used CSM and have no experience of it.

Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2006 04:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Thanks again! ill see what i can come up with and take it from there. What would you use inplace of CSM+B?
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 14:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Shawn,

I have been reading through your questions. Looks like pretty much everything is being anwsered from the masters.

I do have a couple of questions for you though...
What type of substrate are you using?
Types of plants?
types of fish?
Do you have any pictures you can share with us?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 21:36Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
What would you use inplace of CSM+B?

Personally I use Tropica Master Grow and like it a lot. Flourish Regular is good too. Basically any decent liquid fert with Fe and other micros is ok.

Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 03:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Hey Guys!
OK here are a few pictures, THe first one is a few weeks after the plants got established and my ferts were added (the whole Seachem Line of flourish)

Second Picture is as of tonight with the progress and a massive trimming job...yes you guys might cringe i kinda did a hack job.

Third photo is of my current problem... I dont know what to do about this plant, it is holding on for dear life! It use to be a big bush, but it has now begun to die off at the base. (and i did a bad cutting job one night and kinda took off more then i should have)

Forth photo is one problem i did have, but since been corrected.

Wingsdlc, hope that help with what i am up against. and hope it help with your comments about gravel size etc..

As for fish. I have the average stuff, guppies, platties, rainbows, one or two rasporas, rummie nose, pleco, algea eaters, etc... Plant stock... im sorry im not good with names, i just go with what looks good in the store. but most are moderate light, to low light.

Ok as for my Levels as of tonight, (i havent just dumped the chemicals in like Bensaf suggested to i am just using up my mixture that i made.. i hate to dump it out.
Kno3 = 0
PH = 6.8
Kh = 5 dkh
Gh= 12 dGH
phosphate = 2ppm
co2 = approx 25ppm
Fe = .1-.2 ppm

And Yes i know right off the bat i have no nitrates... So i will be just adding in the powder and be done with it lol... Any thoughts as to what to do about that one plant holding on for dear life by the thread lol!

Shawn

Tank Specs

110gal
60"lx 24"tall x 18" deep
Eheim Pro 2 filter
Co2 injection with glass diffuser
260watts of light, two bulbs 10 000k and two at 6700K

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
second pic

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
third pic

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
and last pic

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
I should make a correction on that Fe number... that is for non Cheleated or toxic levels, the Fe number i have for non-toxic is about .5ppm
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Looks like a case of shading pure and simple. It's B. Monnieri?Australis or Micrathanum ? Neither will take to shading.

You got a big sword behind it, it's got too tall, and there is some contrapion overhead . The bottom is badly shaded. Move it into more light and keep it a bit shorter.

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 04:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
How do you prevent your swards from getting too big? Just by cutting down the larger leafs allowing the smaller ones to grow bigger.. then repeat the cycle? I Have cut out a lot of the stuff that shades the tank, Ill keep an eye on it to allow more light to reach the bottom. I might do an overhaul on the tank too kinda change the look, have a thick sward / fern patch on one side drifting into a more sparce open on the other... i dunno i havent really gave it too much thought. But ill keep my ferts up like you suggested and ill let you know how the progress is in about a week or two. I appreciate the input on everything.

Shawn

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 04:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
How do you prevent your swards from getting too big?

You can't. Trimming the leaves just seems to encourage them to grow bigger new ones. I've been down this road. I like swords but they have always gotten to big and I have to rip them out.

Some will stay a managable size, but Bleheris like you have there will just get bigger and bigger. What height is your tank ? Mine eventually outgrew a tank that was 22inches tall !

They are very nutrient hungry and yours look very very healthy which would explain why you were bottoming out on nutrients.

If you intend to keep them just be sure that the stem plants are placed in areas where they can still get clear light.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 05:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies