L# Need Anubias ID...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNeed Anubias ID...
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
I just bought a Crypt Wendtii and an unidentified Anubias that the store clerk recommended to me for my low-light tank. The only problem is i'm not sure what species it is but it's huge in my 29 gallon. The leaves are about 7 inches long and pointed at the end. The plant almost reaches the top of the water. I searched the internet to try and find the name of it and the closest thing i could find was Anubias Congensis. The LFS guy did not know the exact species but did say it was a rarer species....and expensive. Does anyone have a clue what this could be?
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 23:47Profile PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Brian,

There are quite a few pointed Anubias species, I think afzelii, gigantea, and hastifolia could be considered.

I would suggest you google these names and let the web guide you from one site to the next until you found yours.

But don't forget to tell us what rare species you got there

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
I think it's either Anubias Gigantea or Congensis. Can't tell the difference based on the photos and sites i looked at. All i know is this is a tall plant with long, lanceolated leaves. Any Anubias experts around here?
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 01:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
If you have either Gigantea or Congensis, then they will outgrow your 29 for sure. The first one has very large leaves and is rather tall as well, the second on grows pretty tall, the largest leaf in my 125G (about 24" in tank height) has its tip grown out of the water.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 14:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Are the leaves shaped like an arrow head or a spear head? If the former it's closer to Gigantae, if the latter it's closer to Congensis. Either way it'll get big, gigantae being the larger.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2006 15:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies