Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlant lights.
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
ok i have a 29g tank and i was wondering how well would a 20w flourescent bulb work it came in the package with the tank,it was an aquatech combo.Also any plant suggestions would be helpful.

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2007 17:39Profile PM Edit Report 
dmarkham0117
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 18
male usa
Madddenigndream,

IMO even if the bulb that came with your setup was in the right light spectrum it wouldn't be enough to support a wide variety of plants. The math = almost .7 watts per gallon. You might be able to get away with growing some java moss.

I like to use bulbs in the spectrum of 5500-6700K range, and i have always used CF lamps. I think a minimum of 1.5wpg is needed to grow any of the other low light requiring plants so that they are healthy. At that light level I think you could successfully add most of the anubias, wisteria, and hornwort.

I am sure some of the more experienced forum posters will have some more suggestions as well.

Good luck, and I hope you can get your planted tank started soon.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2007 18:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks,What kind of lights would you suggest and where would i find higher watt Flourescents to fit the 24' fixture?

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2007 02:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
You would have to get another fixture. For a low light setup a twin tube fixture with 2 20w bulbs would suffice.

For medium a light setup, look into a 30" 65 w power compact fixtures, or a dual 65w fixture for a high light setup.

My favorite brand of pc fixtures are the coralife fixtures.

Hope that helps.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2007 02:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dmarkham0117
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
I'm more of a DIY guy when it comes to lighting so I like to buy the kit's and install it in custom canopies that I build. I use the light kits from www.AHsupply.com

I think the 2x36watt kit would work great for you. That would give you 72 watts or 2.5 watts per gallon. The kit includes everything you need except for the bulbs and you can purchase those at ahsupply as well.

Here is a pic of my latest canopy for my 125g tank.
It is an AHsupply 2x96 watt and I also purchased 2 extra 22" reflectors for the single 130watt bulb. For my 125 I have a total of 340 watts giving me just over 2.7 WPG. I have an 18w CF that I use for early morning and late evening/night time viewing. I then turn on the 130w for a couple hours and then switch to the 192w for the middle of the day. I get all kinds of "pearling" from the 192w. I then switch back to the 130w for a couple more hours before going to my 18w again. I hope all that made sense...

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2007 06:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dmarkham0117
----------
Hobbyist
male usa
IMO if you went with the 2x36 watts you would need to inject CO2. There is a DIY method for that is well if you are on a budget. I used compressed CO2 and my setup cost about $250. That includes a new 5lb CO2 tank, regulator with bubble counter, needle valve, and solenoid (which I don't use), and a diffusor for the CO2 gas.

The DIY method uses an air tight plastic bottle (2 liter coke bottle), yeast, and sugar. The by product is CO2. Only problem is that you can't control the flow.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2007 06:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks guys that helps out alot.i'll check out that site too markham.

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2007 18:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
i got the coralife 36" 2x21w on my 29 gal. the light is a bit long for the 29 but it works good for me, no need for c02 yet. ps. and its a pretty inexpensive light.

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2007 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
thanks guys you've all been the greatest help.

Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2007 01:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies