SubscribeFloating plants
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
I guess I'm in the right area(I hope), even though this is called "Planted Aquaria", but it was suggested to me by an Administrator in another area to get some floating plants to help a nitrate situation that water changes are having little affect helping in a low populated tank(weird).

So, I'm asking about what would be good type floatong plants mainly for South American fish (native?).
AND does that cut down on the light getting to the bottom (where the fish most are)of my tank, if I don't "overdue" to number and amount of plants.

My eartheater would be "hard" on plants trying to grow in the substrate....plus foating plants need "Less Care", right?

What kinds of plants would you recommend I float for the water quality help on my South Americans, Please?
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2008 18:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
great plants to float are frogbit, duckweed, hornwort (java moss attached to cork or a floating peice of wood) water sprite, and etc. these are all very good plants to grow, but i am not sure of their native-ness... danger, ducweed gets messy!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2008 02:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria

I think you will find all floating plants will take some of the light away from the bottom.
I have been using Water sprite for years if the tank is right for them it can grow very fast. I would run miles away from Duck weed it is a weed it can and often clogs up filters.
At the moment I have some water sprite to give away but sorry I can not get it to you.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2008 03:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
anacharis makes a nice floating plant as well, no maintenance, grows easily...
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2008 03:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Water hyacinth is native to South America. I'm sure there are other floating plants native to South America but that's the one I know.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2008 06:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
right....duckweed is out! thanks

brandeeno,
Java Moss looks like a possiblity, IF...I attach it to some floating wood. I read that it spreds thru a tank Fast and can "take over"...Ha! I just want a bit for the fish to munch on, and help the water. I'd need to control it, by keeping it floating...and "thin it out" when spreading too much. A possibilty, thanks.

Scottf,
I looked at Anacharis, and it appears in the example photo to be a rooted plant. Very nice looking though:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+780&pcatid=780
The article mentions needing "fertilization"...as that by fish waste? I really don't want to get into substrate fertization at all, if I can help it.

keithgh,
Water Sprite looks planted too, in the example I found.
http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_cerato.php
You are kind to offer it, thank you. What did you mean by "if the water is right, please? Con some plants like that be either rooted, or floating?

Shinigami,
Hyacinth is pretty, but wouldn't work with my hood. What other floating SA/CA plants are available in most fish stores?

Thanks all...this is interesting. Please answer and suggest/inform me of some others, please.I never know what/how many choices I'll have at LTFS.

thank you very much
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2008 18:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
Water sptie is going to be your best bet. It makes an awesome floating plant and can grow up to three inches a day. Very easy to trim and toss out the extra or use it for soemthing else. And would suck up nitrates like no tommorrow. I use it in my tad pole tank for that very reason.
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2008 07:33Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The only water sprite I have every seen is a floating plant and as Gourami stated it is easy to grow. The correct conditions are basically a ph about 6-7 and certainly not above and a softer water. I have enough to give away about once a month.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2008 08:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Should I do anything to the Water Sprite before putting into my tanks....Like "treat" for possible snails, etc., please?
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2008 15:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
rinse it under running water and run your fingers firmly (to so firmly that you break the plant) this will either cruch the snails, or push them off, also it should get rd of any eggs... you can also try an alum bath (the stuff you use to wash your veggies)... should do the trick!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2008 21:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
AFAIK, water sprite can be planted, but they will eventually make daughter plants that will float to the surface, with the death of the adult plant.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2008 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 30-Apr-2008 18:09
This post has been deleted
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies