SubscribeI Need Plant Suggestions For A 29G With 2.24Wpg...Please
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
I just recently set up my 29g. It has a 65w fixture for 2.24wpg.

The plants I have now are:
wisteria
rotala rotundifolia
dwarf sag
ludwigia repens
crypt wendtii red

Plants I will add:
Taiwon Moss
another crypt wendtii red

I would like to add Stargrass...but I know it is a high light plant. The plants I have in there now are doing extremely well...so I thought maybe a high light plant would do ok.

I am thinking about adding DIY CO2 to the tank...but I don't know if it would do any good since I only have a little over 2 wpg. I am not interested in upgrading the lighting because I just set the tank up.

The fish I have now are:
8 neons
8 glowlights
6 panda cories
3 cherry barbs
1 opaline/three spot gourami

I want some type of centerpiece plant. I don't know what to add. I thought about a Tiger Lotus...but just saw a picture of one in a smaller tank and it was HUGE! So, I quickly forgot that idea. What about some type of sword? What type would not be so big that it would make the tank look small?

I have a piece of DW that is about 10 inches long. It is Mopani wood. I will be putting Taiwon Moss on it when I get the moss (its on its way!).

Need any more info...just ask!/:'

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 05:10Profile PM Edit Report 
FLEXJr
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 32
Votes: 1
male canada
I'm also interested as I'm getting my first tank which is a 29G on Thursday (hopefully!!). Girlie, i think it was you who suggested the Anubias Nana Petite? i think thats what it's called. I really liked that idea.

This is my possible list of plants that i will be getting for my tank if you'd like some ideas, although i think we have a few of the same plants:

Java Moss
Anubias barteri
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Microsorum pteropus
Vesicularia dubyana
Sagittaria Subulata
Wisteria
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 06:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 393
Votes: 44
male australia
Any picture of your tank, GG? Might give us a better idea in terms of what plants to recommend once we see your current scape. The amount of lighting you have can grow quite a good range of plants so there's a lot of possibilities - mostly limited by size of the tank and amount of CO2. I would definitely recommend CO2 (DIY or pressurized) for that size tank and that amount of lighting.

-P
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 09:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
I am at work at the moment...so I'll get a picture up later. I don't have the DW in yet, because I am waiting on my moss and I think it will be easier to put the moss on the DW before I put it in the tank.

My wisteria needs serious trimming. It is taking over the right side of the tank...so I'll give it a haircut and get a picture tonight.

Your list sounds good Flex. I love crypts and may add different kinds to my tank...if I have the room.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2006 19:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
Ok I have pictures. First I'd like to say, that there is no order to the tank...I just put most of the plants in there during cycling to speed things up.

The vals are not staying...I will be moving them to another tank. The wisteria will soon be trimmed...didn't get to that tonight.

Sorry about the glares...bad photo taking.

Here is the left side:

Here is the right side:

Here is the whole tank:

And here is the small piece of DW that will be going into the tank. Sorry the picture is extra blurry.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 06:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
What are the dimensions of this tank? (Sorry not familiar with the common US sizes)

Some mid-ground plants would be good. Crypts (a lot of options), smaller swords (like echinodorus parviflorus tropica), small to medium anubias (e.g. nana), pearl grass, blyxa are some options.

I'd move the big wisteria group against the back right corner, the rotala to the back left corner, and the ludwigia to somewhere in between (so it doesn't get shaded by the wisteria jungle).

The plants look nice and healthy BTW.

-P
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 07:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to make a plant order in the next week, so I can start moving things around soon.

The dimensions are 30Lx12Wx18.75H (inches).

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 16:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FLEXJr
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 32
Votes: 1
male canada
I have a feeling your tank will look very nice when you get a plan together and the tank is flowing.

Yeah.. some trimming would definately help =P

Just curious, for lighting, what do you have? Two 24" flourescents?
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 22:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
EditedEdited by upikabu
OK, so it's basically a taller version of my 23g tank (30"x12"x15" ). If you're interested, have a look at what I've done with it. You can see what plants have worked and what plants just outgrew it.

-P
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 22:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
Just curious, for lighting, what do you have? Two 24" flourescents?

Nope...one 65w compact fluorescent. (Coralife brand fixture)

Upikabu: Thanks so much for the help...I will take a look at yours. I have glanced at the post...your tank is very nice. I will take time to read all of it though. /:'

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 22:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies