L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Planting
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePlanting
H-Dub
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
well Planted my 55, 28 and 10 gallon tanks! Cool thing is that i have been doing 3-4 water changes a week in my Bettas 10 gallon (since adding the ottos) to keep nitrAtes down around 5ppm... I added plants left it alone for about 3 days and wala! NO nitrAtes what so ever left in the tank! one day it was all the same the next day! vanished!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 23:33Profile PM Edit Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
Plants are very beneficial, not only by providing oxygen and hiding spots, but also by absorbing ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. This is just one great example of how efficient they are at doing so.

But wow, 3-4 water changes a week? That seems a bit overkill, and probably causes more harm than good. Ottos can be a bit picky about nitrates, but its only a problem when your nitrates reach 25ppm or so.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2008 02:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
H-Dub
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
that's true I am obsessive about water changes but now that I have so many plants I wont be... he used to blow a bubblenest every time I did a water change!

I've been keeping fish for over a year now and I love it, i've found that doing more frequeny smaller water changes seemed to keep my fish happier than big ones..

I'm stoked about plants other than a few of them (crypts mostly) are melting a bit
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2008 05:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies