Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew Tropica plants 2006.
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
I came across this page while browsing thru the Tropica website.

http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?type=tropica&id=734

Some of the plants listed ain't so new. But 2 caught my attention for personal reasons.

V.Nana is a plant I picked up over a year ago in Singapore. I've been quietly reccomending it, but I think it went under most peoples radar.
I really like this plant. The very thin graceful leaves are beauties. Very easy to grow, almost too easy as it spreads runners all over the tank, but these are easy to pull up and if planted close to the mother plant a really attractive thick grove is produced.
They get very tall for me -about 24" - but the very narrow leaves make this much less of a problem then other vals and luckily plantys like Anubias and crypts look great in front of them so no real issue there.
I've had them relegated to the back of the tank but have started to bring them forward more as the amount increased and really like having a dense grassy jungle of them.
Highly reccomended.

The other that caught my attention was the crypts growing on stone ! A brilliant idea. I love crypts and often wish I could layer them like stem plants or place them at a mid height in the tank the way you can with Anubias or Fern. Unfortuantely it doesn't say what species are used but that's not going to stop me from picking up some lava rock and a few Wendtiis or Luteas !!

Enjoy !

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 08:42Profile PM Edit Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Thanks for the news bensaf. Val. nana certainly looks beautiful, looks a lot like cyperus helferi only seems much easier to care for/ less demanding. At the same time, it is a val species so those runners can get out of control pretty fast, which is a turn-off for me Although I can see how this would work very well in a large, long tank where there's ample space to create that jungle effect.

As for the Chia-Crypt rock, couldnt you just tie a crypt to a rock with string? I mean, if it gets all its nutrition from the WC anyway why bury it at all?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 13:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Ahh... thats the Val you have been talking about. I like it! but I really like the first forground plant and the dimand sword.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 13:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Rounded rocks.... hum....

The val and that foreground plant look interesting.
I wish we could get plants from Tropica.

Thanks for the link Ben.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 15:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
I really like the first two as ground cover. The second one is carnivous. Sounds like an unwater venus fly trap or should I say "fry" trap.

But we can't order from Tropica. Thanks for the tease Bensaf

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 01:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
EditedEdited by bensaf
But we can't order from Tropica. Thanks for the tease Bensaf

If I wanted to tease you guys I'd put on the wedding skirt and stick some flowers behind me ears

Most of the plants listed there are not exclusive to Tropica. The exceptions may me the Swords. No doubt they too will go the way of the Wendelov fern and become a plant sold by every Tom, and Harry.

Certainly the others are available in the US thru online sellers. Most come from Oriental Aquariums in Singapore.

I picked up the Val in a LFS in S'pore. Guy practically forced me to take piles of it - it was taking over his tank

The runners are prolific but very easy to deal with - still way less work then the average stem plant. It's a beauty. There's a old pic of mine from a previous thread below.

www.aquaspot.com is a S'pore online retailer that ships worldwide with very reasonable prices - awesome selection of plants. They ccan get you pretty much every thing on that Tropica list.

Attached Image:

Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 03:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
As for the Chia-Crypt rock, couldnt you just tie a crypt to a rock with string? I mean, if it gets all its nutrition from the WC anyway why bury it at all?

It's true about the nutrition. But I always assumed crypt roots to be a bit sensitive, seen as how every time you uproot them they get sulky and melt Also read something somewhere about the chemicals they release to start the melting originating in the roots Anyway I always assumed they wouldn't appreciate having the roots exposed.

Anyway if they do grow well this way I guess it's another blow to the "heavy root feeding" myth.

Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Gotta wash out that dirty mouth bensaf!. And, umm....Aquaspot is for sale for $2,200.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Aquaspot is for sale
There was something on APC where they discussed the legality of imports from such providers in the Asian realm. Something about certificates that may cause an order to be withheld by customs and so forth.

Nice of you Bensaf to give us a teaser on what we could purchase from Tropica, if we had access to it. On the other hand, aren't most Tropica plants eventually ending up on the market anyway, given that hobbyists spread the original plants bought and/or smuggled from Tropica will multiply and go to retail way (store and/or online) ?

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 11:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
Intresting thing with those cryptocoryne rocks. I remember a while back when a newbie was on this site and posted pictures of their plants which they did not know what they were. They turned out to be wendtiis and they had them growing in the substrate and on the rocks great.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 19:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Gotta wash out that dirty mouth bensaf!

Hmmm, it's a sad day when the short form of the name Richard, used in a common innocent way, is auto censored by a machine and then has to be edited out by a human. I swear I can feel the life blood being sucked out of me sometimes

Don't understand the Aquaspot being on sale thing

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 03:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I thought that was a bit dumb as well, but I guess the machine can't read into context.

As for aquaspot, I click on the link - actually I have to enter the link into my browser, the hyperlink doesn't work - and it takes me to a page that says the site is for sale.

Attached Image:

i actually enter www.aquaspo.tom and it takes me there

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 04:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Opppsss....me bad..gave the wrong address.

This is the correct one

www.aquaspotworld.com

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 05:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Wow, they really did have everything. Prices weren't too bad, but I'm used to paying cost at the lfs I work at. I may end up going through them to get a couple plants when I get my tank actually up and going.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 14:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies