----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
EditedEdited by DaMossMan
Hello all

I haven't updated since mid december, so thought I'd share.
Had some major sidetracking lately, including sorting tax papers, bills, then car repairs and trying to organize my apartment (ongoing) etc etc. Some tank stuff has slacked, but a few new things.

3rd week in February some nice stuff thru trades.
18th - some stem plants and 5 types of moss.
20th - 3 types of floating plants
21st - a colony group of Endlers livebearers (12)

Trading is great to get plants you would not have bought.
Most of the stem plants are a bit higher light/tech then my 40g and may not make it. The mosses alone made it worthwhile.

40g - new plants added
Jungle Val
S polyrhiza - like a giant duckweed with purple underside.
Ludwigia repens, Elodia crispa, Potamogeton gayi
Watersprite (Ceratopteris pteroides) - removed already
H corymbosa 'siamensis' - also removing.
H polysperma 'ceylon' and 'sunset'
Rotala indica ?

No other changes made to the 40g. Occasional batches of co2 and flourish excel for an algae deterrent. Vals and E najas don't like excel. BBA is still in there, I'll be trying hydrogen peroxide for that soon, thanks to FishKeeperJim.

What's new in the 10g red ramshorn snail tank.

* Endlers livebearers, added a turface substrate, bumped the light up to 2wpg of 6500k, made a sponge prefilter for the penguin mini-filter to keep plant gunk/snails out.

* Mar 19th - tied the moss samples to driftwood bits.
They were in their baggies over a month so I hope they make it. Mosses are Erect, Christmas, Singapore, Zipper (F.Zeppelianus), and F fontanus. Those of you that know me are not surprised, I like mosses lol. The samples were small, and a couple were very small. Crossing my fingers, if the erect and at least 1 of the fissidens species do well, I'll be a very happy camper.

* Also added - Asian ambulia, Amazon frogbit,
Watersprite (small leaf) (Ceratopteris thalictroides),
Najas grass, Star Grass (H zosterifolia)

I've painted the inside of the hood with flat white paint. It's supposed to work better then kitchen foil for helping more light get down into the tank. I'll fog a 4th layer on tonight. Tomorrow night I'll pop it in.

* makes note - analog timer no longer working, check battery or consider a digital timer.

The keyhole cichlids in the 40g doing very well.
I have 2m, 1 f/m. The alpha male looks awesome. The f/m is showing alot darker coloration suddenly. Not sure if she wants a mate or stressed. No bonding yet. I may be rehoming those to a friend when I get a group of juvie Laetacara dorsigera in 3-4 weeks off a local breeder.
I wish I had more room for tanks, but I don't

My water aging tank is 15g now so I can do 25% water changes to both tanks on the same day. Now the plan is to do it weekly, and not slack.

I'm finding the 'Log Books - CALENDAR' in FP to be invaluable, I journal everything there. It should help me be more consistent with maintenance. Now if it could help with procrastination ?

Now just seeing how the new plants settle in. (The L repens, R indica and P gayi seem to be doing the best. The others in the 40 not well) and seeing what else needs to be done. Some new light tubes are needed. My crypts aren't growing anymore, I should check into diy fert balls next, I haven't really been dosing any nutrients. The 10g has most of my time lately, but the 40 needs some too.

That's it for now. Pics coming soon.
Any thoughts, comments welcome.
Thanks

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2008 02:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies