SubscribeFish for a 29g Planted?
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Hi,
I have just finished setting up my second planted tank. Its a 29g and heavily planted. I've used gravel from my older planted tanks (setup for at least a year) and the power filter from the same. I hope the tank wont go through a cycle.
Now the fish variety available in my area is very limited, especially for planted tanks. I would like a small school of tetras and something to handle algae. Here are the species not available which otherwise, I would love to have:

1. Ottos, SAEs
2. Cardinal tetra
3. Rams (Ive seen them just once in my lifetime)

Neons are also difficult to find but I can manage getting some. One store has penguin tetras in very good condition but they didnt appeal me much. Barbs are available though in all types. I've also seen some threadfin rainbows. How about some small corys as bottomsfeaders?
If not schoolers, can I get in a pair of small discus? The tank is a tall one. Angels is another option (how many? if the tank size allows).
Im so severely handicapped. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 14:26Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
mughal113,

Here is my opinion on what to do:

- Stay away from larger fish, and an SAE will eventually be one of these (I like little fish, oh surprise).
- Don't stock the tank like you would for a non-planted tank, stock lesser.
- Oto's seem a good choice, get maybe 5 of them, and then wait a few weeks before adding other fish.
- Cories, albeit the smaller ones are good with regards to size of the tank, like to have some form of ground available. You say your tank is heavily planted, so do you have any open space for them to frolic over?
- Rams are very nice, a pair may work out well. But - not until the tank is settled and stable, so basically months into the future.
- Discus and Angels are too big, period
- A nice school of tetras or rasboras would be perfect, how about 8 of them?

And that's it for now,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 15:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Im with ingo on this, and Id like to add that ottos can be a bit water sensitive too, so maybe hold off on them until the tank is stable. Maybe a nice plec like a bristlenose, and then you have your pick of tetras, maybe dwarf neon rainbows, corydoras, kuhli loaches etc.
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 18:58Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
Hi LF and LHG,
Thanks for the response. But u know, thats the problem I mentioned. Ottos, rams and cardinals are NOT available. I need alternates for these!
My plan is also going with a school of smaller fish instead of few biggers ones.
BTW, i just added four small mollies this morning to start the cycle and keep the algae under control(if it appears) and tested the water in the evening. No ammonia, nitrite. Looks like the old filter and gravel are doing a great job. I'll test for a few days to come and then start properly stocking it.
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 19:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
How about Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus or the Flying Fox for the algae control. I do believe that these guys get a bit larger though, possibly around 5" so no sure if they would work or not in your tank.

I guess the rest of the stocking would really depend on what's available. Possible some of the smaller barb's would work out, but again that's going to depend on your personal preferences.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 20:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
How about a pair of Keyhole cichlids, a farlowella
catfish (twig catfish) for algae control,
and a school of rummynose tetra or glowlight tetra
or neon or threadfin rainbows or dwarf praecox rainbows, etc.
Farlowella Acus, the twig catfish is the best fish out there for algae control. While acheiving about 6 inches in length, these fish are as slender as a #2 pencil, except for the head.
Great peaceful fish for a planted tank.

Discus definitely wont work, they reach sizes of a dinner plate (about 10 inches in diameter), and even a pair would need a minimum 55g tank for space. Angels could work, a single or a pair.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2007 22:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Harlequin rasboras are another nice addition for a school, if you can get them. I have 6 in my 29g planted and they will soon become 12.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 04:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
Hi,
A school of Harlequin rasboras or Neon tetras is what I have decided to go with. The next consignment is going to be here at the LFS on coming Tuesday. Then I'll see what I can get.
Algae eater still remains a question. A farlowella would be great. I'll see if I can get one.
Some diffused sunlight manages to reach the tank. Thats what caused loads of algae in my smaller tanks. This time I've come up with a strategy. I keep the tank covered with a dark cloth throughout the day This has helped so far.
What about a chinese hillstream loach? It stays small and is available. But i'm not sure how its gonna treat the plants, especially, the smaller foreground ones.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_hillstream.php

Well, here is the tank so far:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/mughal113/29g/29_5.jpg
The foreground plants (glosso) is hardly visible and the plants need to grow a bit before the tank comes into a presentable shape!
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 10:45Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
I have a 29 gallon with YoYo Loaches, Otos, Gold Barbs, Ruby Barbs, and Tiger Barbs. It's certainly a lively and interesting tank. Nice tank but you should get some more plants to hide that equipment.
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 22:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
school of Harlequin rasboras or Neon tetras
A good choice. I agree with girliegirl & would pick the rasboras - nice fish & they seem more hardy than the neons or cardinals.

Good luck with finding an algae eater. Shame you can't get otos. I have heard (& found out for myself) that SAE's can get aggressive & may try to eat the slime coat off your fish).

Anyway, have fun

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2007 00:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Tankwater,
SAEs (Crosscheilus Siamensis) usually dont bother fish at all. You are probably thinking of gyrincheilos aymoneiri,
the Chinese Algae Eater (CAE).

Chinese hillstream loaches are a tricky fish to keep.
They prefer cooler waters (72F) and heavy water flow and high levels of oxygenation.
If kept in tanks designed for them, they do very well and live for a decade or more.
In tanks that are warmer or with less water flow or oxygen, they tend to live only a few months to a year.

Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2007 01:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
Nice tank but you should get some more plants to hide that equipment.

Brian, thanks for the kind words. The planting has just begun. I haven't purchased a single plant yet for this tank. All have come from my 15g tank. Hope to get some on coming tuesday. And I have taken care of the equipment now. Its much better concealed now.

Shame you can't get otos.

TankWatcher, I share the same feelings Planted tanks are not at all common in my area. People like BIG fishes like oscars,arowanas, pacus and pangasius catfish. Nobody care for fish like Otos And by the way, are Chinese ALgae Eaters good at eating algae?

So_Very_Sneaky, it means it isn't recommended to put in the hillstream loach. Im disappointed a bit, coz I really like the little fish. Anyway, its much better not to have one if you can't give it a proper home.

Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2007 06:44Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
You could always try one Mughal.
They are great algae eaters indeed and very cool to look at. It just may not live the longest.

Chinese algae eaters are good at eating algae when small, once they reach about 4-5 inches they stop eating algae and become more omnivorous. As they creep up to their max size of 8-11 inches, they often turn on fish in the tank. They are piscivorous - they hunt and eat fish as adults.
If you have a good LFS who allows for trades of fish, you could get a young CAE and trade it back for a smaller one when it gets bigger.

Do you ever see Bristlenose Plecos around you? They are superb algae eaters and only average 4 inches or so.
Inspector plecos (L201) are great too, again 4 inches.

Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2007 23:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
So finally, I've got 12 neon tetras. They look to be in good shape and after being introduced into the tank, they started schooling immediately. None of them looked for hiding places. I think its a good sign

So_Very_Sneaky, your advice worked very well I've got a two inch CAE and its eating algae like crazy wherever it finds some. I'll return it when I find a good alternative. Even if I have to give it away, $0.5 wont hurt Thank you very much for ur support!
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 19:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies