AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Does more lighting = more algae?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDoes more lighting = more algae?
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
I need some advice on lighting and algae growth.

I recently upped the wattage on my 4ft (53g) from .56wpg to 2wpg.

I noticed that after 1 week at 2wpg my leaves, particularly my Anubias, started to get what looked like a brown stain. I have tried wiping it off but it is permanent. I took one of the 40watt tubes out which now gives me 1.3wpg.

Should I have just perservered with the higher wattage? Was it just a reaction to the sudden increase? I use flourish - 5ml/week.

Lights are left on for 10 hours/day.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 08:02Profile PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
crusha,

Basically, more light does not cause more algae at least not by definition. Instead, more light reduces the margin of error the aquarist can make.

To the details: what is the purpose of more light? Faster and better plant growth, of course. But plant cannot live of light alone, they need other things as well. Now, 2wpg is not the world and as such you for sure are not at a level where CO2 would be required, but the occasional dosage (let's say 3 times per week) of Flourish Excel would help the growth even more. And then there is the 3rd entity besides water (the other two were light and carbon) that plants need to grow, nutrients. You say you add "I use flourish - 5ml/week" and I assume that this is where your problems come from. Flourish is anything but a balanced fertilizer, people use it to feed micros (the stuff you need in smaller dosages) to their plants. Go to the Seachem website and check out their fertilizer lineup for planted tanks and you will see various products that together create a balanced nutrient environment for your plants.

How much do you know about macros and micros? Do you know your tank's nitrate, phosphate, ph, KH, and maybe even GH levels?

I hope this helps a little,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 10:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
female australia
Thanks for the reply Littlefish, it's obviously a lot more involved than I realised.

I only have test kits here for Nitrate and ph, ph is 7.0 and nitrate is 20ppm.

I was using excel every other day but I have run out and must restock. Was also thinking about getting the Flourish Potassium as well.

As for micro's and macro's, looks like im in for some research doesn't it .

Do you think I should put the other 40 watt tube back on then?

Dont know if this makes any difference but the tubes are 10,000k and 6,700k at the moment. The third tube is also 6,700k.

I just hate the look of that brown stuff all over my leaves.

Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 10:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
crusha,

Your ph and Nitrates are great, now you just have to make sure your Potassium is at about 20ppm as well (there is some in Flourish, but not enough) and your phosphates are at around 2ppm. Also, maybe you want to compare Flourish and Flourish Trace as one has some micro goodies that are not in the other (I think).

Yup, restock on Excel

"As for micro's and macro's, looks like im in for some research doesn't it" Sure does

You should could put the other light back on. Is there a shaded spot in your tank where the Anubias could go? As a slow grower it is very susceptible to algae but when shaded it usually does better. What other plants are in the tank? Do you have a picture of the tank? Oh, the leaf in the first post doesn't look all that bad yet, BTW. Once you get your situation under control then you could cut off that leaf (or leaves) as it most likely will not get better.

Your lights are in a nice K range, good call

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 10:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
female australia
Littlefish, the main plants in there are anubias. I just love them, however there are a few crypts, swords and some grassy plants, not sure what they are called. I know that I need something for my swords as the leaves are becoming very holey (thought the potassium might help with that).

Below is a photo - no comments about my castle ornament please, I love it and wont part with it (well not yet anyway )

Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I agree with the previous comments, and after looking at
the tank it appears that you have alot of slow growing,
low to medium light, plants in a high light environment
(open tank) I would suggest purchasing something that
will grow to provide some surface cover. It could be
some stem plants that could be spaced in back corners
or along the back and allowed to grow across the surface
to shade the low light plants that you favor. Or you
could purchase some jungle val and again, plant in the
corners and allow the long "slender" leaves to grow
across the surface and provide shade for the lower light
demand plants.

I've some low light crypts that were exposed to the full
light of my tank, and they grew, but stayed small (3-4
inches) until I let some stem plants grow across the
surface and shade them. The crypts took off and are now
about 8 inches. I just trim the thickness of the
surface "carpet" to "adjust" the amount of light that gets
through to the substrate.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 13:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
thought the potassium might help with that
Exactly

Crypts and Anubias are plants that do fine in a low light setting as well. The sword and the mysterious (maybe you got a pic of that, too) grassy plant may require more.

Your tank looks very nice, although the mass of plants seems rather on the light side of things. Keep that in mind when dosing any ferts as uptake is limited.
no comments about my castle ornament please
I have to . Nothing wrong with the castle (for now), but what is up with the massive bubble wand behind it . (sorry, i couldn't resist, please forgive me).

Maybe shortening your lighting period may help fend off algae a little (on top of everything mentioned above). What is your water change ritual?

Ingo

PS: I really mean it when I say that the tank looks very nice.

Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 13:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
female australia
Thanks for the compliment Littlefish. The bubblewand has to stay as well . I love that to.

My water changes are 50% weekly.

Frank - I have tried various stem plants that grow up and across the surface but I just didn't like the look of it, it looked very untidy to me so I pulled them out. I will give the Jungle Vallis a go, the plant I used before was very messy and the fish seemed to like to nibble at it.

My Crypts are as you described yours without cover, very low growing and not much really happening with them.

The problem I have with planting is that the tank is only 14" wide and that doesn't give me much room to play with. Below are pics of the 3 different types of grassy plants.

Thanks for your input Littlefish and Frank.

This grass is very pale green

This one is variagated

This one is dark green and slightly curled ends to the leaves.

Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 15:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bowiechaser
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
female usa
I think that your castle+bubble wand looks very nifty in there.

Why do you do a 50% water change every single week? That's quite the water usage! I thought we should only do 20-30% weekly or biweekly. Is that wrong?

~Lisa
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2006 19:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies