L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Question about bulb temp
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeQuestion about bulb temp
jfenz41
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Can the temp of a bulb be too high? I have a 29g w/ 1 18w 10,000°K bulb. In the tank is a java fern that was growing fine up until a while ago. I'm trying to determine if the plant is not growing because the temp is too high or for some other reason.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 18:02Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Yes, that is high for freshwater plants. The "temperature" you see is called "color temperature," and tells you the spectrum the bulb puts out when it's new (after about 6 months of use, this tends to change, so it's recommended to change bulbs at about that interval.) That's a bulb that emits a spectrum that algae enjoy, so it is marketed for marine aquariums.

For freshwater plants, a color temperature around 6000-7000K is recommended.

><>
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 20:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Superlion is correct about the recommended kelvin range for plants thought I don't think that is the problem. 10,000K is not that far out of the recommended range. In my 55G planted tank I am running PC bulbs (much higher intensity than the normal florescent lights). The bulbs I am using are 6,700k/10,000k. My plants are growing just fine and have been for a very long time.

Could you give use some more information about your tank? How long has it been set up? Did you just change the bulb? Are you using fertilizer? What fish are you keeping? How do you have the fern planted?

With more information we might be able to help you out.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 23:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jfenz41
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Thanks for your responses. The tank has been running for about 5 yrs now. In the tank is a firemouth, kribensis, bristlenose pleco and about 10 tiger barbs. I first put plants in it (just the ferns and some moss) about 3 yrs ago, and they grew like crazy. I've been kind of lax in caring for the tank for about the last year or so and am down to only one plant in the tank. It's leaves are kind of shredded, like the fish are eating it and it is sitting on top of the gravel. The bulb has been changed once or twice, but I don't remember if that affected the plant growth. I do remember when the firemouth grew up that he used to move the plants all over the tank. Maybe the firemouth and the plants don't mix well?
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 15:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies