Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCrypt turning reddish brown?
salvatorus
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 24
Votes: 14
male usa
Ok not sure this is a problem or not but here it goes.

I have some Crypt Walkeri in my tank, and when they first got here they were a nice shade of green with smaller long stemmed leaves. Now all the new leaves are very big and a reddish brown in color with some green splashed in there.

They are growing a ton of new leaves and one has even sent a runner out to start a new plant. I would say about 7 or 8 new leaves per plant in a 4 week period. They still have some of the older green leaves on there, but they seem to be dying back.

I have 60 watts of light over a 30gallon tank. I am not using CO2, and all my other plants seem to be doing great.

So I was wondering if there is anything wrong with this and what exactly it might be?
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 05:29Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I could be wrong but you may have a bronze crypt. My crypt was green in the store, but after I had it a few days, it slowly changed bronze. It's growing shoots and new leaves, but it's all bronze. I posted a photo earlier to find out what it was and that's as far as I got.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 05:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Crypt Walkeri

Is this what you have note names? No mention of a brown variety but it could be that yours is brown.

Not to worry just do a little research at that site where a lot of plant experts hang out.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 07:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
salvatorus
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Yah thats the plant I bought, atleast thats what I supposedly bought. I wasnt to worried about it since it is growing so many new leaves. I was just thinking I either had to much light or not enough, or missing some nutrients.

Thanks for the info guys. Ill check out that site.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 14:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I went to that site and pulled this: [link]http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/cwendtii.jpg [/link] Check out the red and the bronze varieties. I think mine matches the bronze coloring best.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 19:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Crypts change color is nothing to worry about. They can change quite a bit depending on the growing conditions. Below are two pictures of crypts from my old tanks back in MI. The top picture is of the same plant as the lower picture just grown in a different tank. The top picture was grown with high light, CO2, and EI fertilizing. The bottom picture came from a low light tank with no CO2 and small amounts of ferts. If you happen to notice... the bottom plant is much smaller and greener while the top is larger and darker. The spike coming out of the plant on the bottom is a flower.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 23:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
salvatorus
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Well thanks. Nice pics. So I guess I have nothing to worry about. Didnt really think I did, but it was so strange to see my plant start shooting up bronze leaves as soon as it went into my tank.

All my other plants seem to be doing great as well. My anubias have atleast 3 or so new leaves and I can almost watch my elodea grow.

Been using ferts such as Flourish execel and what not, so I guess ill keep on keeping on.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2009 05:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have been using the Flourish Tabs for a while now as well as their liquid ferts and my Crypt Nevilli love it. They always had a little on them because they were growing too slow now they all look terrific.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2009 06:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies