SubscribeGF07's 5.5 Nano Log- 12/19/07
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
UPDATE: 12/27/07

I finnally got the rocks from my LFS yesterday. IT was very cheap, only $5 for 3 hand sized rocks. We brought them home and i washed them under cool water with a toothbrush to scrape off anything else. I had to rearrange the plants in order to fit everything in there, but the one clump of pearlgrass is pretty much a goner. It wasnt doing too good in the first place, and didnt really look good, but i kept it for a while. Then, when i moved the rocks around, i trimmed it up, and i ended up throwing away more than half of it! I was quite upset too. Well, here are the pix of the tank now...

FTS

Left Side

Middle

Right Side

Closeup Mid

Closeup Left

Closeup Right

If anybody has any suggestions as to how they should be setup, please do tell. I tried my best to make it look natural, and i hope that the carpeting plants will fill in soon.

Thanks,
~Goby

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 19:24Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
it looks really good!!!

you might want to put some java (or other type) moss on the rocks if you desire them to be covered... and maybe spread the rocks out a bit... but i know space is limited so it is hard!!!

it is looking rather good and coming along really well!

ps you might want to take those little plant peices off the intanke and put them in a breeder net or in a pot in the tank so they will grow... then replant...

/:'

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2007 19:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
UPDATE: Week 3, 12/30/07-

I have sloped the tank a bit, and rearanged the rocks to better fit the Sanzon Iwagumi style, as the rocks were facing away from the middle, rather than pointing to the middle. I have also moved some of the Pearlgrass to fit the plan of the tank better. Watcher the betta is doing just fine in the tank, and the shrimp are easily doing their job, and living peacefully and safely along the betta. I got a mirror to let Watcher flare up for a bit, and I took some pix while I was at it. Here are the pix:

FTS

Ghost Shrimp

Ghost Shrimp Closeup

Watcher

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2007 06:47Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Goby,

I only skimmed your original posts, but what are you using for ferts in this tank? Your HM seems to be suffering a bit. Are you adding any kind of carbon source? I see a little too much mottled brown in there for comfort. HM usually grows pretty easily, but it can get temperamental IME. What's the deal on the ferts?

Rich

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 20:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
EditedEdited by GobyFan2007
Hi Nowherman!

I am feeling very stupid right now.....I completely forgot to put up the fertilizers and schedule! I am going to correct it in the main post, but here they are:

• Leaf Zone-2 times a week

• Flourish-Every other day

• Kens Pro Plant (Nitrogen) 2 or 3 times a week

• Jungle Labs water conditioner w/ Trace Minerals and Co2 Tabs

Heres a typical week of dosing:

Monday

<1ml of Flourish

1/2 tab of Co2/Trace Minerals

Tuesday

.5ml of Leaf Zone

1/2 tab of Co2 Trace Minerals

1ml of Pro Plant

Wednsday

<1ml of Flourish

1/2 Tab of Co2 Trace Minerals

Thursday

.5ml of Leaf Zone

1ml of Pro plant

Friday

<1ml of Flourish

Saturday

.5ml of Leaf Zone

1ml of Pro plant

Sunday

<1ml of Flourish

Also, maybe part of the reason why the Pearlgrass, or HM (I dunno which is better to call) was looking bad, is because i just got them from the LFS, and i had taken them out of thier rockwool, but accidentally snapped a lot of roots. The actual plant was not in such good condition.....The LFS crammed all the potted plants into one tank, and the pearlgrass was at the bottom........Of course. I took the pictures right after i bought some of them, and right now, they are growing in very well. I have checked the plant deficiency chart, and i am not sure what deficency the plant is having? The HM BTW has changed its leaves from a rounded shape, to a sharper, more jagged shape. I will be sure to have pix ASAP! THe glosso is doing swell as of now, and i have to trim it once it get s a bit taller.

Anything else? I am hoping that someone can comment on the Iwagumi style scape, as i am not sure if it is Iwagumi, and i want to see peoples opinions on the rock placement. Other than that, i hope everything goes well! Iwagumi is definately a challenge for me!

~Goby

EDIT: I am using whats left of the Flourish Excel i have, and i may or may not get another bottle, as it is harder to find around my area.....

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2008 04:37Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hey Goby,

I am hoping that someone can comment on the Iwagumi style scape, as i am not sure if it is Iwagumi, and i want to see peoples opinions on the rock placement. Other than that, i hope everything goes well! Iwagumi is definately a challenge for me!

As I've mentioned elsewhere I'm of the opinion that you should place less emphasis on strictly conforming to a particular style. This is your tank that you have to look at and maintain - you should be doing with it what is pleasing to you.

The reference material that you have consulted in planning the tank has given you the inspiration as well as the basic framework and guidelines... now it's time to personalise it and make it your own creation. Trust your own judgement, try things out, see what looks good and works for you.

I like the choice and placement of the rocks, but that's neither here nor there. Do you like them?

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2008 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
I would like to see a shot of the tank farther back, which includes the outline of the tank. It would give a better perspective that way...... for me anyway.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2008 19:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Goby , I've only just seen this and your thread about light , and I have to agree with Ingo
as far as light is concerned . You may have +5wpg but on these small tanks everything
I've read says that the WPG rule falls down the smaller the tank goes . The only real
guide I've found is at the attached link .
My point is the style you are going for will require a very high light and good fert schedule .

So my suggestion is to have a look at this ref
http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html
And also go to the Seachem site and have a look at this dosing guide .
http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDosingChart.html.

Neither of these are definative ... but they should give you a good starting point to do
your own thing . Good luck with it , I think you've made a great start.

Hope this helps .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2008 12:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
GF-

I just wanted to let you know that I think your tank is looking good. I don't have much experience or knowledge so I can't help you along those lines. But I love the dark substrate and background, that really makes the plants pop.

Keep up the log, it'll be a great way for me to learn as you go!
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2008 16:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Thanks all for the replies!

Garry-

I have read the website, and i have figured out that i need twice the amount of light in order to grow these plants sucessfully! I am very, very grateful for this guide! Also, thanks for the Dosing chart! I think i will go fully seachem from now on, with excel as my Co2 source.

Fishpatty-

Ill get the pix to you right away, by tomorrow actually! Is there any more requests?

ScottF-

Thanks for the complements! I will keep updating, but only if there is a visible change. I will try my best to include pix as much as possible.

GT-

I think i will have to break off of the Iwagumi a bit....Too many plant species in there now. I will put dwarf hairgrass in there, as i like the look better than HM, but if i can grow HM, i will use it! Thanks for the comment on the rocks BTW!

Anyways, Heres an update: 1/6/08

I have put some wisteria and ludwigia cuttings in the background for now, until i get things up and running. I am getting my new CT betta tomorrow, and hopefully, the blue will pop out with remarkable color! I have added a heater, and it is set for 80F. The betta seems to be improving because of this, and he is now making large bubblenests, for no apparant reason! A happy betta is a betta that blows bubblenests!

I will also be going to get some brighter, more wattaged lights. I hope i can find a 47 watt bulb, and i hope it fits in the clip on!

I will post pix tomorrow!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 06:11Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Hi again!

I am so sorry for not posting the promised pix, but I couldnt find the cord to connect the computer with the camera. I ended up using my moms cord, and I sucessfully loaded them up! Here they are:

FTS as of now

Dwarf Hairgrass

My New CT Betta. Still Unnamed

Well that is the tank as of week 4.5 i think. I hope you enjoy! The plants havent grown in yet, and i cant find a 47 watt bulb, or anything similar, anywhere near me! I will continue looking, but i hope i can find it!

Thanks!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 04:45Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
I like your rocks! But if your plants are going to grow much more, the rocks might get buried? Guess you can cross that bridge when you come to it.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 18:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies