Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCrypt spreading?
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
A couple of months back, I had a plant I needed identified. We've narrowed it down to a crypt of some sort. Now I think it has managed to seed a baby crypt on the opposite end of the tank! How did that happen? I thought any baby plants would grow off a side shoot.

We noticed a very small leaf sticking out of the gravel a month ago. Then, today I notice more little leaves. It's practically under a rock and near a group of stem plants. We haven't had enough water pressure to run the python in about a month. So we've been doing it the old fashion way of cup/bowl and bucket. We haven't been able to vac the gravel but we do run a chopstick or plastic knife through the gravel atleast once a week, but I avoid going near the plants. The Barbs and Angels have enough fun pulling the plants up as it is.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2009 06:18Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I also have a unidentified tall Crypt that travels I traced one piece 35cm. I have use this plant as a backing for my 45lt Cardinal & Shrimp tank. It mainly grows in clumps and at the moment I have a traveller of about 10cm as soon as It gets bigger I will move it. I have never lost a plant by moving this variety it is tough as old shoe leather. It came with some Val I had given to me.
Python why bother gust get a Gravel Vac to take the water out. I put my water in with a plastic watering can with the spray head off works like a charm.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2009 10:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 25-Feb-2009 10:32
This post has been deleted
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Goofy question... What's the difference between a python and gravel vac? I thought they were the same. Now I'm throughly confused.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2009 16:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
The Python can do both, It is a siphon and can vacuum
the gravel while doing that. While a true gravel
vacuum will only vacuum the gravel and return the water
to the same tank.

A gravel vacuum is similar to this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3895
With the gravel vacuum the stuff is sucked up and passed
into a bag made of a very fine mesh. It traps the detritus
in the bag. The problem is that the very fine particles
pass right through the bag and back into the tank clouding
it.

The python:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5566
The python "wastes" a tremendous amount of water as it
uses a venturi effect to draw the water out of the tank
and through the hose out into the sink. By swirling the
gravel within the large suction end, the detritus is
completely removed from the tank and by reversing the
valve, you can fill the tank.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2009 17:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
As far as using a Python in Aust at the moment it would be nothing but a total waste of water.
That Eheim cleaner costs about $200 when buying on line in a LFS ????

I would say in Aust most people would use the very simple Vac Cleaner it is a tube (various lengths & sizes) and on the top is removable a soft plastic tube also various lengths/sizes.
I have seen these made up from a drink bottle with a tube on the top.
They are extremely easy to use the dirty water/gunk is sucked up and goes into a bucket (and then on the garden).
Then you top up your tank.
These cleaners cost from $10 to $20+ depending on the size.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2009 02:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Here are two of my Syphons/Gravel vacs as you can see they are extremely basic.
The way it works is it sucks up the gravel and water and as the gravel is heavy and with the water moving through the gravel it tosses the gravel around the tube then only the dirty water is removed. As soon as you do one spot you lift it up the clean gravel fall back and you move on again. The dirty water is collected in a bucket via the long plastic tube.
You can also wave it over plants and it will pick up the surface gunk or wave your fingers over the plants and it will collect the gunk that way

As you can see it is simple and it works and its very cheap plus we do not waste any water at all.

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

My Gravel Vacs Keith 2-09

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 02:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Keith what brand are those gravel vacs? I looked them up after Frank gave me those wonderful links. I couldn't figure out if some of them worked very well. I assume [we all know about assumptions] the Eheim works pretty well. I also saw an electric vac. The cheapest Eheim I found was about $55 US not including s+h. The electric was about $160 US also not including s+h. I "may" spring for the Eheim but I would prefer to keep shopping for now. I like a great bargain, if I can find one. I'm not adverse to the basic setup you have. In fact, I like the setup you described quite well. It looks a little like Lee's but I can't tell for sure. Most of the pics I've seen of Lee's self start gravel vac showed it in the package.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 03:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kelly

The larger one is a Eheim about the Aust$20 the other ??? under Aust$10 it does not matter as there are several brands exactly the same. You would think they were all made at the same factory and packaged differently.
Now I have posted those photos some one might know where that can be bought.
If you start a new thread in "Technical Tinkering" asking about Gravel Vacs I can post it again for you not a problem

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 03:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Surely you can use the nozzle from the python and just attach a length of tube from the hardware shop? We don't really get genuine Python's here, only the Lee's Ultimate Gravel Vac, and even then very few places stock it. It might be possible though, and it would be cheaper still (in a pinch, I've made them out of tubing and a coke bottle, it isn't too complicated to get going)

Lee's do a version of the ones that Keith posted. It is a clear tube nozzle, a step-down attachment to connect the wide rigid tube to the narrower flexible pipe, and then a length of pipe.

I don't "self-start" as it upsets the fish somewhat and spreads any surface gunk around. I start it like you would a basic tube siphon, I suck it I've lost track of the mouthfuls of water I've copped when not paying attention. YOu might want to consider picking up a cheap siphon starter pump (plastic thingy, looks like an accordion) from the local cheapie auto product shop. They are used for starting siphons for petrol etc, but if you can find the right size they start aquarium siphons just as well

I'm guessing you can still add water with the python tube?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 20:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies