Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy new Aquarium Diary
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
Well Ingo, when you look up to the photo above, then there is all the algae on the window. I scraped all of that off and the stuff basically falls apart as powder, clouding up the water quite a bit. The photos have been taken from pretty much the same spot. I hold the camera at about chestheight, with the screen turned upwards so that I can actually see what I'm taking a picture off. Then with the camera fully zoomed out, I walk up to the tank untill it fills the screen. *click* *click* *click* Three photos, usually all just fine

Looking at the time that I posted the previous photo, that was one hour later than the one from today. Maybe that just made a slight difference, but I'm still leaning towards the clouded water theory
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 22:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I am thinking that the plants have just grown enough to catch more light. Thus making it look like there is more light on the tank.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 22:53Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
The first picture clearly has a different exposure time than the second, very slight, 1/3 - 1/2 stop under. The camera's meter must've picked some outside light source up, maybe a lamp or something. Ot maybe it gave more weight to the dark bogwood in the second, I dunno. Both pictures look fine, but that's not the issue The plants have definetely perked up some in the second.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 23:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
Hi Martin,

Yep, everything is definately looking better. New growth is bigger, stronger healthier looking.

I'm with you on the difference in brightness. The difference just cleaning the inside glass makes can be huge, there's always more stuff there then we think, like a grey haze, even without the green spot.

The clearer water you mentioned after adding NO3 is probably not your imagination. Healthy plants = clearer water. They produce more oxygen when healthier and working harder. Highly oxygenated water tends to have more clarity. The NO3 probably gave them the kick they need.

It'll take 2 weeks or so before you see the full benefits of this fert routine but I think you'll be happy with it. Better sharpen those pruning scissors, you're gonna need 'em

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 04:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
*starts spinning up the whetting wheel*

I am quite pleased with the result, I just hope I will be able to keep up the maintenance in the future. Knowing myslef, there will be times when I just won't feel much like it and will postpone it "to tomorrow" for several days/weeks. The tank will start being an absolute mess when that happens. Currently I'm all excited about it again, I hope it'll last.

NowherMan6, I would agree if the camara had been set to automatic, but when I take photos from my aquariums I always set it to manual with a fixed exposure time. In this case 1/20 of a second. Now maybe the camara still changes some other settings automatically, but that goes a bit beyond my knowledge of the thing I've now had it for 1½ years and keep telling myself to read up on all the finer things of photography, but in the end I just play around with settings until I like how it looks and keep it that way.

Taking photos of the tank I optimized some time ago, and I have all the settings saved in a program, just a turn of the wheel and I can start clicking away with the same settings as previous time.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 08:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Yesterday I examined the water tap in the bathroom and figured out that I can actually connect a hose to that particular tap. So yesterday I went off to a DIY shop to buy myself a 20 meter hose (60ft). And yes, it is almost that distance from the tap to the tank. While I was there I thought I'd looks around for some materials for rebuilding the aquarium hood so it'll fit one or two more fixtures and lamps, as the current setup is not quite as much light as I would like (108 watts over 65 g). The reflectors I have installed help, but it isn't optimal.

As the water temperature already is rather high from the three tubes that are hanging just above the water, I'll need to install a fan in order to keep the temp down if I want more light. With the current hood that isn't possible. So, at the DIY store I found nice aluminium corner profiles, 40 mm high, 20 mm wide and 2 mm thick. It is nice and rigid, and very light, it seemed like perfect material to elevate the fixtures a bit and it won't look too terrible I think. Probably next week I'll start with making the drawings for how it will be put together. If all goes well, then I'll order some new T5 fixtures within two weeks

Today I did the water change, I think I changed about 55-60% of the tank volume. To be honest, I was a bit nervous about dragging the hose through the living room. I fitted it with a garden sprayer that can be closed off. All in all it worked quite well, though getting the temperature and water pressure right was a bit of a hassle. I also removed most of the Hemianthes, as it had become quite a thick bush. Only a few sprouts were replanted, but they should be back to a thick carpet in a few weeks.

Here's a photo of how the tank is right now

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 19:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
And here is a close-up of the Hemianthes, right after replanting

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Dr.

Nice pictures

Did the hose eventually make the refill easier?

I was going to ask you about how you plant the Pearl Grass, now I have seen it. Single stems, wow. I actually bunch about 5 to 7 together and then plant them as a group.

I guess I would have to go to single stem as well in order to get the carpet effect, right?

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 12:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Hey Ingo,

I planted single stems mostly because they tend to stay in the substrate better than groups of plants. My cories and Yoyos like to rummage around quite a lot and the substrate is very light, so if I plant many stems at once they often are floating a few hours later. I don't think it will matter carpet wise much, except that your larger groups should fill the area quicker than my single stems. In the beginning the single stems look a bit odd, but they grow fast, I expect to have to trim them in two or three weeks at the most. In a month or so they'll probably have formed a thick carpet again.

The hose did indeed make the refill quite a bit easier, once I had the correct pressure and temperature I did se an unusual amount of "fake-pearling" (to give it a name) due to highly oxygenated water. That worried me a little, but the fish seemed alright with it and none died.

Oh, I got another surprise when I removed the Hemianthes; I saw quite a few black molly fry escape from it. It seems like the mollies have been busy, and with the lack of any real predators (except for one betta female) I will end up with lots of them very soon. I think I'll go on the lookout for something that actively hunts. I'm considering a school of Sumatra barbs - I'm not quite sure whether that's the correct name, if I recall correctly the latin name is Barbus tetrazona. I've always kinda liked them, but they're a bit nippy, so I'm still not sure.
Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 12:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr.,

Glad the hose helped

Don't worry about too much oxygen in the water from the water change, I have not heard ever that it would harm any fish, actually I observe the oposite as my Espei really get in the mood after each water change.

How do you go about trimming the Pearl Grass?

I know nothing about the fish you mentioned, sorry. But yeah, you might have something to do about all the fry as your tank has soooo many beautiful hiding places that even with the addition of a predator some will survive.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 06-Feb-2006 12:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
EditedEdited by Dr. Bonke
The tank is going very nice at the moment; the plants have never looked this lush and healthy before. Some time ago I had put second species of Mayacca in the tank, but the stem had been stripped of leaves by the Angel fish. Only one or two stems remained and they looked terrible, basically they were just twigs covered in spot algae. I was about to remove them last weekend, but there were a couple of bright buds, so I left it for a few days more. Those bright buds have now grown into healthy looking stems. I'll post a photo later today, when I get home. Also the green algae I was worrying about does not seem to get a strong hold except on the bogwood and the older plant parts. I think it arrested a bit after I did the water change during the weekend (which was the first water change in a very long time by the way). So, the main tank is going strong, but there still is the fry tank.

The fry tank is a mess. It still contains my breeding pair of angel fish, the only ones I have left after returning the three from the main tank to the LFS. I am planning to start a fertilizing/water changing program with that one as well, but since the angels had a set of eggs again last week I've been postponing that for a bit as they are always quite stressed when they have eggs. Since then the eggs have hatched and two days ago I started a bottle of brine shrimp. It was the first time I ever did that, but as the bottle of eggs I have already contains salt it is just a matter of "add water and air". Yesterday the fry was swimming freely, and I added some of the first hatched brine shrimp. There weren't all that many yet and the amount of fry is near 150, so I've also added some very fine dry food for fry. It was quite amusing to see the little fish chase the shrimp and flakes. Most of them ended up with nice round bellies. I'll be interesting to see how these little fish will fare. Until now every group of young angels has been gone after a few days, I don't really expect this brood to survive much better, but it is the first time I'm really trying to feed them, so who knows. I must note that my wife found it rather sad to hatch the shrimp just to feed them to the fish

If they survive until Saturday I may try doing some work on the fry tank then. As I said it's a mess, plants are either not growing or very slowly, I think there's at least three different kinds of algae thriving there. The new bioload of the fry is not going to improve it much either I think, so something will have to be done soon before it collapses into chaos completely. I'm considering of adding DIY CO2, even though I hate having to refill the yeast mixtures, but getting a second CO2 tank is out of the question, and the tanks are too far apart to split a hose and get it there that way. I will need to think on this for a bit.

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 11:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr.,

This are great news about your main tank and the Angel fry. I hope that you will have more luck this time around and the feeding helps. Just wondering though, what would be your plans if all 150 make it ?

I know very little about raising Angel fry, but I have a feeling that messing with the tank right now is not a good idea, except if it is a death trap in its current stage. Two reasons:

- There are quite a few species of animals that will eat their children when threatened or stressed. It's an instinct that kicks in and basically means something like "hey, all seems hopeless, let me at least regain the protein so I can survive and try again later."
- Your algae in the tank might very well serve as fry food.

I got nothing to back this up though.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 12:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
I'm considering a school of Sumatra barbs - I'm not quite sure whether that's the correct name, if I recall correctly the latin name is Barbus tetrazona. I've always kinda liked them, but they're a bit nippy, so I'm still not sure.

Tiger barbs! Yes, they are indeed nippy, at least amongst themselves. Keep in a large school and the chances of them messing with other fish goes down. The common thought on these guys is not to keep them with slow moving, long finned fish like bettas and angels, could shred their fins. IME they'd rather shred each other

Nice to hear the tank is doing so well, and I'm shocked that you found molly fry. I would think the yo-yos would have eaten them early on...

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 16:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Ingo, at the moment I have no idea what I would do with 150 angel fry if they would all make it. I think I'd have to beg some fish stores to take them But I seriously doubt I'll have as many as that in the end. The tank itself is a serious mess, but not yet a death trap. During the weekend I'll decide whether or not I will do something about it, here follow a few shots of the fry tank. The first one is an front shot. The glass is covered with some algae, I'm not quite sure what it is, as it comes off rather easily.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 20:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
As you can see in the shot above, the plants are doing absolutely terrible in there. It's part because the light is bad and part because I have not done any proper water changes or fertilization of the tank. It should improve in the near future though.

Here is a shot from the side of the tank, which was still algae free, mother came up real close to chase me away, father is in the back, guarding his little ones.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 20:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Finally the promised shot of the Mayacca from the main tank. Yes, that dark green ugly stick in the middle was all that was left of it before I removed the Angels. They thought it was a lovely side dish for with the occasional molly fry, mosquito larvae and flake food.

NowherMan6, I think the Yoyos have been too preoccupied with the trumpet snails, they really love digging those out. Besides that, up until last weekend the Hemianthes was so thick that anything small could hide in there and survive, the yoyos could not worm their way into it. small fry definately could.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 20:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Time for a bit of an update. it's now been about two and a half weeks since I started the fertilizing/waterchanges program. I have to admit that I was a bit sceptical at first, but I'm turning into a believer. The tank water has never been clearer, except maybe when I started the tank now nearly two years ago. All plants are showing very nice growth, almost too much to keep up with Just to give you a bit of an idea what has happened in just two weeks, here are the photos, they speak for themselves:

Day 0, the start of fertilizing:

Day 4, water clearing up:

Day 8, first water change:

Day 15, plants need weeding (shot taken during daytime, a bit of reflection on the glass):

Day 16, weeding done, tips replanted, old plant parts removed:

At the moment the scape itself doesn't look particularly good, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm currently mostly trying to get all plants in such a shape that they look good and healthy, before trying to actually put them in places where they suit best. The Reineckii for example was in quite a bad shape, the leaves very curly and ugly. In the two weeks since I've started fertilizing it has started to recover quite nicely, the new growth looks very good and I think I can do something nice with it soon.

I've also noticed that the sunset Hygro is not nearly as red as it used to be. I saw Bernard mention somewhere that low nitrates often makes plants redder, I guess that was the case with the sunsets then. It's a shame really, as I liked the very pink variety better than the way it looks now, but I guess it is a tradeoff I have to make for healthy plants
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2006 13:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Then there is still the story of my Angels. I wrote last week that I had started a brine shrimp culture. Well, that worked fine for two days, though not nearly as many seemed to hatch as I would have liked. I fed the Angel fry with it for those two days, and added some fry flake dryfood as well. Then during the third night I heard a bang, went to look and found the brine shrimp culture on the floor. The vibrations from the airpump had moved the whole contraption to the edge of the table and finally over it. Needless to say that I wasn't very happy.

Since then I've been feeding the fry just with dry food, and did not really expect to find any of them after day four.

As it turns out, now, more than a week since hatching, still close to 100 fry survive Slowly I'm starting to wonder what the heck I'm going to do with them if they all survive. The ones still present all are very active and seem to grow while I'm watching them. Already a few of them are over half a cm long, getting closer to 1 cm. I expect to see some of them to start taking on the V-shape sometime next week.

As the front window was completely covered in some slimy algae, I yesterday decided to clean it up a bit and scrape off the excess. That went rather well, though it created large sheets of algae floating around in the tank. This was one time I was happy to see that my angels have developed a love for green stuff, as they gobbled up those sheets of algae with pleasure. I've now started dosing with smal amounts of fertilizer to see if it helps with getting the algae under control. If all goes well with the fry, I think I'll try a water change coming weekend. Here is the happy family:

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2006 13:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr.,
Slowly I'm starting to wonder what the heck I'm going to do with them if they all survive
Welcome to my world .

I am a little worried about your algae that comes off in sheets (and is green). Can you eliminate that it is BGA? If it is then this would be bad as I have heard it is supposedly poisenous to fish, eating it might not be a good idea. If it is not then I am gald I voted for NOT cleaning the tank and predicting that the fry might like a snack of algae.

And your plant growth in the main tank: SPECTACULAR

It is awesome to see how fast your stems were shooting up. Good thing you became a Moderator here at FP - this forces you to log on more often and as such we have the pleasure of getting to see more of your tank

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2006 15:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland

at first I was a little skeptical

Oh, ye of little faith. Welcome to EI Nirvana

The curled ugly Reineckii leaves were the plant stunting due to lack of nitrate, as was the pink color on the Rosenverg.

The pic before the trim is a testament to the difference feeding the plants make. With growth at that level algae will become a distant memory.

Yep the lack of pink is a trade off , but a worthwhile one.
You can force the pink a bit more with added micros, especially Iron or more light. But with more light the growth will speed up further, so be careful what you wish for

You're a very heavy trimmer

Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2006 03:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I am a little worried about your algae that comes off in sheets (and is green). Can you eliminate that it is BGA?

I have had BGA in a fry tank before (some 15 years ago) and this looks quite different. For one, there are not the tell tale air-bubbles trapped inside. Also, this is definately green algae, not blue-green, and thirdly, the way it grows is somewhat different; on the free-water exposed side it forms long threads that wave in the current. I'm not quite sure what it is, but the angels ate everything that had come off and what they could reach They seem just fine and it's been two days now, so I'm not too worried about them.

The pic before the trim is a testament to the difference feeding the plants make. With growth at that level algae will become a distant memory.

I hope so, there is still a bit of the green hair algae showing up. On the plants it is mostly establishing itself on the reineckii, but maybe the contrast against the red makes it just more visible. If you look at the series of photos above, then you can see that the bogwood has turned quite a bit greener. It is pretty much completely covered with the algae. It doesn't look awful, but it wasn't really my intention to have a piece of green wood in my tank. I'll try to get a close-up later today when I'm home.
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2006 10:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Well, the problem of what to do with 100 angels is gone. This morning mother angel suddenly lost interest in her babies and instead saw them as really nice snacks . I think she's eaten about 95% of them while a very excited father was trying to hold her at bay. There is now about 5-10 left, and I expect those to be gone pretty soon as well. I'm still not sure what triggered it, but maybe 10 days is as far as her attention span lasts. It's sad, but maybe it's good in a way as well, I think that a hundred angels would have been terribly difficult to get rid off. At least now I can use this weekend to get that little tank a bit more organized.

Here is a shot of the driftwood as it is of this day:

And a close-up shot of the algae:

Some suggestion on how to get rid of that would be welcome. It really seems to grow mostly on the slow growing plants such as Anubias and the reineckii, but that can be just a percetion because the others are replanted all the time, leaving the older parts closer to the bottom of the tank and thus less exposed for the algae to settle upon.

Just to give an idea how well some of the other plants are doing, here is a close-up shot of the resurrected Mayacca. it is growing exceptionally fast and each afternoon it looks something like this:

And now that I'm posting photos anyway, here are some random shots of my fish, first up rummies:

and one of the Yoyos:

finally, one of the cories:
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 10:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr.,

Sorry to hear about the Angel fry

When I was a child I has some mice in a cage, a girl and a boy. Of course they started to reproduce and from the first litter 3 made it to adulthood. Now, with 5 mice in a small cage, they bred all the time and each time there was a litter it was taken care of for a few days/weeks, but eventually the babies were eaten. The explanation I was told (and I never researched its validity) was that the lack of space causes the adults to realize that there will never be enough space/food for all of them (natural instinct - they don't know that the owner can increase the amount of food) and that is the reason why they ate the babies. Maybe something similar happened here in your tank.

About the algae: yeah - you got a nice base for additional algae with that driftwood. Can you take it out and treat it? I would first scrub off as much as you can and then dip it in a bleach solution, then rinse it and scrub again. Maybe place it in a bucket with water in it for another day (dark - no light) and then repeat before adding it back to the tank. BTW, it looks like a severe case of brush algae to me.

Mayacca Fluitans: Bensaf uses it as an indicator for his Iron level. And the way I see it yours is too low as the tips of your plant are white. They turn a bright green when Iron levels are sufficient.

Rummie picture: I see that your Pearl Grass is growing straight up. Is that intentional or is it not doing the lawn thing anymore?

Otherwise - Nice fishies

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 11:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Mayacca Fluitans: Bensaf uses it as an indicator for his Iron level. And the way I see it yours is too low as the tips of your plant are white. They turn a bright green when Iron levels are sufficient.

Somebody was paying attention in class

The color will vary anywhere from white to dark green depending on FE. It's very iron hungry.
Does look a little pale, so more micros It will help color up the red plants too.

Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 15:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Somebody was paying attention in class

Yeah, you can be proud of your slightly younger student

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 19:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Well then, another two weeks along the way. In general I'm fairly happy, but there is still room for improvement. First some pictures and then a silly question. Here is the tank two and a half weeks ago, februari 14:

Since then I've been following weekly waterchanging schedule and have switched to a slightly heavier dosing of nutrients: more nitrate and more micros. The increase in nitrate was to stop the green brush algae from taking over, this seems to have worked... it doesn't grow nearly as much as it did two weeks ago. The micros were increased as the Mayacca seemed to indicate a lack of iron. I've added 50% more every other day.

Here's the current look:

One thing that is really starting to bug me is the staghorn algae, it is so far only present on the older leaves of some plants, but it definately is on the increase, here is a very clear photo of some of it.:

Now it is time for my silly question, so far I've been assuming that a tspn is a teaspoon... but as the staghorn is supposedly due to a lack of phosphate (right, Bernard?) then am I mistaken and is it actually a tablespoon? I really want to get this staghorn under control before it becomes a mess like it was 1½ years ago. So any suggestions on the matter are highly appreciated
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 18:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
male usa
so far I've been assuming that a tspn is a teaspoon... but as the staghorn is supposedly due to a lack of phosphate (right, Bernard?) then am I mistaken and is it actually a tablespoon? I really want to get this staghorn under control before it becomes a mess like it was 1½ years ago. So any suggestions on the matter are highly appreciated

Nope, tspn means teaspoon.

As for the staghorn, I'm not sure how it relates to phosphate, but I would push CO2 some more. Also, Flourish Excel is known to kill it. Use as directed.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 21:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Hi Martin,

Staghorn is usually an indicator of low macros, this would be N and P. Getting those right should stop new growth , but it really won't do anything for the algae that was already there (the nutrients don't kill algae they just prevent it from growing).

Certainly Flourish Excel will kill it , easily. Apply the Excel directly to the alagae via a syringe or something and it'll die off in a few hours.

Once you have Co2 and Macros good, it shouldn't re-appear.

But you do have to harass the old stuff.

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 03:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
So flourish excel is the miracle tratment then. Does anyone know an online shop which sends stuff across the globe? I've never seen any flourish articles in my LFSs and the online shop in Germany, where I usually buy my things doesn't have it either.

Over the last week the staghorn has grown quite a bit, but part of that could be because my CO2 reactor wasn't working the way it should have. I think that due to dirty cablings from my filte not enough water was coming through it to effectively mix the CO2 into it. That has since been remedied. The new lights should be coming within the next two weeks I think, so then I get to do some DIY to get it all fixed into the hood. I'll probably also have to adjust the fertilizing schedule a bit again. For some 7 days I've now been dosing Nitrate every day and phosphate and micros on alternative days. Maybe I should still up the amounts a little to get algae growth further reduced.

Further increasing the amount of CO2 will mean that I'll have to install a second powerhead, I think. In the current setup part of the water flow from the filter is directed to my CO2 reactor, but that will have to be increased if I up the bubble per second rate, and that would leave not much to keep up the current through the tank.
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 08:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 393
Votes: 44
male australia
Does anyone know an online shop which sends stuff across the globe?

http://www.Gregwatson.com should. He has Flourish Excel.

-P
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 09:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I personally found that Excel works much better on Brush or Beard algae than it did on Thread or Staghorn. The only time that I saw the Excel take some effect on Staghorn was the very first time I treated my tank. Maybe it developed a form of immunity after that.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 11:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
How does flourish excel actually kill the algae, according to the description it's just organic carbon?
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 16:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
One of the ingrediants is also a mild dis-infectant which seems to have some effect on certain algaes.It also has some de oxidising properties so expect pearling to diminish when using.

Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2006 15:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I'm doing something wrong

Over the last two weeks or so, things have slowly started to deteriorate in my tank. Even though plantgrowth in general is still good, the staghorn now has gotten a solid grip and is showing up all over the place. In the week after the previous installment I figured that maybe I had been dosing too much of Nitrate and phosphate, and created some sort of imballance. The dosage that Bernard had suggested had not been really making a difference in the algae growth, I was still getting quite a bit of spot algae on the glass and slow growers such as Anubias and Lobelia, and so I had been dosing a bit more phosphate that prescribed (about 1/4 of a teaspoon every other day) and as my Alternanthera was still growing stunted I also increased the Nitrate dose, and was dosing about half a teaspoon every day. Now one thing I have to say and that is that I find the teaspoon measurements a big pain. Here in Finland foodstuffs aren't measured in teaspoons and so I'm just working with an ordinary teaspoon and guessing that what I'm adding is about 1/2, bus as I don't know how much of a pile you need on your spoon to have a full spoon full it is a bit of an wild guess really. Therefore it is quite possible that I'm not really adding quite as much as I think I am (it's a small spoon).

In any case, the staghorn did not diminish but actually got bigger, so I thought I was overdoing the phosphate thing. For a week I dosed a minimal amount of phosphate in the hope that would do the trick... Alas, a week later the staghorn has spread even more and it is slowly starting to look like the mess I had 1½ years ago...

I've now reinstated the previous fertilizing scheme, as then it at least didn't grow quite as fast. I opened the CO2 a tad more (pearling had diminished a lot during the week I didn't have as much phosphate). But I'm still looking for some answers.

- how much is one tablespoon?
- should I add even more nitrate?
- more phosphate?

I feel like a beginner again
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 16:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
EditedEdited by bensaf
Oh Martin, Martin,

You've made the classic mistake of letting the algae force you into meddling with dosing.

If you are having trouble with the teaspoon (teaspoon NOT tablespoon)download a nutrient calulator here http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm it will allow you to work out dosages in grams if that's easier.

Dosing the nutrients solves the root cause and prevents new algae growth. But it won't kill or reduce existing algae - you have to do that manually. Or nuke it with Excel. If you have access to hydrogen peroxide at the lab, you can also use this to nuke the staghorn by injecting small quantitites driectly onto the algae.

Keep at the dosage rates I gave you ( remember teaspoons the little 'un for stirring your coffee !), keep Co2 good and you will beat this.

No problem with adding more Nitrate, especially if the tap water is low. Can be a good idea to add a double dose after water change to get the level up and then a normal dose during the week to maintain.

Increasing Co2 is always the place to start, especially if pearling has decreased.

Also check and keep an eye on GH, don't let it get below 3dgh.

Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 03:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Another two weeks further along. Since last time I've downloaded Chuck's calculator and based on that made liquid solutions of my Nitrate and phosphate. The dosing is a lot more controlled this way and at least it seems that the staghorn is no longer growing as hard as it did before. It's not gone, but there is some improvement.

Also, this week my new lamps arrived. two 55 watt T5 lamps, which will raise my wpg from about 1.8 to nearly 3. I haven't installed them yet, as I have to rebuild the hood a little to make it all fit without getting the water to a boil. the last few days I've been working mostly on that in the evenings. In practice it means that the lights will be raised about 4 cm, giving more air volume and with some extra holes in the back I hope to get enough airflow that the temperature will stay below 30 degrees Celsius. If not, I may have to install an active ventilator, but there should be room for that as well with the new setup.

Meanwhile I've been neglecting the plants a little, and everything is BIG at the moment. The stargrass is crawling on the surface, the Mayakka as well. I may do something about that tonight.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 12:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I wish you the best of luck with your aglae issue. To make you feel a little better. I really like how your tank is set up. You have a great virity of colors and everything looks great where you up it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 15:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr.,

Good to hear that things are improving .

Now you will have to be very careful with the new light. That most likely will mean that you will have to up the nutrients and CO2 as well (but I am sure you knew that). I would suggest (as many others do as well) to have the new light on only for a short period at midday, like maybe 3 hours.

And before you start the trimming of your tank, please take a picture as I find overgrown tanks very pretty.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 15:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Yeah hang on to your pants with the new light. As LF said it might be a good idea to slowly add it in. Although I am running 3.25 for about 12 hours a day. No major problems. I did start out that way.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2006 15:30Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Nearly a month since the last update, The past few weeks have been a bit hectic in life and on top of that the motherboard of my PC decided it was time to die, which has limited my online activities quite a lot. Scanning the threads in these forums to see what was going on while I was at work has been pretty much the only thing I've been able to do lately. Currently I'm working on a temperary solution until the computershop gets my replacement motherboard (it still had guarantee so they had to replace it with the same model, which of course they did not have on stock).

In any case,I now have a series of photos that show quite nicely what has happened to the tank over the last few weeks. When I last posted I was having lots of trouble with the staghorn algae and the new lamps had just arrived. After I installed the lamps I hung in there for a week and hoped the algae would halt. At first nothing really seemed to change much, except that it did not seem to appear much on the new leaves. The patches of algae that were already there however, kept on growing bigger and bigger. After that week the bottom part of the tank looked like this, with staghorn covering lots of the anubias and cryptos there:

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 19:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Currently I'm working on a temperary solution
Wow Dr., no kidding, when you say temperary you really mean it, or why is there no additional photo showing?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 19:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Doc.,
That looks like some pretty nasty stuff. Have you been doing anything to beat on it a little? Stable CO2 and bunch of over doses of Excel should get you where you want to go.

Best of luck with the computer problems!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 20:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
By that time I started to become rather annoyed with the whole thing. The tank just wasn't working the way I wanted it, the look was not quite as I liked it, the staghorn issue and on top of that the mollies we getting out of control with three or four females almost continuously giving birth. As I had removed the Angels some time ago, there was no predator present to kill off the young, so many of them survived.

At that point I decided to just let it be for a while, and only fed the fish. For nearly two weeks that was all I did and the tank went from this:
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 20:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
hmm, when I try to attach another photo it is always the same one that appears... I'll upload them to my personal webspace, show them from there

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 20:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
ok, nevermind, that worked after all, it was just the preview that was wrong.
anyway, two weeks later the tank looked like this:

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 20:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Wow, And LF thinks he has problems! Are you gonna try and rescue it or scrap it?

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 20:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I can't say I'm proud of that photo, but that is how it looked at that point. By then I started to have a bit more time and during the easter weekend I took an afternoon to set things straight.

One of the problems I had been having was with the CO2 reactor. as that was driven by part of the filter output, it would slowly work less and less as the filter slowly clogs up with debris and the output is less. with as result that the reactor would just fill up with CO2 and not mix with water anymore. That was the first thing I addressed by taking the powerhead that had come with my second tank (basically a "toy" powerhead). I set that up so that the CO2 bubbles are split by the impellow and thus injected into the tank.

Then I removed a lot of the plants and almost all the leaves with algae. One thing I must note is that during this time the staghorn had disappeared almost completely except for two or three big wads near the surface. Those weare easily fished out. I removed a rather big lavarock that was always invisble and replanted everything. I think I discarded a few kilos of plants

Then it looked like this (notice the change in light intensity as well, though the photo is somewhat too bright)

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 20:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Wow, And LF thinks he has problems! Are you gonna try and rescue it or scrap it?

I almost scrapped it but instead rebuilt.

It's now been 1½ weeks since the resurrection. I am happy to say that so far: NO STAGHORN! None, nada, the tank is clear of it. Also, it seems as if the thread algae on the bogwood is receding, it's shorter than before and seems to get less. I still do have some spotaglae forming on the glass and on the slow growers like Anubias, but it isn't too bad. If it stays like this I'll sign for it. The powerhead is ugly, but it works like a dream. The plants pearl like there is no tomorrow and grow really well. Here's the look of today:

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 20:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
One thing I didn't mention, is that I've now hired the help of a school of Tiger barbs to keep the molly population in check. They seem to enjoy the place, have nearly doubled in size since I go them and the molly population has dwindled a bit, so they seem to do their job.

I had the Angel parents in my fry tank, but about a month ago I donated them to some people who probably would enjoy them more. Some four days before they were picked up, they laid some eggs, of which the fry was swimming freely the day they were moving out.

Somehow about 30 of those fry survived, and they're still alive. Here's a photo of the frytank, as it is of today

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 21:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Dang Doc your tank went out of control! You need to take the jungle tank award away from LF. Its yours now! Tank is looking better. Keep us up dated!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 21:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Very nice Dr., good documentation of stages

So, what do think was the problem that caused the major algae outbreak in the first place? Do you think it was only the inconsistent and dwindeling CO2 input? I think it could also have been that your plants didn't get enough light anymore (that one shot seems to show that there was almost no light reaching the bottom) and as such neglected to suck up the nutrients, which then in turn were used by the algae.

Anyway, it looks very nice now. And it also seems like you cleaned out the fry tank quite a bit as that was doesn't show any algae either anymore.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2006 10:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Do you think it was only the inconsistent and dwindeling CO2 input? I think it could also have been that your plants didn't get enough light anymore

Probably a combination of both. Also, I think the three tubes that I had in there before I added the T5s are at the end of their life time. All three of them are well over a year old, closer to two actually, which is about the maximum you can drag out of them I think. Seeing the effect of the new tubes I'm considering switching to T5s altogether, removing the three T8s that are in there and adding two of the T5s that I just bought. That would put me at 220 watts over the 65g.

Currently I'm just not quite sure if I want to spend that additional 200€ right now, or wait and see how much I have left after the summer holidays and fixing my motorcycle

Also the inconsistent CO2 dosage may have contributed, but I think that there was too much algae to begin with. It had such a big start that the plants just could not outcompete it. When the tank went overboard and grew totally closed up, I basically had a blackout for about a week. I think that helped shutting down algae growth while the plants were still mostly doing fine. By removing all plants and leaves that still had a lot of algae I think I gave the plants a fresh start where they could start outcompeting the algae. At least, I hope I did. We're now nearly two weeks further since I did the major overhaul and generally it still looks very promising, with only the front glass, the reineckki and anubias showing a bit of algae. I'm not too worried about that, but I fear what the tank will look like when I get back from summer holidays, when I 'll be gone for two weeks with only someone coming by to feed the fish

As for the fry-tank. Once I started doing some more regular water changes it pretty much fixed itself. The algae that remained was eaten(!) by the trumpet snails in a span of a few days, they literally ate everything. You could see the progress while watching them. Since then I've been doing 40% water changes weekly and nothing else. the plants grow slow, but steadily, and although nothing is really lush, I rather like the look. It's a low light tank after all, at 1.2 wpg or so, and no CO2.

Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2006 11:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
It is time again for a monthly update (I never get around to being as active in my updates as Ingo ).

The new lamp arrived from Germany some two weeks ago and I installed it pretty much the day after. During the first 24 hours I kept a close look at the temperature, and although it rose a little, it stayed under 30 degrees Celsius. As I was leaving the house for a couple of days for a meeting just after the weekend, I thought I'd keep it like that until I came back and then work on the hood improvements during the next weekend. Funny how things never really work out the way you plan.

When I returned, the amount of algae in the tank had increased a lot, it was mostly something that resembled green spot algae and it had pretty much covered the front glass. I can't say I was very happy about it. That evening I cleaned the glass, pruned a little (though the plants had not grown particularly much) and did the waterchange. Two days later there was already a lot of algae on the window again. By that time, plant growth seemed to have ceased almost completely for about half of the plants, and one of my Otos had died. Things were definately not good. After I located the thermometer (the suction rubber always comes loose) I checked out the temperature and was shocked when it read 33 degrees Celsius! That was thursday last week.

That evening I went through all the electronics stuff I have gathered over the last few years and combined two computer fans and a battery charger to set up air circulation in the hood of the aquarium. At the moment it is a temperary solution that makes a lot of noise (the fans run at about 6000 rpm), but it works. Late thursday evening the temperature had dropped down to 30 degrees Celsius, and by friday evening it was holding steady at 25 degrees Celsius. We were away again for the weekend, but there is some progress visible now. Plants have resumed growth and algae does not grow nearly as fast anymore on the front glass.

So there you have it, keep an eye on your temperature, too high is definately bad.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 17:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I never get around to being as active in my updates as Ingo
I take that as a compliment, or are you trying to tell me I should slow down ?

What an experience you had there. While reading through your entry, although you mentioned the temperature pretty much up front, I concluded for myself that the issue is nutrient related. The new light caused more nutrient uptake and eventually you ran out of one member and the rest was available for the algae. For the same reason, the plants stopped growing after the reserves had been used up.

But you seem to have figured out that it was all heat related. I take your word for it

On the other hand - - What if a higher temp causes faster growth in your plants and that is why the nutrients depleted?

just some food for thoughts,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 18:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I take that as a compliment, or are you trying to tell me I should slow down?

Nah, I'm following your thread with great interest, even if it is sometimes a bit hard to keep up with all the new posts

On the other hand - - What if a higher temp causes faster growth in your plants and that is why the nutrients depleted?

Well, growth slowed down and then pretty much stopped, also did some of the crypts begin to melt, as did the tiger lotus and the green lotus. All this time I have kept the nutrients quite steady, so if it was just that, I would not expect to see all these plants suffer so much all of a sudden. I'm 95% confident (let's not put it at 100% until a week has passed ) that it was mostly temperature related. As far as I know, most plants prefer temperatures below 28 degrees anyway.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 19:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Yep 33o would definately hurt, especially over a prolonged period.

Just remember with more light you will need more nutirents

Plenty of phosphate will keep that algae off the glass and eveything else. Used to have the same problem , scraping glass every week, in the years since I started adding phosphate never seen a spot on the glass or anywhere else. Now it just gets a quick runover with a sponge once a week. The phosphate really does work.

Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 04:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I'm following your thread with great interest
Oh thanks Dr. , that means a lot to me, given that in my first entry of my log, in the section About the log, I indicate that you were one of the blueprints that led me to create that log in the first place.

About the Temp and the Algae: Yeah, no doubt 33 degrees is too hot and will cause problems by itself, but talking in a more abstract term:

We all know (I believe) that fish seem to live longer when maintained at the lower end of their acceptable temperature range, it slows down their metablosim and makes them less active, ergo they burn out slower (sounds like a light bulb description, ). I think it is only a small step to associate plants with this process - lower temps (within range) should mean slower growth and as such less nutrient uptake.

So - if someone has figured out the right settings of nutrients for a lower temp and all seems fine, and then the person increases the temp but not the nutrients supply, shouldn't that conclude in a lack of food for the plants?

Just thinking,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 13:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
hi all...im new to the forum so u can expect some stupid questions from me... apologies in advance...dont even know if its the right thread to post in but please give me the benefit of doubt
i have a question regarding the CO2 injection by the yeast/sugar method. Fermentation produces alcohol and it evaporates readily. Then it dissolves in water readily too. Shouldn't it create a problem for the fish? I lost four fish in a night when i introduced CO2 injection. I'm 90% sure it was a change in pH that did it but the question remains in my mind.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2006 12:43Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
mughal113,

Hi there and welcome at FP

To be honest, it is not really ok to create your questions in someones diary or log .

Instead, you should create your own New Topic and raise the question there.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2006 13:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
hi ...well, i saw that coming thats why id mentioned "appologies in advance"
thanks... will take a bit of time to get used to of the rules and regs. i was reading the diary and came across the co2 injection portion, thought of clearing my concept...

regards,
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2006 16:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Hi mughal113,

I don't mind the question very much, asking questions is the best way to learn something new and as I had a DIY system for a while I'll try to answer it.
Fermentation produces alcohol and it evaporates readily. Then it dissolves in water readily too. Shouldn't it create a problem for the fish? I lost four fish in a night when i introduced CO2 injection. I'm 90% sure it was a change in pH that did it but the question remains in my mind.

Yes, fermentation does indeed produce alcohol, but it will take time and the final concentration in the DIY bottle will not get terribly high. Anything more than 15% will surely kill off your yeast, and that will effectively stop the fermenting process. Furthermore, the amount of evaporating alcohol at those concentrations is really quite low and the small amount that actually does evaporate will end up in a much larger volume of tankwater. I'd say that on average an aquarium has a volume of 10-40 times that of a DIY bottle, now let's say that one tenth of the produced alcohol evaporates from your 2 liter bottle (I'm just naming an amount, I'm not sure how much actually does evaporate, but I'm quite sure it's a lot less). 15% of two liters makes 300 ml, one tenth of that is 30 ml. Say you have a 60 liter aquarium, that would make a final concentration of 0.05%. I don't know how much that would affect the fish, but I don't think it's very much and it would take a long time to get to that point. If you keep up regular water changes you would never get there.

Like I said, it's just an example and not based on actual data. As the mixture in a DIY bottle is under some pressure (caused by the CO2) and is an almost closed environment, I think the actual evaporation of alcohol is very low. What you encountered with the fish dying is indeed most likely related to a sudden shift in pH or some other factor. In one night you would not even have all that much alcohol production anyway.

If I'm making some critical thinking error, then I'd like to see that corrected, so anyone, feel free to comment.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 13:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
ThankS a lot for clearing out the confusion. Yes, the percentage of alcohol by volume would be too small to incur any damage to the fish. pH change must have been the culprit.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 18:39Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Another update, I think it's been about three weeks since the last one. During these three weeks nothing terribly much has changed in the way I've run the tank. Meaning that I have been ignoring it a bit and only have done the weekly maintenance and a bit of fertilizing. The tank is behaving better though, the ventilators on top really seem to have made the difference and keep the water temperature very nice at 25 - 26 degrees Celsius. I must say that they're still very much at a temporary setup, but my wife hasn't been complaining about the noise of the ventilators so I haven't had a very big incentive to do something about them. I will have to do something about them before I go on vacation in two weeks though, as the water evaporation is a bit extreme at the moment, in three days I lose about 2 2½ gallons due to the evaporation.

Otherwise things go pretty well, most algae has stopped growing, with the exception of a bit of beard algae and green spot algae on the glass. My guess is that with a bit tighter fertilizng sceme that should go as well. I'll try to get that going after I get back from Malta.

To cut things short, here's a photo of this afternoon, about 2 hours after the water change and some excessive weeding.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 17:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I think that .05% alchohol would give the fish a nice buzz...but they should probably give somebody else the keys. In all seriousness I never had any problems with fish while I was doing DIY.

I think once that front section fills in with the chain sword, the tank will look very nice again. The mid and background plants look excellent.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 03:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr.,

Yeah, the tank looks very nice and most improtantly you seem to have much less algae issues

One question: What happened to the Pearl Grass carpet towards the right? Was it too maintenance intensive to keep them in a lower shape?

So when you go on vacation you go from one Island in the Mediterranean to another?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 12:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I think once that front section fills in with the chain sword, the tank will look very nice again. The mid and background plants look excellent.

That shouldn't take too much time, those few plants that are there at the moment were the ones I picked from the 40 or so that were there before the weeding They grow really a bit fast. I'm still not too happy with the left side of the tank. The anubias there is still a bit of a problem. When I did some maintenance 1½ weeks ago I took them all out and removed almost all leaves that had too much beard algae growing on them. That was about 80% of the leaves. This left them really rather bare, but I hope they'll fill in with new shoots soonishly. Also, the Lobelia in that area is still in a bit of a bad shape. those plants really could not stand the high temperature and had almost died. Since I installed the fans they are recovering nicely, with new shoots rising up from the old, ugly stems.

One question: What happened to the Pearl Grass carpet towards the right? Was it too maintenance intensive to keep them in a lower shape?

There is still some of the pearl grass, but before I put in the new lamp it was not really growing sideways like I wanted it to. As a carpet it did not really function very well and then I found those chain swords which grew a whole lot better. I then got rid of most of the pearl grass, except for a small group which is right next to the chain sword. I don't really trim that, and just let it grow upwards, when it gets too high I cut it down and replant the tops. Maybe I'll do something different with it at some point, that's why I keep it around for now.

So when you go on vacation you go from one Island in the Mediterranean to another?

This year, yes Though Madeira isn't really in the Mediterranean Malta is going to be really nice and relaxing, with a lot of diving, and later this summer to Italy. Next year will probably be a USA year with a summer trip down the eastcoast. What can I say, we like to travel

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 12:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Gee Dr.,

I got confused. I thought you are in Cyprus, but now I remember that this was Robby, I believe . Well, close enough

Yeah, I saw that you have some pearl gras remaining, I was just curious because I have quite a bit of it in my 125G and I was wondering how well the carpeting was working out in the long run. I think I got my answer

Ingo

EDIT: Oh - US East Cost - you will have to visit us

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 13:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
In Ingo's thread I said that I had stopped with this log, I guess I lied The updates do become rarer and rarer, but occasionally I'll try to add a little progress report here with some photos.

During the summer months I haven't really paid too much attention to the tank. I've done some weeding every now and then and added two gallons of water every four days as I'm still running the temporary fans on top to keep the temperature down. Funny how things that are temporary can just stay and stay and stay. Over those three months surprisingly little changed, I stopped fertilizing almost altogether, as my nitrate solution had run out and I figured that dosing just the other stuff wouldn't be particularly good either. Besides, it was summer; I was traveling a lot and away for most weekends. Leaving the fertilizing to my inlaws was not an option, making them feed the fish and having them top off the tank once a week was pretty much all I could expect from them. So, there was no fertilization for nearly three months.

The result: an increase in beard algae, it grew on all anubias and on some of the older leaves of plants, mostly the old crypto leaves and the lower leaves of the Bacopa, but also the bogwood is now completely covered in the wavy stuff. Some small tufts of staghorn here and there, but not so much that it really bothers me at the moment. And slower plant growth, though the Reineckii actually seems to like it better this way. Oh and the sunset hygro is a lot more colorful than it was during the high dosage fertilization.

Then about three weeks ago, all vacations were over and I was getting a bit more time for maintaining the tank. I dis some more weeding, moved a few things around a little and started dosing a little bit of phosphate and some micros (I still don't have nitrate). I'm keeping the dosage low, just enough to halt the staghorn in it steps and I want to slowly see what works best in my tank. I have some photos of how the tank was two weeks ago (the 9th, two days after maintenance) and today (also two days after maintenance), you can compare them with the one of the beginning of July. Enjoy.

Oh, PS. I had to remove the chain swords. Someone, I suspect the yoyos, were eating all the new leaves, and they were looking dreadful. Also, yesterday I recruited six Otos to help me in my battle against algae, even though they don't eat beard algae, there is plenty of other stuff for them around.

Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2006 22:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
In Ingo's thread I said that I had stopped with this log, I guess I lied

Well Dr,

It is amazing how well your tank looks after it got so little attention for such a long time. Unlike me though, you are not really showing us the details at the bad stage .

How did you get rid of the BBA? Simply by trimming off all effected leaves?

About the Otos: don't think that you have now a sufficient platoon of algae eaters for future outbreaks. 6 of them is a nice group (have 6 in my 40G), but they will not really make a big difference. I simply find them cute and that is why I have them. Although, they were pretty good at eating the onset of diatoms when the tank was new.

Good to see that you do update your log once in a while, I would not like to see this log to simply vanish.

Have fun,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
It is amazing how well your tank looks after it got so little attention for such a long time. Unlike me though, you are not really showing us the details at the bad stage.

Ah well, I had some nasty details on the previous page so I thought I'd spare those for now, I'm not really all that proud of them, you know

How did you get rid of the BBA? Simply by trimming off all effected leaves?

Pretty much yes, there's still quite a few leaves that are having a bunch of the stuff, but from a distance it doesn't look so bad. Maybe I'll take some photos of those during the week, if I'm home early enough to actually find the main lights still on.

About the Otos: don't think that you have now a sufficient platoon of algae eaters for future outbreaks. 6 of them is a nice group (have 6 in my 40G), but they will not really make a big difference. I simply find them cute and that is why I have them. Although, they were pretty good at eating the onset of diatoms when the tank was new.

Yeah I know, and since they don't really eat beard algae I don't really expect to see any difference either. I used to have a set of 5 Otos, but most of them passed away in the period when the tank was overheated. Only one remained, and I bought the six as company for that one. Besides, they -are- cute

Good to see that you do update your log once in a while, I would not like to see this log to simply vanish.

I'll try to keep it up to date, but I know that I have periods in which I am more active at these things, and then after a while I just can't seem to make myself take the time to update about the fight against algae
We'll see how long I manage this time.

Edit: I just noticed this was my 300th post
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 21:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
after a while I just can't seem to make myself take the time to update about the fight against algae
Come on, that is what my log makes a living off

And congratulation on 300 posts , which is about as much as I post in a month

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2006 15:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
I agree with LF, the tank must have magically formed a beard algae black hole or something. All those plants are looking quite healthy. Good recovery from not taking care of it for so long, and nice colors. Gotta be doing something right. I like how the stargrass forms a bush in the second pic, rather than a column in the third. Other than that, I got's no complaints.

EDIT: Oh, and too bad about the chain swords. They might be my favorite plant. If someone started destroying them in my tank it'd be war!

Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2006 16:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
the tank must have magically formed a beard algae black hole or something. All those plants are looking quite healthy.

That is true for the faster growing plants, yes. But although the tank looks pretty good from a distance, when you look up close, there are still many instances of the beard algae present. I still haven't removed the Anubias from the tank (I can't help but love Anubias and I keep hoping that some day I'll beat the algae and they will grow nicely for me). I thought I'd illustrate it by putting up a couple of close-up photos. First up is the Alternanthera reineckii, I'm actually really pleased with the way those are going, as I have come very close to discarding them at some point. For some time they just looked absolutely horrible, and kept attracting all kinds of algae, now they look mostly very clean.

the second group is Limnophila aromatica, They're currently a bit thin-ish, as they've just been re-planted and it usually takes a little while for them to recover from topping. Still, I really like these plants. They're fairly easy, grow relatively slow, but stay quite algae free.

This third group is a red Crypto, I used to have a group of those off to the left, and then this one popped up from a creeper some distance off from the group. It is amongst a group of Cryptocoryne willisii, which is now becoming quite shaded, I may have to remove either kind. The willisii always has been quite susceptible to beard algae, but lately it's been doing a little better. You can still see some in between and also some of the red crypt have beards.

Then the last group I want to show is a Lobelia cardinalis mixed in with some of the old Anubias. Both are slow growers, with maybe the lobelia being ever so slightly faster. Yet, the Aniubas leaves get overgrown with beards in just a few weeks, while Lobelia in general stays quite clean. In this photo the worst affected area of the tank is shown. I may do some weeding in there during this weekend.

There you have it, a set of large closeups of my tank. I'll try to get all my images organized and prepare a series of photos of the tank over the last two years.
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 19:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yeah Dr.,

That's what I am talking about. I appreciate your willingness to show us the beauty of your black plants

And I agree, there is sure some algae left in the tank. At least it doesn't make me feel like I am the only one with this kind of issues.

And yes, go dig out the old pics, please

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 20:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Very nice!

The colors alone are something to really appreciate. I particularly like the way the baby tears in the second pick go in front of the tall corner plants that frame the tank.

Anyway, BBA just about everyone has some. The co2 inconsistency definitely increases the growth rate of the BBA, that coupled with high organics IMO makes the BBA flourish. I see many very big waste producers in the tank. That is a difficult mix with a highlight planted tank. I see about 15 pretty good size fish not counting the rummys and whatever else you have in there. These fish simply create too much waste and their food requirements are larger too. They give you very little room for error. I also get BBA in my tank mostly on the hardscape and sometimes on the Blyxa because it doesn't get enough light to grow. IMO you have to push the co2 to the max to control BBA in a tank like yours or in that case most tanks that have a fairly large organics load.

BTW - When I first saw your Limnophila aromatica I thought it was stargrass. As you might know I have the same plant as the centerpiece of my scape. I usually replant the tops though. I guess it depends on the look you want. When you cut the top I usually get multiple headers coming out of the cut stem which results in a bushier look, but thinner stems and probably less colorful.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 23:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I see about 15 pretty good size fish not counting the rummys

I thought my fishload wasn't too horrible, though the explosion of black mollies have made it a bit high. I'm planning to get rid of some of those. Besides the rummies there's three Yoyos, six Tiger barbs, three medium sized black mollies (and a bunch of little ones), and then now the six Otos. Mhmmm... summing it all up like this does make it sound like a lot. I need to get rid of the Mollies.

Anyway, I've gone through some of my files and have come up with a series of photos that show off the tank quite well. I've resized them so they're all the same size, which made the first couple a bit blurry. Those were taken with a normal camera, and I don't quite recall where I put the originals, so these will have to do.

Here we go, it started with an empty tank, with only the background installed:

Then I filled it up with water and let the bogwood pieces soak, only two of those ended up in the tank. This was May, 2004

The first plants, I thought it looked awfully empty.

And about two weeks later it looked a lot better: June 2004. The first fish, a couple of Rummies were added to the tank (they still live).

In August I started running into some trouble, staghorn and cloudy waters, I hated my tank:

Some two and a half weeks later, the water issues were mostly solved, getting rid of the staghorn took longer.

Another week later I was slowly starting to like the tank again: September 2004

The end of October, 2004. The Angelfish have decided to become vegetarians and ripped many of the plants apart.

Januari, 2005. The angels are still eating the plants, but plant growth has picked up, first week one:

Then one week later:

And one month after that, right after a weeding session:

July, 2005. About a year after setup. The angels are doing great, laying eggs nearly every two weeks, but I've returned two of them to the petstore, there was too much aggression between them. The plants are not doing very well and the nesting often prevents me from maintenance as I don't want to scare the parents:

October, 2005. Bernard once said that I'm a heavy weeder. He's very right, I think I overdo it a bit.

February 2006, I've moved the Angels to a different tank and now have started a more consistent fertilization schedule. Plantgrowth is picking up beautifully:

Ten days of fertized growth:

The next day it was time for some heavy weeding. Too much? Yeah, you're probably right:

March 2006: A month later, plantgrowth is great, but so is algae growth. I hoped the fertilizing according to the EI schedule would prevent it, but the problems with consistent CO2 delivery probably pit a stick in the wheel.

July 2006: The tank is now up and running for two years. Summer is over and I'm trying another fresh start. This year new light have been installed and pretty soon I hope to have a hood which makes it easier to maintain the tank.

September 9, 2006: The hood is still under construction, but the tank is picking up under a somewhat better controlled fertilization and CO2 delivery, I have not quite given up hope yet.

September 24, 2006: The most recent photo up to date. Still some algae, but it's not too bad, coming weekend there's more time for maintenance. new photos will be made
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2006 22:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Awesome Dr.,

That sums it up nicely,visually and emotionally. 2 years of ups and downs, we are for sure in the same boat

Visually I like the "February 2006" shot the best, the tank seems to display the greatest depth at that stage.

I am wondering also, do you think your hand-made background was worth the effort (and the water displacement)? Most of the time it cannot even be seen in the pictures, except after some heavy weed whacking. I would also assume that the surface of it allows for algae populations to thrive as cleaning them off seems impossible to me.

Thanks for the summary, very nice,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2006 10:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I am wondering also, do you think your hand-made background was worth the effort (and the water displacement)? Most of the time it cannot even be seen in the pictures, except after some heavy weed whacking. I would also assume that the surface of it allows for algae populations to thrive as cleaning them off seems impossible to me.

The answer to that is simple: No

Over the past two years I've often thought that I made that thing way too thick, and as you say, in a heavily planted tank you just don't see it enough. I think that it would probably work very well in a cichlid tank with mostly rocks (though then in a color matching the natural rocks).

However, in a freshly weeded tank, I still like the look of it, and if I would start completely anew with a tank, I probably would still make some kind of background, I'd just keep it a whole lot thinner and probably would not put nearly as much effort in it as I have done for this one. The lower part could have been a quarter inch thick and totally flat, and you'd never know it once the tanks has grown in a little.
Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2006 12:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Actually I really enjoyed that about your thread DR. Bonke. I still find the texture at the top very attractive compared to a flat peice of glass that is easily figured to be painted or backed with cardboard. I agree it would do the job thinner and the bottom half isn't visible, but I've always thought it would have been worth it.

Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2006 17:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Just a brief update of the tank as it was during the weekend. This photo was taken on the 6th. All in all I'm happy with the way it is progressing. the light fertilization seems to have helped with the plantgrowth and algae issues. a bit of phosphate keeps the front window quite clean and stops the staghorn from taking over the place. And the micros keep my plants pretty.

Here it is
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 00:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Very Very Nice,

And oh so colorful, looks really good. If there is anything that I would change then it would be to make the group in the back right (Ludwigia?) a little more dense. All other plants seem to grow in a tight group setting while this one seems more loosely organized.

But the rest is pure beauty, good job Dr.,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 13:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Green with envy over your tank. Such beautiful colours, pinks & what not.

I can't pick a favourite shot - I love them all.

Walks away, jealously grumbling about own tank - full of nothing but green.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Thanks for the compliments I'm quite happy with the way the tank is going. Some plants may not be quite as lush as they could be if I would dose more fertilizer, but the colors make up for it. Besides, the slower growth also means less work to maintain it.

If there is anything that I would change then it would be to make the group in the back right (Ludwigia?) a little more dense.

That group is Bacopa caroliniana, and yes, it could be a bit more dense. I've initiated that already by cutting off a couple of tops and replanting them, it shouldn't take too long I think. They tend to grow about 5 cm in a week.

It looks good, but I still feel the tank is a bit unbalanced, with most of the reds on the right side and the greens on the left. I have some of the red cryptos on the far left, but they're not really taking off over there. Probably the shade from the Hygrophila keeps them small. Maybe once I have the red tiger lotus back up in shape I'll move that to the left side (there's only a couple of really small ones left, one in the front-right center). I need to think on that.

Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 15:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
with most of the reds on the right side and the greens on the left
Well, I call this a theme, like "war of the colors" .

Bacopa, yeah - I guess I have to clean my glasses. Ups, forgot that I don't wear any. Well, maybe I should

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2006 20:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Another update then, this one with a photo of the tank as it was this afternoon, two weeks after the previous photo. I'm very pleased with the way things are going in the tank. With an old measuring cup and a part of my old CO2 reactor, I've made an intake for the powerhead that I use to diffuse CO2 into the water. The new setup works much better then the piece of filter sponge that I used before. That would get full of debris within a few days, resulting in much slower waterflow. The new system has now been in place for four days and still gives me the same high waterflow, which means a much more stable CO2 distribution.

Since the previous post I think that the black beard algae has not increased at all! It really starts to look like I'm eradicating it from the tank. In fact, I have seen very little algae appear at all in those two weeks. Just a hint of spot algae on the front glass and on the slow growing plants, and a few strands of staghorn right next to the CO2 injector. Besides that, algae growth seems to have stopped completely *fingers crossed*.

Now before I go to the photos, I'll just hint at some work I'll be doing during the next few days/weeks. That will be the building on a new hood for the tank. I now have all the materials I need (I think) and it is just a matter of figuring out how to put it all together in a smart way which doesn't look totally horrible. Here's a very rough drawing of how it approximately will look. I'm planning to take photos of the intermediate steps, so stay tuned.

The tank on the 6th of October

And today, the 20th of October

I've started a trimming schedule that I've picked up from Amano's Articles in TFH, it should result in much denser groups of plants. Let's see how it turns out. I have also added two plants, one should be easy to spot: Cyperus helferi. The other is more difficult to find: Cryptocoryne molmanni. I'm still not sure on their respective places, but then again, I'm on the lookout for some new drifwood, and may do a complete makeover once the new hood is installed.
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 22:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Very Nice Dr.,

And glad to hear that the algae is not increasing. It is a wonder what regular maintenance and a few improvements can do for you

I think that propper diffusion and distribution of CO2 is really important, and the fact that your previous setup was clogging up in a few days may have had a lot to do with the algae.

So you are working on a new hood, interesting. Matty will truely enjoy the in-progress shots, as I - as an amateur - will admire your craftsmanship

The tank has become really full, very nice. I see the helferi, and I am surprised you bought only one. It will take some time to settle and then it will grow new leaves nicely. A word of caution though: I found it to be a plant that because of its rather slow growth tends to be one of the first to get algae. Also, it doesn't like shading.

Have fun,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 14:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Good to hear about the eradication of algae...planted tankers everywhere rejoice!

That looks like a pretty sleek lookin' design you got for that new hood. What are you using for the wood?

Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 17:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Very nice job with the plants. Keen to see the progress of the hood too. Very clever to be able to build it yourself.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 13:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I see the helferi, and I am surprised you bought only one. It will take some time to settle and then it will grow new leaves nicely.

There is actually two of them, right behind one another. The reason I bought so few was that they were rather expensive (8€ a pot, which is about 10$ US) and I had no idea how they would do in my tank. They were a new plant species for the petstore and they couldn't tell me too much about it, except the name. If they grow nicely, I guess I'll be able to multiply them somehow (I have to look that up though) or, get more once the petstore has them again. We'll see.

That looks like a pretty sleek lookin' design you got for that new hood. What are you using for the wood?

Thanks I hope it'll turn out as good as I have it in my mind. The material actually isn't wood, but 4 mm thick perspex. I was looking for suitable wood for some time, but the only material that came close didn't look very nice and I had to buy 4 m2 at once, which was a bit much. I then started looking out for some kind of hard plastic, as that is what the current hood is made off, and finally ended up with the perspex.

If it was going to be just the perspex, the whole thing would get rather wobbly. The 4 mm thickness, which was as thick as I wanted it to make pricewize, is just not stiff enough for that sort of thing, so I'm building it on a lightweight aluminium corner profile frame. So far most of the time has gone into planning the order in which I should put the stuff together. If I don't do that, the final result will be a mess that I can't use, especially getting the lid working correctly is a bit of a challenge. I have a 1 meter (3 ft) long hinge that I have to fix to two pieces of perspex in such a way that it can just over extend a little to make the angle downwards, but not too far or they won't fit on top. I'll make some more photos, but here's a preview, in the beginning I used some tape to get the whole thing together to see if it actually worked.

On the photo you can see the perspex hood, a u-frame aluminium profile and the 1m hinge (plus some of the additional mess that comes with DIY )
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 19:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr.,

I know nothing about DIY projects, so all I can say is - Looks Nice

But about the Helferi: the plant tends to create side shoots that can be separated from the main plant, but that would pretty much require to dig it up as the shoots start at or below substrate level. Also it is mentioned that one can split the rhizome to propagate. Somehow, for me that seems to be the same.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 14:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Wow, I'd never thought of using a plastic for a hood, though I've seen it before on tanks. Are you going to be painting the plastic to keep light in the hood and in the tank? I imagine with a reflector it wouldn't be too bad if you didn't paint it, but I don't know.

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 15:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I guess I'll have to see how the Helferi does in the long run. I have a mild concern about a slight increase in some staghorn algae, which seem to be popping up across the tank, so I've upped my phosphate dosage a little bit. I hope that will do the trick.

Matty, I'm not planning to paint the plastic, as I don't think that would result in a very nice finish... though maybe spray painting would work, I'll keep that in mind if my primary idea doesn't work. And that primary idea is basically a huge sticker From the same strore where I bought the perspex, I bought a rather convincing roll of fake-wood sticky plastic... I'm not sure what the correct english word is for that stuff, but it's a bit like wall paper, only then plastic and self-adhesive. They had it in several kinds of "wood", and I was lucky enough to find the same beech color as the base of the old hood (which, btw, also is fake-wood).

So, once I have all the parts ready for assemby, and some after assembly, they will be wrapped in the self adhesive plasic and fitted together. I just hope it'll stick nicely... if not I'll have to use a bit of the two-component glue I have as backup. The lamps themselves are already fitted with high-polished aluminium reflectors, so making the hood white on the inside is not really necessary.

Tonight I think I'll make a second mockup, this time with the lid installed, to see how it all works. I may have some photos of it, later on.
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 16:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 2
male australia
EditedEdited by coop
wanna let me in on what species the pinky coloured plant on the right is? and the red lilley looking thing?
so u dont have an algea eater im guessing, how come you dont get any algea on your plants but heaps on your DW and background?
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2006 10:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thought I'd pop in and ask how is the DIY hood progressing?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 00:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
wanna let me in on what species the pinky coloured plant on the right is? and the red lilley looking thing?
so u dont have an algea eater im guessing, how come you dont get any algea on your plants but heaps on your DW and background?

I think that the plants you mean are Alternanthera reineckii "roseafolia"(the pinky coloured plant on the right) and red tiger lotus (the red lilley looking thing). The tiger lotus is still very small and has been growing rather slowly since it came off its bulb.

I do have seven Otocinclus algae eaters, but algae eaters generally don't really make a dent on the algae in any tank. I sometimes observe them when they're rasping the algae off the front glass (there isn't much to begin with) but I can never really see a difference before and after they've grazed. The reason why I have not so much algae on the plants is because the plants "renew". Old, algae covered parts are removed when I trim them back to size. The background and wood on the other hand don't change, they're always on the same location and thus are continuously exposed to algae growth. What you see there has accumulated over the last two years.

Thought I'd pop in and ask how is the DIY hood progressing?

Rather slowly. During the weekend after my previous entry, when I was supposed to work on it, my wife has taken me out, looking for new curtains. Then there was a certain part that I had to glue. The problem was that the glue needed sunlight (UV to be specific) in order to get activated and harden. Mother nature decided that Finland needed some more rain and kept it completely overcast for nearly two weeks with rivers of rain and now snow. Last week I had the luck that one morning when I had to visit an eye-specialist later in the morning, the weather was actually good enough to do the glueing. Since then I've been slowly making some progress, and I think that this weekend I may actually give the whole thing a fitting on the tank. If I'm not too drained after the gym workout later today, I may still do a bit of work on it.

It'll be finished, one day
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 16:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coop
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 2
male australia

see i have a styrofoam background aswell. it is a root system style one. i think it would look a lot more natural with algea on it, but the BN keeps everything completely clear of algea.

my 55G has been all green and i've just decided add sum contrast. i'll be adding sum whorly rotala, a red echindoras of sum sort an sumthin pink, Alternanthera reineckii, thanx to you.
you sold your angels right?
well the zebra was one of the best looking ones ive seen in a while.
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 09:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Abrief update on the hood construction, The basic frame is now ready and aligned. It took some time to get the corner connections right, but the final result is very pleasing with basically no space in between the connecting pieces. I've "sunk" the screws into the plastic, so the surface will be completely smooth. One thing I'm not yet quite sure of is whether I will indeed cover the new hood with the wood texture plastic. In a way I kinda like the glossy black. The only problem is that it shows fingerprints awfully easy.

Here's some pictures. The first one is just the frame, then the second one is with the lid loosely attached. I've already noticed a small problem with the alignment of the hinges That's going to take a while to figure out, but I think I'll get it right in the end. the last one is with the lid open, which shows how much elbow space I'll have when I'll be working in the tank it's about three times as much as I have right now.

Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 17:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Wow, that's pretty dang sleek lookin' Dr. Bonke. You are right, that's a nice wide space to work with when open. Great job, it looks like you took everything into account. I can't wait to see it in action.

One thing I just thought of, are there any vent holes in the back or sides? I would think that it might be needed, unless you have a nice cool house most of the time.

Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 18:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Wow, that's pretty dang sleek lookin' Dr. Bonke. You are right, that's a nice wide space to work with when open. Great job, it looks like you took everything into account. I can't wait to see it in action.

One thing I just thought of, are there any vent holes in the back or sides? I would think that it might be needed, unless you have a nice cool house most of the time.

Thanks Matty, I'm quite curious myself to see how it'll turn out when it's in working order Right now there aren't any ventilation holes just yet, but there will be. I have already bought two "ultra-quiet" ball-bearing 6 cm fans that will be installed somewhere on the back of the hood. I need them as the T5 lamps that will be there generate enough heat to get the water temperature up to 33 Celsius. But before I make the holes, I want to see how the lamps will fit in there, so I can choose the best position for the fans based on that layout.

Hopefully I'll get to that stage during this weekend
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2006 19:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I like the hood & I like it black. That opening is great. I'm thinking if your lights will be screwed to the underside of the lid, you won't have to remove the hood for tank maintenance. That would be so good. It is a hassle finding somewhere to rest my hood (that the light cord will reach) while I work in the tank.

Now, if we weren't separated by sooo much ocean, I'd ask you to set up a little production factory in your basement & I'd buy 3 custom hoods from you. hehehe

Looking good.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 00:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr,

I have to say that this is the sleekest design I have seen for any custom hood ever, very very lean. Love it!!!!

But, where exactly are the lights going? Into the part that flaps up? Will you add reflectors as well (you better, as I think you would loose loads of light otherwise )?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 11:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Now, if we weren't separated by sooo much ocean, I'd ask you to set up a little production factory in your basement & I'd buy 3 custom hoods from you. hehehe

Nah, you wouldn't, because I'm very expensive But really, this thing has become quite a lot pricier than I intended it to be. For the most part that is caused by the environment here in Finland, which is totally not geared towards DIY. Ten little M3 bolts, without the nuts, already cost about 4$ USD, I need about 30 of them just for the hinge I holland I probably could have gooten all need for just a few bucks. Oh well

Ingo, the lights will be installed with reflectors, so I'm not too worried about loss of light. Two 55 watts (50 cm each) T5 lamps go in the fixed part of the top (in the rear), then another two of those will be attached to the opening part of the lid, and I'm still considering whether I'll attach the current unit of two 38 watt T8 lamps in there, or just one of those. The current unit is rather unwieldy, and I may have to take it apart so I probably won't use it. I think I'll get ready for installing the lamps during this weekend, or the next weekend at the latest. It has to be finished by next weekend, as the weekend after that my parents are flying over and the appartment has to be squeeky clean by then, wife's orders
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 19:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
after that my parents are flying over and the appartment has to be squeeky clean by then, wife's orders
Sounds familiar to me, wonder where I have heard such orders before? Ah, that's right, at home

Anyway, your hood being so sleek, how far above the water column would the foremost units be? Seems like they would almost be in the water. Also, will there be a glass top above the water?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 19:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Anyway, your hood being so sleek, how far above the water column would the foremost units be? Seems like they would almost be in the water. Also, will there be a glass top above the water?

Ah, actually, it'll be quite a goodly distance. The part that I'm building is somethhing that I'm adding to the existing structure. Here's an old photo of the entire tank (from when I just planted it, two years ago).

As you can see here, the hood consists of just a 7 cm high "wooden" structure (which is made of plastic). This canopy is covered by the light unit and two plastic flaps that can be opened, one in the back and one in the front. The part that I'm building right now is to replace the current light unit. It will basically sink about half a cm into the "wood" that you can see here. The "wood" itself is glued to the glass and I don't dare remove it (especially with a filled tank), so I'm just adding a little on top.
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2006 19:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Nearly done!

I spent about 7 hours on the new hood today and my back is killing me for it, but I think it was worth it. Most of the work today was measuring, drilling, fitting, measuring some more, taking apart, drilling, fitting, more measuring, etc

Right now I'm at the stage where everything has been fitted into the new setting and seems to work, only the final touches are still required to make everything look good. It'll probably take me another two hours tomorrow evening to get that done.

Two things that will take a bit more work:
- fabricating,measuring, fitting and drilling two corner profiles to support the lid at the sides, near the hinges. I thought I wouldn't need those, but I've noticed that without them there is a bit too much movement, and opening the lid will give too much stress on the rear bolts. If I don't make those, I fear that it'll casue the perspex to break in the back after some time.
- reversing the ventilators at the back and installing the regulator for adjusting the fan speed. I tested them today, and found out that the fans are now blowing air out of the hood... I think I'll get better cooling if I actively blow cool air into the hood. I already have the fan regulator and it works nicely, except for the problem that it only has one connection for a single fan, I'm going to splice the wiring so it'll take two fans instead. all in all it shouldn't take much more than 15 minutes or so.

Here's then some pictures, I found the oríginals not very clear so I've photoshopped the lights and airflow in there. Enjoy.

PS: As you can see, my most trusted adviser keeps a close eye on my workmanship

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 00:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
All seems to be going well with the new hood. I'm so glad you have a wise & trusted advisor, ensuring you do no wrong.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2006 00:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Dr.,

A cat is your adviser? Be careful that the finished product is not some form of fish trap that provides a snack

Anyway, I looked at the pictures before reading the words, one shouldn't do if one is to avoid unnecessairy questions, like "that are some skinny bulbs there", . Nice photoshop work.

And overall, seems to come together really nicely.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 00:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
A cat is your adviser? Be careful that the finished product is not some form of fish trap that provides a snack

Good point, I didn't quite consider that, but unless she suddenly learns to lift heavy stuff I think it'll be alright

It is done, it still took several hours of fiddling and it looks like I still need to make a few minor adjustments (somehow the lid seems to be 2½ mm off to one side... and yes, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this ), BUT... it works, it fits, it is silent and it looks pretty!

I won't talk much, it's late, I'm tired and I still have to clean up the mess, so I'll leave you with three photos: the first one is the old situation, with the "original" system where I added the two noisy fans to keep things cool. All the stripes are pieces of double sided tape I put on top to keep the cats from sleeping on the hood (and no, it didn't really work... spraying with water did).

Then this is the one you've been waiting for:

I just realized that this angle may not be the best, maybe I'll take another photo tomorrow.

Finally, the lid open. When I first did that I was kind of stunned myself, I can reach the ENTIRE surface of the water and still have light in the tank, which will make working in it so much easier.

For this one also the angle may not be the best, I'll see if I can get some better shots tomorrow.

In any case, enjoy and feel envy
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 00:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Looking very sharp and shiny, Dr.

Good job on getting it all together, but you have to work on the two mm,

Anway, yeah - having lights on the tank and being able to reach all areas inside the tank is a great thing. I have this on all my tanks when I remove the glass cover but keep the elevated unit in place.

Have a good sleep,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Wow, that looks great Dr. Bonke. I would love one of those myself. Gotta love all that room to be able to mess with the tank without having to lift a fixture off the tank every time. I wish I'd have thought of that for my SW fixture. I have a feeling that I'm going to be making that one over again. I'll probably stay away from the plastic, but I might steal that hinge idea.

Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 01:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Very Impressive, very sleek. One Issue with for example the coralife fixtures over a glass top is that the light shines on the glass top which highlights the dust and other smudges on the glass. When the light is completely contained inside the hood (as it is with your unit) the light only shines into the tank.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 16:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Impressive job. Let us know when 2mm has been taken care of

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2006 23:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
Today was a day off so I actually had some extra time to do a bit of work in the tank. A bit of trimming, waterchanges, etc. All in all I'm quite pleased though the stargrass looks rather thin atm due to the cutting. I cut away the tops and left the bottom parts in as an experiment to see if it'll slow down growth a bit or not (replanted tops reach the surface within a week since I started fertalizing with Nitrate again). Other news is that I've finally received the glass covering for the tank, evaporation issues should be covered now.

Anyway, I've taken some photos of the tank(s) after today's waterchange. Enjoy.

PS, the 2 mm still needs to be taken care off, it involves remving the whole hood and widening some of the drilling holes on top. Right now I just cant be bothered with it

first some whole tank shots:
20.10.06: Just over a month ago, before I changed the hood

30.11.06: A month later, new hood is installed and I've started dosing with nitrate again (before I dosed only with micros and a bit of phosphate

06-12-06: Today, right after a water change. Note that the increased amount of Nitrate causes quite a different color in the sunset hygro, instead of the deep pink, it's now a light rose.

Some other shots, first the bucnh of greedy tigerbarbs... these guys are ALWAYS hungry, and when they get food they eat so fast that almost every time a few of them swallow a lot of air and have major buoyancy problems after dinner:

A detail shot of the tiger lotus, it was tiny a few weeks ago, but it has grown a lot in the last two weeks and produces a new leaf every few days. I even managed to catch a couple of rummies in this shot:

Finally a shot of the other tank, I recently installed some new lamps and reflectors, since then plants are actually showing some growth again... next year I may get a similar T5 lighting system for that tank, it's just a little too dark for my liking.

Oh, and tomorrow I may actually be getting my tenth gold star.... if I don't break down in nerves that is
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 21:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Man! That is unreal! Only in my dreams I will have that!

Guess it just goes to show what knowledge, planning, hard work & determination can achieve!
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 22:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
its beautiful.

wow.

GFG

Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 22:17Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Simply beautiful. I'll interested to hear if cutting from the top slows down the stem growth. I'm growing weary of pulling out the stems each week for trimming - yes they reach the top in a week, same as yours.

BTW, you must get to work on that 2mm

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 23:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 07-Dec-2006 03:49
This post has been deleted
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male usa
Very nice colors, the stargrass looks exceptionally healthy. I have a love/hate relationship with that plant in my tank and I keep reducing it's presence due to the maintenance involved. Cutting the tops might buy you alittle extra time, but probably not much.

I also have a recently acquired tiger lotus and it's growing new leaves quite rapidly. I'm told if a leaf makes it to the surface the plant will die.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 03:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
male finland
I also have a recently acquired tiger lotus and it's growing new leaves quite rapidly. I'm told if a leaf makes it to the surface the plant will die.

Nah, that's nonsense. The plant is just like a regular lilly and will keep on making new leaves, but they will then all go to the surface. At that point it will become harder to induce it to make the immersed leaves. So in general, as soon as you start seeing a leaf going to the surface, snip it off close to the bulb. Most of the time the next leaf will be immersed again.
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 08:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by Wingsdlc
Very nice colors,
I also agree with Tetra on the colors. I must be running way too high of Nitrates in my high tech for my sunset to color up. It is almost always bright green.

In my 29G most of the stems are either pink or dark pink. In this tank I do hardly any dosing and I am running way less light (20W). The low nitrates must be the key to keeping this plant looking sharp.

What are you dosing for nitrates BTW?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2006 15:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies