SubscribeHemianthus callichtroides mat
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
EditedEdited by Gone_Troppo
Hi,

I received some Hemianthus callichtroides which I tried planting strand by strand with tweezers in my tanks but I just can't seem to get it to stay planted. I really would like to see how this plant goes in my tank, but I just can't get it to stay down long enough to get established. I've gotten so sick of it floating around and blocking up my filter intakes that I started looking for another method.

I was looking at trying a similar method to that sometimes used with riccia (ie a mat of sorts - see this link for an example).

Has anyone else tried growing HC like this? Was it successful?

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 10:11Profile PM Edit Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
That the same as a Java Moss wall... It works but it doesn't fill in you will see the mesh. If you want it one the ground per say, you could try and pin it down, and later remove the pins after it attachs to the sub.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 15:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
That the same as a Java Moss wall

Yep, pretty much - I plan on doing a similar thing with java moss in a different tank and I'm fairly confident of success with that one, but I had not seen this method used with HC so I don't know if it will work with this species. I will be laying the mesh on the substrate and probably holding it down with some river stones, or a bit of substrate on the edges of the mesh.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 15:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies