Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow To Plant Moss Cuttings
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
male uk uk-england
i have just received a moss collection off the net, maybe cuttings, so how do you plant them?
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 20:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
You don't so much plant them as just tie them on to whatever you'd like them on. If you have driftwood or rocks, just use some cotton thread (degrades over time) or monofilament fishing line (doesn't degrade) to affix it. There are some mosses that you can create a mat on the back wall or the substrate, using a product like this.

What kind of moss did you get? I've been thinking about Christmas Moss for a moss wall in my tank.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 21:06Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Jeez, I want to DIY that moss wall so bad now, it looks sweet. Then again, my Java Moss isn't anything compared to the Christmas Moss in that pic.

I actually DIY'd this crazy moss raft. I tied the Java Moss to a piece of plastic canvas that I have floating in the tank. Doesn't look anywhere near as good as I thought it would, but maybe the moss will grow in.

Basically, moss will grow if you "plant" it, but it's not built for that. One thing you can do is try to find the parts of your aquarium, such as where two rocks are next to each other, where you might want to hide "lines" that might make your tank appear less natural. Then stick the Java Moss there and let them grow in, and voila, an even more natural-looking rock group. Other people like to make their pieces of driftwood these fuzzy moss-covered things, but I prefer the look of wood without the moss all over it. That said, the moss can be used for that as well.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2008 22:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
what kind of mosses?
most mosses will grow wherever they are attached... it can take them up to two months to acclimate and grow though so patience is required!

good luck?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 02:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
papasan
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 0
male uk uk-england
thanks for your help everyone,my moss is a 8x selection i bought of the net i have mislaid the delivery order but jarva and christmas come to mind, so my master plan is to tie the moss to the bottom sides of my pieces of wood hoping it will grow on up the wood and into the substrate
alas this will only work if i can find the sewing tin.

thanks again
papasan.
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2008 13:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies