L# Live plants for Gouramis,etc.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLive plants for Gouramis,etc.
patman
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
I have a 55 gal. woth some Gouramis, Giant Danios, Silver Dollars, and a Red Tailed Black Shark. I currrently have artificial plants in the tank, but I am thinking about trying out some live plants. What kind of plants are recommended for these fish that a beginner can work with? Thanks, Pat
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2007 23:13Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Silver dollars will make a meal out of any plants you put in there. I'd suggest you stick with the fake ones. If you are going to try anything make sure it's tough, like anubias barteri or tastes funny like "onion" plants (crinum thianum).

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2007 23:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Out of all the plants that last longest with my silver dollars java fern is the one. Even then of theyre bored they will chop at them a bit. Plants with silver dollars is a complete pain in the rear, you will be forever unblocking filter unlets and skimming plant pieces out of the tank with a net.

Go plastic or rocks, or use stuff they will eat, but grow back and survive, like duckweeds and other floating plants. Java fern at a push.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2007 00:58Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It looks like you have to make a decision between live plants and the Silver Dollars. As far as the Gouramis I have a lot of floating Water Sprite and they often nibble on that yet I still through out a hand full every month.
I believe there are some Gourami that will eat plants mine are all Opaline.
The RTBS will be no problem with the plants.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2007 04:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies