slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Hello,

I just upgraded my lights on my 25 Gallon last weekend (See my log). However I noticed that all my crypts, which were doing great, are all melting.

I went from 1.2WPG to 2.6 WPG. Will this cause crypts to melt and will the recover?

Thanks!

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2007 20:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
I found the same thing! They preffer lower light. They will be ok in mid-high light but look best in low. I found that planting a plant next to it which likes mid-high ligth and has big leaves then shades the Crypts meaning it does well and so does the other plant

Hope this helps
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2007 21:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I find that crypts melt whenever they go through a big environmental change, like being transplanted or upgrading light or a big increase or decrease in temperature.

I think they'll recover just fine, but in my experience and like juwel-180 said, they look healthiest in low.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2007 22:14Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Some crypts do not like being moved too much apprently the roots must get damaged and they have to get used to new conditions. What can be done is take them out again and let them float for a month or so. By doing this you will be able to see the roots getting bigger and looking very healthy.

One thing I heard and read many years ago was never mix Crypts together as the stronger plant will take over. Apprently it is the roots that come intact with a weaker plant it is nothing but natures way of keeping a species variety surving.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 04:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
Most of these plants actually omit a chemical that causes the melting/dieing effect you are talking about. When their environment changes or are moved they omit this chemical to kill any other plants in the general area to ensure they have enough light and nutrients to grow. As for why they did this when you up graded your lights will it might because you have to much WPG for a 29 gal tank. Watch your fert schedule and increase you CO2. Cut back on the time the lights are on. You may see an increase in hair algae and a green algae bloom.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 14:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies