AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# LITTLE_FISH 20G Long Log
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLITTLE_FISH 20G Long Log
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Thanks you two, I am glad you like it ,

Here are a few close-ups of the tank

Narrow Leaf Ludwigia and Wisteria side by side

LITTLE_FISH attached this image:

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
My “experiment” with 3 tiny plantlings of Glosso in front of a Pygmy Chain Sword. We will see if and how it grows.

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
A view through the Xmas Bridge (I am open for a better name of this construct, winner gets a, hm, I don’t know )

czcz
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
Very nice.

---
http://justanothertank.com
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 393
Votes: 44
male australia
Hi Ingo,

I really love what you did with the driftwoods - that's a super arrangement!

The only little comment I have is perhaps putting some broader-leaved, darker green (or other color) plants near the right center to hide the filter intake(?) and create contrast to the star grass on the back right. I don't think the wisteria will be tight enough to cover that section, and it's a bit too similar looking to the star grass (could be just on the photo though). Perhaps something like giant hygro or sunset hyro. Just my 2c.

Anyways, great job!

-P
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks czcz and upikabu,

I appreciate you input.

upikabu – Giant Hygro sounds like it would be too tall for the tank as it is only 12”.

Overall, I was going for the reverse triangular layout that should show itself better when the plants grow taller (if they ever do ).

I guess I will just have to take tge filter intake out for the next picture .

Here is what I mean:

Green lines given by plant growth in the background, yellow lines given by wood structure. Does that make sense?

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
LF,
Did I miss something, why is the uptake in the middle?

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Don't know if you missed something

When I had the uptake on the right I got rather quickly BGA on the left side of the tank based on a lack of current. When I bought the filter (AC 50) I had no idea how weak it is, I have the AC 70 on the 29G and it seems to be 10 times the strength of this one.

Placing it in the middle creates a better current flow.

Ingo

Last edited by LITTLE_FISH at 22-Nov-2005 14:59

NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Good Lord, how did I miss this thread??

LF, stop creating beautiful tanks, the rest of us are trying to catch up!!! ]:|

But seriously, is this your second or third? Well done, as always

Back in the saddle!
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 393
Votes: 44
male australia
Oh, I didn't realize that the tank is only 12" tall (remember what you told me before about not reading the entire thread? I also have very short-term memory. ). In that case, yes the giant hygro would be too tall.

If you're going with the reverse triangular thingy, then the wisteria would probably grow too tall and bushy for the middle section (unless you can get your wisteria to grow close to the substrate and horizontally like tetratech's ). I never like how wisteria looks in anything but taller (>15" ) tanks anyway - it just looks all chopped up and not as dramatic. I tried it once in my 12" high tank and ended up throwing it all out.

I'd probably replace the wisteria with a variety of crypts (smaller ones in the middle, taller ones on the sides) if I were you. Another possibility I thought of was using a group Java Fern instead of stargrass on the back right. Something like in my 24"x12"x12" dwarf tank.

Last edited by upikabu at 22-Nov-2005 15:38

Last edited by upikabu at 22-Nov-2005 15:38

-P
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
LF I have a technical question, when you took everything out of this tank, you left the fish in. Would you have done that if you were also replacing the gravel? I will be replacing the gravel in my 25g and am trying to figure out the best way. Your tanks have definitely inspired me as I have just set up a 10g tank, using proper gravel, plants and some hardscape. I am nowhere near your league, but I am enjoying the results so far. Please let me know how adding the glosso to a smaller tank goes, then I may do the same. It looks so nice in the larger tank. I don't think I can choose a favorite tank, as I like them all so far!

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
To all - sorry my reply came so late

NowherMan6 – Thanks . This is my second tank, the first was (is) my 29G which also can bee seen in this forum and the third is the 125G.

upikabu – lovely gravel in your dwarf tank. Yeah, I hear you. I might be the master of Espei breeding but tetratech is the master of Wisteria taming . I will think about it when time comes to trim this tank. Right now I am settled with plant purchases, I had a few too many in the last few weeks .

luvmykrib – No doubt I would take the fish out. Removing the gravel will create a tremendous mess. OUT!
Thank you so much for your compliments, that’s what keeps me trying to get even better (and maybe another 100 reasons). For the Glosso – tank size is not an issue, light is. I have 2wpg on this tank and I will have to see if it is enough. Also, except for Flourish Excel there is no CO2 addition.

Ingo

luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
If the glosso needs 2 wpg then it should be able to grow in my 10g as that is it's wpg. It is long rather than tall. If I find some I will definitely try it! I have the 10g up and running, the danios are busy cycling the tank. The plants all look like they are going well. Yesterday I was tying anubias, java fern and moss onto rocks and the result looks good. I have no pictures. When I get the harlies I may have questions about them. But do you have any advice about the best kind to get? I love the espei's you have shown in the 125g. I'm waiting about 3 wks before adding any more fish, then the danios will go back to the 25g.

-Family Circus
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
luvmykrib,

Do I have an advice on what kind of Harlies to get? Well sure, mine

The are commonly called Harlequin Rasbora Espei, the new (since 1999 I believe) Latin name is Trigonostigma espei. BTW, the picture that you see in this fish’s profile here at FP is incorrect as it shows a Harlequin Rasbora Hengeli, trust the ones you have seen in my log .

You can shoot me any question about them, maybe I don’t know the answer, maybe I do.

And I will keep you posted on the Glosso growth.

Tank Note:

I had to replant the Star Grass to the middle of the back as it did not receive enough light in the corners. I placed the Wisteria in its spot. Now I am thinking about getting a PC for this tank, but that would almost be overkill as I don’t intend to inject CO2. The standard wattage for this size of a tank (30 inches long) would be 65W or 55W, so at least 2.75wpg, almost too much I assume.

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
As promised, here is an update on the Glosso.

The 3 plants (leaves) have been in the tank now for 10 days and they begin to send out runners. It is for sure not yet a carpet but I will soon start to remove the plants around it so it can cover the entire section in front of the Moss Bridge.

Also, the tank has now 3 pearl gouramies as QT guests - purchased today - let's hope they don't think the Glosso is food .

luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
Love the glosso! I may try it in my 10g as the tank bottom is a lot closer to the light than the 25g. When it is time to replace the bulb in the 10g I will be getting a flora-glo or similar.
Do gouramis eat plants? They looked pretty nice as well. So your nicest tank is your QT. Could be worse, all your tanks look great! /:'

-Family Circus
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
luvmykrib,

I don't know if Gouramies eat healthy plants, guess we will find out .

In case you care, go to my 125G log and look at page 25 (I think), there are pictures of the Pearl Gouramies.

Thanks for your compliments,

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
I had to replant the Star Grass to the middle of the back as it did not receive enough light in the corners. I placed the Wisteria in its spot. Now I am thinking about getting a PC for this tank, but that would almost be overkill as I don’t intend to inject CO2. The standard wattage for this size of a tank (30 inches long) would be 65W or 55W, so at least 2.75wpg, almost too much I assume.
LF how is the stargrass doing. In my 72 it has completely stopped and I have 2.7 plus co2.

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
tetratech,

The Star Grass is hanging in. It doesn’t look as pretty as it did before I started to replant the tank about 3 weeks ago but it doesn’t die back either. I took a small group out about a week ago and placed it in the 125G. This piece doesn’t grow too much either.

Ingo

tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
How long have you actually had a same (stargrass) plant. So you get a clipping from a supplier. It grows like mad and then nothing and I know your no3 didn't bottom out.

My Scapes
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I have my Star Grass since maybe 6 months. I got about 4 stems that were in bad shape and added them to my 29G. there they grew to a nice group, but based on changes to that tank I placed some of the stems in the 20G and threw out the rest. These had grown into a jungle (as can be seen on the earlier pages of this thread) and then were thinned out - thrown out - for the current setup.

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Gang,

Just for the fun of it, a new picture of the tank. Not too much has changed, the tank is greatly neglected when it comes to frequent fertilization. Right now it fulfills its purpose of a quarantine tank more than anything else.

Nevertheless, a slow growth of the plants is detectable, and none seems to disintegrate.

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
A new close-up of the “Glosso Experiment”. It is growing, but maybe 4 new tiny leaves in a week or so. Older leaves (at least the ones that were there when I planted the piece a few weeks ago) turn brown. To be continued .

Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
No need to be so modest --it's very, very pretty.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:26Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Cup,

Thank you so much for the compliment, I really appreciate your input.

Ingo

luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
The glosso looks great, I like that it is growing. I'm still on the look-out but I haven't seen any available locally. I won't mail-order at this time of the year. The weather is getting colder and soon we'll have a really good cold snap. -30 C is a common temp in January/February.
How are the gouramis doing since the other one died?
Keep posting those pics!I wish my main tank lookes as well as your QT!

-Family Circus
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
luvmykrib,

Yeah, the Glosso is growing, but really slowly. I guess if I had more in there it would be able to cover the ground faster. -30C, wow, now that is what I call cold, I am shivering just by the thought of it.

The Pearls are doing just fine, the boy is very territorial and chases the girl away when she enters his space, which happens to be almost the entire tank. This doesn’t worry me too much as I guess he will not be able to patrol the whole 125 . Occasionally he tolerates her around and at these times both gently nip at each others flanks. Don’t know if that is what Pearls call love .

Ingo

PS: I would like to post more pictures, but very little new stuff happens to the tank at the moment.

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
A little update on this tank as it is 2 weeks ago that I posted the last pictures.

First of all, I think I give up on the Glosso test. It seems that the combination of low light (2wpg) and infrequent fertilization, plus no CO2 injection, does not fair well on this plant. It hasn’t died but I haven’t seen any growth in a while either. Any new leaf that ever came in is tiny and barely higher than the gravel. I will not take it out though, but I guess any hope to create a carpet under these conditions has faded . I might upgrade the light though, but this would not be the same test anymore.

Here is the glosso:

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Next, a shot of the whole tank. I have pruned the Ludwigia on the left about a week ago as it was growing out of the water. Also, you can see that the stems grow strongly towards the light-intensive center in the tank.

The Xmas Moss is growing in nicely though, Wisteria and Dwarf Sags are doing fine as well, the Star Grass is so-so.

What do you think?

Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
LF,

This last picture with the fish right up front make the tank look really small. I know it is a small tank and your QT but I would have to say put something much smaller in there. Over all I really like this tank. You have kept things pretty simple and I am begaining to think that is a really good thing.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wingsdlc,

Keeping it simple can be a nice thing, in particular for a tank that one doesn’t want to spend too much time on other than feeding, water change, and the occasional pruning. But it also can be a boring thing. Maybe not when looking at the tank, but growth and progress is really slow and as such one gets bored (at least I am) .

And about smaller fish in there: well, you said it, it is a QT and as such the fish in there (except for the platies) will change frequently. I have truly enough small fish in my 125G now and any new fish in the near future in the QT would most likely be a little larger. BTW, I think the largest fish in there now is barely over 2” long.

Ingo

Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
LF,

About the fish size: maybe it seems that way because they are all very close to the front of the tank.

I am starting to understand what you aer talking about with the growth issue. My tank isn't growing out of the top of the tank but my plants are pretty healthy and are growing. Just not right out of the tank. I am also not dealing with any major algae issues. Six to one, half a dozzen to the other I guess........

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Happy New Year,

Just for the fun of it and to show that the fish are not all that big

Here is a shot of the Pearls under the bridge of driftwood and Xmas Moss. Two of the 5 Platies forced their way in the picture as well .

Ingo

luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
They either like getting photos done or they were hoping for some chow!
I will be practicing taking pictures with my new digital camera. Soon I too can post pics of my tanks and show off my fish!
For a QT tank it is great! I would be proud to have it in my living room. Please?

The glosso didn't work out eh? Maybe more ferts and light would have been better. I am still looking for it locally to try in my 10g, it has 1.5 wpg and I think it would work there.

-Family Circus
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
luvmykrib,

Thanks for the compliment on the tank

No doubt would it work better with more ferts and light, but then the tank would not be low lights (maybe medium) anymore, and that was what the test was all about.

Hypothesis: The Glosso will not grow in a 1.5wpg 10G tank.

Now you go ahead and proof me wrong and I wouldn’t mind at all if you do so, as long as you are willing to share all the details of any potential success.

Thanks again,

Ingo

fishys_cant_fly
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 114
Votes: 2
male usa
Little_fish, thats one cute platy!Wanna send some fry to me... 17-28 days till my fry*looks at watch* Great tank How much did u spend in total?
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
fishys_cant_fly,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it

Yeah, I like this kind of Platy (Gold Twin Bar or Comet) so much that I was willing to buy it from a store that is not known for healthy fish as it was not available at my LFS.

And don’t worry about having fry only in a while; you will eventually have too many no matter what, as long as you have enough hiding places in the tank.

How much did I spend – seriously, I have no idea . Let’s see:

All-Glass Aquarium 20G Long tank, 100W heater, AquaClear 50 filter, 2x20W All-Glass Aquarium hood, glass top, timer for light, power strip, 2 pieces of driftwood, 1 55oz. bag of Laterite, maybe 40 to 60 lbs of gravel, very cheap background cardboard from hobby store, and a few fishies. All plants were free as they came from my other tanks. Probably $200 to $300.

Thanks again,

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Here is the latest addition to the tank, a tiny platy fry, maybe a quarter of an inch. I found him in the bucket this weekend when I did the water change and I couldn’t let him go down the drain, literally.

So I saved him

I also added a question about this guy [link=In This Post]http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/forums/General%20Freshwater/67681.html?200601031753" style="COLOR: #ff6633[/link].

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
A quick tank update,

Nothing much has changed in the last 2 weeks, I trimmed the Ludwigia on the left and thinned out the runners from the foreground plants.

The Glosso eventually ended any growth, the latest leaves were no larger than 2mm. That sounds great, like a miniature version of itself, but then any growth stopped and additional leaves come in anymore.

The Pearls were moved to the big tank last weekend and yesterday I added the next set of QT fish, 4 Dwarf Neon Rainbow juveniles.

I don’t know if they are all still alive right now, it is still early and the lights are off in the room where the tank is (basement).

Ingo

Here is a shot of the tank:

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And here is the sole male of the rainbows:

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I addded 2 more male Rainbows, so now there are 6 - 3m, 3f - in there, at least for the next few weeks

Ingo

LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Quick tank update:

All 6 Rainbows that have been added to this tank a few weeks ago (because it is a QT and they were new) have been moved to the big tank last night. The lower fish load gave me the chance to be a little bit more active during the water change. I performed the following (in addition to standard tasks):

- Remove both pieces of driftwood and heavily trim them in a bucket with water
- Remove all but one piece of Star Grass. For some reason it didn't grow to nicely anymore. It grew, but just not pretty enough.
- Cut off some branches from the Wisteria and replant them in the spots where the Star Grass used to be

The one thing that worries me a little about this tank is that it has waaaaaay too many hiding spots and today I have seen at least 7 new Platy fry
Culling is not my strength, I am a wuss at heart. Maybe I raise them and somebody (LFS) might take them. Or, with the new trimming in place, the adults are a little more active in fry control.

Ingo

Anyway, here is the tank:

Attached Image:

Tank as of 2/12/2006

Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2006 00:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Not much changed in the tank, except maybe that I count 6 fry that for sure will make it to adulthood as they are already swimming in the open and the others don't seem to mind (all Platies).

The one thing that changed from the last picture is behind the tank. I am playing with different backgrounds. This one is white and cost 90 cents, plus tax . Unfortunately there is still some tannings going on from the wood, so the white doesn't come fully through yet. What do you think?

Attached Image:

White Background

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2006 23:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Also,

Here is a female of the second generation, means her mother was the actual purchase (I also have 3rd generation platies in there).

Attached Image:

Female Twin Bar

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2006 23:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And here she is again, with her brother (and probably mate). Doesn't he look like a punk with his bright red dorsal fin ?

Attached Image:

Female and Male Platy

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2006 23:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Nice photos as always. Not sure I really care for the lighter background, although it's not really "white" it tends to give a washed out appearance to the tank that IMO kind of distracts from the plantings.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2006 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Not sure I really care for the lighter background

I also think the other background looked better. The Ludgwiga needs a trim to high and it's competing with the center.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2006 04:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I like the blue much better than the "white". The filter doesn't jump out as much. Personaly I like a dark blue or black but its your game.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2006 04:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Thanks guys for the input

Yup, might very well be that the blue background looks better. Nevertheless I will give it some time, at least until there are no tannins left in the water. Not sure about this, but I think a white background has one advantage: it reflects more light back into the tank and as such growth should be better.

And what would the world be if we all had dark blue or black backgrounds on all our tanks .

Yeah tetratech, a trimming is due, I will get to it maybe next weekend or the one after.

Thanks,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2006 11:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BubbleLover
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 32
Votes: 45
female australia
Hi Little Fish,
Just checking out your pics and what can I say? 'Very Nice' Now if only I can get my plants to look and stay healthy!!
BubbleLover

My Fish like swimming all day long,
They love my bubbles 'pop' on their bum!

http://photos.yahoo.com/shedevil_90
Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2006 05:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
bubblelover,

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

And don't worry, my plants don't always look that nice
Give it some time and your tank will be just as nice, if not even better.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 16:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Pretty much a month has gone by without a new tank picture, so I decided to add one now

Not much has happened to the tank since then. The Lugwigia on the left was trimmed and the moss and wisteria are slowly growing back from the last trimming/replanting.

Currently, there are a pair of Apistogramma viejita II as quarantine guests in the tank, I hope they will survive (not that they are sick, but I haven't had too much luck with SA cichlids). If you would like to see them up-close HERE is a link to some pictures in my 125G log.

Thanks for checking in,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Tank on 3/19/2006

Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 01:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thoughs are some fat platies! Tanks looking good. Still not so sure I like the background though.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2006 01:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
O.K. I still like this tank. It has the main character(the crossing branches) but it needs more of a supporting cast.

You need to keep the center cross branches as the high pont. On the sides you should have cascading type growth that will have some height, but for the most part will fall over the edges of the branches. It should be the same plant on each side. That would also create some interest as it blends with the foreground a bit.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 04:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Thanks for the input to both of you

Yeah, the platies are well fed and most of them are females that always seem to be pregnant. Pretty much on a weekly base I see fry and a few make it through that stage. That's how I turned 2 females into about 10.

tetratech - I hear you . For the next few weeks the tank interior is for sure not going to change, the QT fish have priority. The only thing I may do is to trim the Moss and the Ludwigia (if they grow too tall again). Overall, growth (except the Moss) in this tank is very slow and I may even lose some plants as I stopped dosing all together for the time being (don't want to risk the life of the Apistos by any means).

Having different plants in this tank also has another purpose: Some fish may find one or the other more to their likings and I never know which fish is coming in next. For example, the Pearls loved to hide in the Ludwigia when scared while most other fish are never in that area.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 12:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Quick Tank Update:

Not too much has happened within the last maybe 3 weeks. Growth is incredibly slow as I did not add any ferts or Flourish Excel at all to avoid any discomfort to the Apistos (it would probably not have mattered, but just in case). They are still in the tank, maybe for one or two more weeks (depending on the progress on the big tank).

Last weekend I removed all male Platies from this tank as they were behaving to wild. I added them to my 29G which of course is overstocked now. So currently there are only 3 females left in this tank, of varying ages (plus the Apisto pair).

Here is a close-up of the Narrow Leaf Ludwigia group on the left back of the tank. The top leaves have gotten some nice coloration, but as I said before, growth is really slow.

Attached Image:

Ludwigia Group

Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2006 17:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Now, the keen observer may have detected in the last picture that the background is no longer white. That is the other change I did to the tank today. This is again a piece of foam sheet that I purchased at the hobby store for $5. Its color, when not behind an aquarium, is sky blue.

Do you like it better than the white one?

Ingo

Attached Image:

Whole Tank

Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2006 17:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
LF,

I think I do like that color better than the white. Seems to make the tank look brighter or something like that.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 00:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Yeah I like the blue better too. Nit-Picky hardware question? Why do you keep the HOB right in the middle back. It distracts from the peaceful feel of where the DW meets in the middle. I don't know where it is your room but have you thought about hanging the HOB on the left or right side then the intake would be in that darker area on the side.

I also find it funny that you spend a good amount of money on this great hobby, but you have a 59 cent thermometer (very retro)

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 00:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I am with Tetratech on the filter but I think LF had some sort of a reason back a while ago.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 04:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies