SubscribeLonger Day Time?
greenfootball
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 360
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by greenfootball
was just wondering about this... since i want to see the java moss to settle in and attach to my DW, so you guys think i could leave the lights on a little longer to help it grow/attach? i am thinking something around 13-14 hours for just a couple days then tune back to 10-11? doesnt most plant nurseries do this to boost growth and profitability? i know i am not suppose to do that, but will that hurt anything other then algae growth?
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 05:29Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
there's really no need - java moss is virtually a weed in aquatic terms, and will flourish in whatever conditions you currently provide. the extra light will only profit the algae in your tank. i would just let it be - yes, it grows slowly, but then before you know it you're trimming it back and throwing the spare stuff out. light will not increase its ability to 'cling' to your driftwood - but patience will.
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 06:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited by superlion
No need, as previously stated it will only help the algae grow. Java moss does great even in very low light conditions, and before long you'll be pulling handfuls out and putting them in the trash.

Tying the moss to your driftwood with cotton thread is about the best thing you can do to get it to attach well.

><>
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 07:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I personally dont think it would make any difference at all. Java moss plants require, light, good water, and ferts plus a place where it can attach its self. Mine came with some other plants I received and it attached its self to the DW. I would tie it securely with 15lb nylon fishing line it will very quickly grow over the line and not be a problem.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 07:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies