Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMatty 50g
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Hey the tank is looking pretty good. I like the tighter plant groupings. I think you need to move your crypt next to your DW in the midground. That would look sweet!

What plants do you have on the right hand side?

Want to do a shrimp trade sometime soon? Send me a PM.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 01:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Thanks for the replies and compliments Robyn, wings.

Robyn- I lost my frog quite a while ago . I tore the viv down after that. It was probably 6 months or so after I got the little guy. He developed a disease called short tounge syndrome where he couldn't catch the food I added for him.

Wings- I have some narrow leaf java fern on the right and some ludwigia repens. I might move those crypts into the midground as you suggest. I just need more growth (foreground plants in general) for me to get the scape how I want it. I'll be sending a pm your way.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 05:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Wings and I met up to swap a few shrimp and plants. He gave me a TON of blyxa, enough to cover the entire front of my tank. I also got a BN pleco. Thanks to Wings .

So here's a new shot of the tank from today after a water change:

Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2008 22:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I guess I had a bunch of Blyxa. Just think that was only one side of the tank and I have at least that much on the other side. I am quite surprised at how much space in your tank the blyxa takes up.

I am not exactly sure what I am going to do with all that pelia you gave me. I opened it up and it doubled in size! The onion plants look quite sweet in the classroom tank too!
Here is the school tank shortly after being set up this fall. I need to get another picture to post sometime soon.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2008 23:51Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
wow the tank is moving along great!

you lucked out finding a pal like wings to help you out along the way!

some interesting rocks or smaller pieces of DW could off set the central focus of the one piece of drift wood and allow for the eye to catch different aspects of the tank and not draw it solely to the center.

aquascaping is one of the hardest things to do! you can never find a perfect solution without lots of planning and the cxorrect supplies/funds. its a trying and seems like never ending process of small or large adjustments to the layout.

Great work, keep it up and you'll have a stunning tank!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2008 02:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
you lucked out finding a pal like wings to help you out along the way!

No kidding! I don't know how much I would have had to spend to get this tank started otherwise. Gladly I've at least given him a bit of something in return now. Hopefully I can do a bit more in the future.

Totally forgot about this thread, but thanks for the replies. All has been looking well the past week. I went and got myself 8 more cherry barbs. I'll probably fill out the tiger barbs a bit more too.

That's a neat looking tank wings, thanks for sharing. I bet the onions helped fill it out a bit.

Post InfoPosted 03-Nov-2008 06:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Matty,

How is the blyxa doing? Any signs of shedding?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2008 20:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I assume you mean shedding of the leaves? If so, then no. I'm not seeing any real growth either, like it's in stasis. I've even increased the light cycle a bit to help. It's now at 10hrs I think and 2hrs with two 96w bulbs going. I don't really know what's up with it unless it just absolutely has to have CO2 to grow any.

Thanks for stopping in nowher....how's it been?

Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2008 23:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Nowher I haven't seen you around in ages!!

From the accounts I have found about the plant it will grow or at least keep living w/out CO2 but goes nuts with CO2. I have not tried growing it w/out CO2 but sometime after my move I might try it for you to see what happens. I think that is the major difference from my setup to yours.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2008 00:21Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Well I got my regulator yesterday and installed it last night. I'll just start out at one bubble per second and see how that goes. The solenoid is hooked into a timer with my lights and the AC 70 is functioning as my reactor. I *might* get a glass diffuser if I feel using the HOB isn't doing the job. So today will be the first day of CO2. Pictures if things start growing well .

Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2008 18:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
My bet is the CO2 is going to do wonders for your tank. I am not so sure about using the AC as a reactor though. You might be better off just getting a ceramic or limewood air stone and letting the AC move the CO2 around.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2008 20:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hi Matty

Your last pic (Oct) looks really nice. Has it changed much since that pic?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2008 14:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks Robyn! The layout hasn't changed at all. I'm waiting for the plants to grow some more and get a little healthier before moving everything around. The CO2 is starting to have a noticeable affect on the plants. There's a ton of pearling when the second bulb comes on and a little from the fast growers most of the day. I've noticed more growth on the blyxa in the last week then there's been since I got it from wings. Before the CO2, the stargrass had about been wiped out but what's left is making a comeback. The rotala and ambulia are just going bonkers. So all in all, I'm happy with the way I have the CO2 set up and probably won't be looking into a separate reactor or diffuser . I'll do pics in the new year when I get back home from Buffalo (holidays and a wedding back up in buffalo).

Post InfoPosted 22-Dec-2008 05:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matty - I am glad your plants are growing well now. Looks like CO2 was the only thing missing. I sure look forward to seeing some updated picture.

Hope you have safe travels. I am back home in MI and we are getting blasted with snow.

Have you thought about joining the Charlotte fish club?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2008 16:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Thanks Wings, hope your holidays went well! I've thought about the club, sure. I probably would if I didn't work at the store already. Since I do, I get more than my fair share of the hobby....which is good and bad I guess.

As a bit of an update...I just got home from a 12-day "vacation" to spend time with my fiance's family back in buffalo. As you said wings....cold and snowy. Glad to be back here in Charlotte. Anyhow...I have TONS of cyano in the planted tank. Looks like I bottomed out on some nutrient...nitrogen perhaps? Despite that, the stem plants have grown up to the surface and started going horizontal. So I'm getting good growth now, but still a lot of cyano. I plan on a large water change and a good dosing of ferts with some testing to back it up.

The other two tanks did pretty well without any real problems.

Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 06:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Green and slimy... never had that stuff in my tank... only my nose...so the only way I know how to deal with it is kleenex. Sorry I can't be more help. I do hope you can kick the stuff though.

It is a good sign that your plants are growing so well. It is really quite amazing how fast things grow when CO2 is added to the mix.

I understand your issue with being part of the hobby with work. I never wanted to do much with the Kzoo club be caused I was a little burned out of it and just didn't have the time with school and all. I did hit a couple of auctions though and that was pretty fun.

My tanks at home did rather well while I was away too. My 29G school tank however was completely covered in brown algae and my 6 year old Male Convict was missed a quarter sized chunk of scales. I think the young were feeding on him... Large water change and some melafix should do the trick... I would hate to lose him.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2009 04:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
EditedEdited by NowherMan6
I assume you mean shedding of the leaves? If so, then no. I'm not seeing any real growth either, like it's in stasis. I've even increased the light cycle a bit to help. It's now at 10hrs I think and 2hrs with two 96w bulbs going. I don't really know what's up with it unless it just absolutely has to have CO2 to grow any.

Yeah, that's what I meant. A while ago, when I had Blyxa, it grew like gangbusters for a while and looked great. Then it plateaued for a while and eventually started shedding a ton of leaves. I never figured out what happened to it and I never tried it again. Was a dang shame because when it's going well it looks great.

Bummer about the cyano. Again, I never learned how to really get rid of the stuff without a blackout. Best of luck with THAT

Hey there Wings

EDIT: Hot dang! Looks like my premie membership expired

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 00:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EDIT: Hot dang! Looks like my premie membership expired
I guess you should hang out here a little more often!!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 22:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
I guess you should hang out here a little more often!!

I know.

Do you believe I still have that 65G I bought in fall of 2006 still waiting to be set up?

'Til then I need to keep up with the hobby vicariously through forums.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 00:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Hey nowher!

'Til then I need to keep up with the hobby vicariously through forums.

Sorry I'm not really doing my part to help you live vicariously. I'm hoping to get some pictures up sometime this week/weekend.

I guess I should give a bit of an update since I'm posting....no pics though. The CO2 is kicking in and I'm getting good growth rates. I acually had to trim (rotala and ambulia) for the first time in ages. I could've used the store credit, but I'm still having the cyano problem so I discarded it. The cyano is much better than when I came back from vacation....I'm just going about business as normal, but siphoning off the cyano with every water change. I'm dosing about 10ppm of NO3 throughout the week, and about 2ppm of PO4 since I know there is some PO4 in the tap. I'm still using the excel and dosing about 3ml of micros once a week. My bubble count is about 1-2 bps. I haven't really checked the resulting CO2 level, just judged growth from past experience really.

Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 16:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
im anxious to see the tank matty,havent really posted in the thread but have been following and reading it.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 20:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Glad to hear things are turning around for you. I can't wait to see some updated pictures.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2009 03:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Quoted from Matty Frag Rack
You want to see the cyano huh? Looks like jolly green giant snot. I've been going in there and vac'ing it out every few days. It's getting better though, I think I'm winning the battle. Hasn't changed much from earlier pictures though. I've been waiting to get rid of the cyano to try and mess much with it. I'm glad to say that the blyxa is growing and WAY happier than it used to be.....but I think I lost the star grass which surprised me. I thought it's growth would really pick up with the CO2. Ah well, can't have everything.

Cyano... sure why not? Want to see my bba?

My star grass isn't doing overly hot right now either. I have had a hard time from an aquascaping perspective keeping it in check. Maybe it didn't like all the up rooting and replanting. I am thinking I would like to try something like Didiplis diandra or Limnophila aromatica. How is that BN doing that I gave you?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2009 03:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The bristlenose is doing great:

Here's the tank:

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2009 17:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The BN and the tank are both looking good. Even though you are having the green slime problem the plants are looking quite healthy. What ideas do you have for the tank once the green slime is gone?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2009 04:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I like the blyxa, rotala, and ambulia. Beyond that, I'm not sure what I'll keep or toss. Even the wood is meh as it is. Maybe it'll sink on its own and I can twist it into another configuration...or maybe add some more hardscape to liven it up.

Any suggestions?

Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2009 06:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
nice tank, love the wood, really catches my eye
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2009 03:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Any suggestions?
How about moving the crypt next to the driftwood. The Giant Hygro? to a more midground spot? I think the ludwigia should also be moved to a midground spot too.

Other than moving some plants around... how about some rocks?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2009 04:21Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Some good ideas there, I'll see what I can do about some rocks.

Over the last few days I turned off the lights and put a blanket over the tank. About half way through (wednesday) I looked in there and it was like soup, so I did a 85ish% water change, and did another about the same size today when I turned the lights back on. Didn't see any cyano in the tank, so I think it worked. If I can keep it under control, I'll keep the tank up and running, otherwise I might switch it over to SW.....it's easier. Anyways, the plants have looked better, but they are alive and at least they aren't covered in snot.

Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2009 03:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
otherwise I might switch it over to SW.....it's easier.
I don't know why you are having so many problems... my tanks have been pretty bullet proof. I am sorry things aren't going easy for you. Let me know if I can do anything.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2009 16:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Yeah, it's not like I haven't kept a tank like this before with success. I don't really know what's up, but I'll probably give it a real go for about a month, maybe more before making a decision on the tank. So far so good, but I'll keep doing some testing to make sure my dosing is on track and it's not just a nutrient thing.

Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2009 06:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I think you should just go all out Estimated Index. I have been using it since I started and it hasn't failed me yet.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2009 15:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
You know the EI for a 50g off the top of your head? I'm willing to give it a try again.

Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2009 16:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 3/4 tsp GH booster once a week(water change only)
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

taken from http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/2819-ei-light-those-less-techy-folks.html

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2009 00:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Ah, thanks. I had forgotten where to find that info. I'll give it a shot.

Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2009 05:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I wish you the best of luck. I would hate to loose another plant guy around here....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2009 13:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
Well still no cyano that I can see. The blackout didn't really help with the BBA that I have on the slower growing stuff, but I can beat that pretty easy once everything starts growing well again. I have some pictures, but haven't gotten to any trimming or anything so the tank is a mess. These are for proof that the blackout worked (so far) only. All the plants seemed to have made it ok, but are a bit leggy because of the blackout. I hope to get the bushyness back after the next couple of trims.

FTS:

Closeup on some ambulia:

Wings' pleco fared the blackout OK:

RTBS:

rtbs.jpg" border="0">

Driftwood used to be covered in slime:

Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2009 21:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The plants don't look quite as green and vibrant as they did before but it is a good thing you have knocked off the slime. The blyxa and the hygro look like it took the hardest hit. With good lighting, co2 and ferts I am sure they will pop back for you.

Nice RTBS by the way. I have a rainbow in my tank but I don't remember the last time it came out and swam through the tank. The only reason I know it is still alive is I see it hanging out by the filter intake every couple of weeks.

The pleco looks to be doing well How big is it now?

Do you still have Excel on hand? If you do a few heavy doses and direct shots should help over come that issue.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 01:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Still having a bunch of algae problems, but my fish are doing great....so no FTS but I have some fish pics to share. BN is almost 3 inches now and doing well.

Cherries I've had since I set up the tank:

The red tail black shark that I've had since a couple months after I set up the tank:

Boesmanis that have been with me for a few months:

The newest members, turquoise rainbows:

And a bit of a sample of what feeding time is like:

Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2009 02:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matt - great rainbows! I used to have some back in MI. I always seemed to get wet during feeding time. What kind of algae problems are you having now?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2009 04:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies