LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
The hongsloi is truely a pretty fish, congratulations! Reminds me a lot of my viejita II. I never had luck breeding them in my community tank, ACIDRAIN once pointed out that they actually may breed but are lousy parents. And that is not a good thing when other fishies are around.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 14:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
He is still in the tank with the viejitas which I turned into the quarantine tank as all fish except are new. He hangs out with her, actually, she is more interest in him and reserves the right to taste any food that is provided first. So probably not surprising that nothing else is happening right now. If I ever have the time I will set up an extra tank for him and the little female.

Ingo!!!! Thanks for stopping by - the viejitas in the tank have a lot of growing up to do but they are on the way. They are still not as colorful as your's was. I realize that I will have to provide a different set up if I want to breed these guys ... see above. The viejitas are already doing what drives the serious aquascaper up the wall - they are digging, I wasn't even aware that these apistos do that.

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2008 16:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
catdancer,

Just to keep you excited for things to come with your viejitas, here are mine again:

Attached Image:

Viejita II

Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
And because I can, here is another one.

I finally had some time to shoot some photos today, and when that happens there is always one or the other shot of my viejitas, by far my most beautiful fishies, but all are pretty in their own way.

Have fun,

Ingo

Attached Image:

Viejita II Again

Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 01:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Can't say which is prettiest, Claudia's hongsloi or Ingo's viejitas. It's a close call. Ingo, that 2nd shot of your pair is really a very nice picture. I haven't ever seen viejitas in real life. I hope to get a pair, one of these days. Apistos & Discus are my favourite fish - but I guess you know that.

Ingo, wouldn't another nice pair of viejitas look nice in your other tank Well, I guess you will start to get annoyed at all soon if we keep asking you for fish. I'll try to stop now

Keep up with the photos - both of you.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2008 13:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Wow ...Great shots of some beautifull fish ...Like Robyn ..I cant decide between Claudia's and Ingo's...both are fantastic . I really wish I could get American Chiclids around here .

Claudia ...Photography ...hmmmm... It looks to me as if you are taking the shots at the end of the tank with the fish framed against the side glass . That will give you the mirror effect every time . You need to get them away from the corners and take them looking directly into or down the tank...making sure that the glass from the near side is not in shot .

Hope that helps .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2008 13:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
Sorry Ingo, Robyn has better lookin fish IMO.... Great shots of both tho...

Shane

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2008 08:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Dear All!

It's been a while and my apoplogies to all I did not respond too. Well, this is a not so usual update:

I am seeking advice regarding moving of a planted tank! I will relocate to the East Coast next week - Saturday the tanks will go down, fishes will go to my favorite pet store for storage until I have set up their new homes. Will take at lest 2 weeks and then they promised to ship them.

My question to anyone who has done something like this before: will it be possible to rescue the plants (at least some of them) so I do not have to start from scratch again. Plus I have a lot and they are growing nicely despite the neglect they experienced over the last couple of months. I was thinking of transporting them in rubbermaid containers and setting them up in lare buckets until the tanks will arrive.

Also, input regarding shipment of fish is very welcome. These guys have no shipper's license, hence they have to do FedEx overnight.

thanks!!

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 04:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Claudia,
I'd put the plants into plastic ziplock bags with just a
bit of water (a tablespoon or two) and then pack them in
a box for the drive. When you get where you are going,
you could take them out of the bags and place them in a
clean bucket of water to soak while you prepare the tank.
Then plant them as if you'd just come home from the LFS
with them. They should be fine, even after a few days
in the dark.
I don't envy you living back east with all the heat and
humidity!
But most of all... Best Wishes for the new home

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 07:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Claudia ... Here in Aus good plants means getting them shipped ... the place I use wraps the plants in wet newspaper packed with some very cold water in a plastic bag ( maybe frozen when it starts out ) . All this inside a large plastic bag to keep the humidity up .

So no isuue ....the plants will be fine for a few days in this situation .

As for your fish ... I've recieved Fish posted from 2000k away in great condition so it can be done . The key is Oxygen I believe ... so if you trust the people you should be ok .

It sounds like this is a bit of a traumtic time for you ...you have our thoughts and support ..Good luck

Your friend

Garry
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 14:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Thanks guys!

Ziploc sounds so much easier than tupperware for the transport. Jowever, it is not the drive I am worried about but the fact that the tanks will not arrive immediately. Will do with some buckets. Some of the plants might not make it but I have so many ...

Frank, you might find me strange but I am actually looking forward to the heat and humidity again

Thanks again for your support!
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 15:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Frank, you might find me strange but I am actually looking forward to the heat and humidity again
I'm with you Claudia. I hate cold weather & love the heat. Could never live anywhere cold or where it snowed. Here in Sydney, we never get below 8 Celscius (think thats around 46F) - but even so, that is far too cold for my liking. If I didn't have so many things tying me to Sydney, I'd be living futher north, where it's warmer (eg QLD's Gold Coast).

Each to their own, eh Frank

Claudia, good luck with the move. I think you'll be fine packing the plants that way and even if there is some loss with the more sensitve plant varieties, its got to be cheaper than starting from scratch.

EDIT: Is Ramses making the trip?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 17:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Yep, Ramzes will make the trip as well. He had a little problem with an eye infection and as a consequence was vulnerable to harrassment by his tank mates. Apparently that told him a lesson, it also helped that the pidgeon blood male is much bigger than him by now!

Everybody will make the trip except the puffers I am reluctant to set up too many tanks as I will rent an apartment until I have sold my place ... American real estate crisis ... and some American landlords (especially the ones in the big metropolitan areas) have strange ideas.
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2008 21:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
It is about time again! I am moved in and the empty 72G is in place. Before filling in the Eco-Complete I have a question for the fellow hobbyists who have moved tanks and kept them empty for a while prior to setting them up again: what are your thoughts regarding a prophylactc application of sealant? There is no indication that something is wrong but I want to get some input before filling it ...

Thanks
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2008 05:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
prophylactc application of sealant? There is no indication that something is wrong but I want to get some input before filling it ...
Never done it, but have twice helped my son pick up & transport a 2nd hand tank bought on ebay. He simply filled up & went ahead straight away & was lucky with no leaking issues.

Are you able to temporarily place the tank in a place where leaking is not an issue, eg no carpet, etc. Outside maybe? Then you could do a test fill with water & leave it a few days to see if it leaks. If all is well, then you could empty it, move it into position & add the eco, etc. I'm sure you have thought of this yourself, so perhaps you have no suitable place to put it for the test fill?

If not, I think the main thing to ensure is that the silicon you use is aquarium safe. In Australia, not all are. The ones that are, are especially marked as aquarium safe.

Will watch this space for updates. Welcome back

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2008 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Robyn,
thanks for the welcome back, much appreciated. Now, on to the topic at hand: I can do a 'test' on my balcony but that would require quite an effort. The 'seams' of the tank look okay but a friend, currently retired from the aquatic hobby urged me to do the prophylactic resealing... Personally, I think it sufficient to do a 'test run' with a 50% filled tank but I wanted to get other opinions first...

Most of my aquatic stuff is still stuffed into two big boxes (the only ones that are left) and I am sooo eager to get started again. I am assuming that my friends back at the fish store are eager to get rid off my aquatic friends as well.

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2008 06:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Back from a brief vacation in the mountains..

I've never done "prophylactic resealing" to a used tank.
In looking at tanks that had been "over sealed" or
"prophylactic resealing", I have never seen a job that
looked decent. In virtually every case, the silicone was
extended, sometimes way over extended, past the initial
sealing at the factory and the job looked terrible and
greatly detracted from the appearance of the tank.

For me, it does not matter if it is a new tank or a
used tank, virtually every tank gets filled to the rim
with water and sits there for a week before I drain it
and place it in its new home. This has saved me from
some really wet problems!

Frank

PS Gals, The temperatures were in the 30s and 40s
over night and in the 60s and 70s during the day!
Truly wonderful, relaxing, weather! We kept the windows
open 24/7.

Post InfoPosted 24-Jun-2008 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
EditedEdited by catdancer
Hi Frank:

As always, thanks for the input! I will go ahead and start filling the tank. Unfortunately, I will have to do without a test.
Last weekend I visited two stores to locate a good LFS and what a disappointment ... 500+ tanks in one store if you count the tiniest betta container, bare tanks with plenty of sick fish (a 'nice' variety of fish ailments was on display ranging from ich to neon disease). Plants were kept in a large tank filled with algae and what not but labeled "high quality". The second store was not better, oscars with their fins clamped, fight wounds, huge peacocks with them, 20 inch plecos (one of them desperately gasping for air), several pacus. Mercifully, I forgot the rest of the sad menagerie that was stuffed into this tank. In sharp contrast to quality and condition of the poor animals were the prices ... Also, only the very basic assortment of tropical fish.

Unless I find a much better store, I will have to order everything online. On a positive note, one of the guys there was knowledgeable and informed about the meeting schedule of the best local aquatic club. Maybe ...

Claudia

P.S. Since my return I enjoyed several days of 'body temperature' accompanied with lots of humidity. The right weather for me - I did not even turn on the A/C (thanks to neighbors who overdid it keeping me comfortable). Dear Frank, welcome back from Antarctica
Post InfoPosted 24-Jun-2008 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi Claudia,
My Gosh, What a depressing trip that must have been!
I sincerely hope that there are some truly good LFS in
your area to make up for the two "stinkers" you mentioned.

Yup, I'm back in the Equatorial Zone today with highs in
the mid to upper 90s!

Frank

Post InfoPosted 24-Jun-2008 16:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Any progress Claudia

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 15:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hooray!

I almost suspected this site dead with a lot of the regulars not posting anymore. Glad to hear from you Robyn and I am happy to tell that my plants will arrive tomorrow evening. I ordered from aquariumplants.com. So yes, expect some (desastrous) pictures this weekend! Can't wait to get the wet hobby going again but it will be tough here - last Saturday I visited another highly recommended store (online reviews) and again, a huge disappointment. Ridiculously high prices, no selection and fish not in great condition. thanksfully there is the Internet. If I am unable to retrieve Ramses and company from my favorite fish store I will order discus online.

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
UPDATE: I planted the new plants, added the driftwood and petrified wood for 'hardware' and filled the tank. So far so good, holding water. However, two of the four 6,700 compact lights of my Coralife light fixture are dead (probably not so surprising for a long distance move) and I am in desperate need of a replacement as some of the new plants are high-light-fans. To make this little enterprise all the more enjoyable, the Eheim filter refused to start and I had to do a manual job.
No pictures for now as the water is totally turbid (Eco-Complete for substrate), the current needs adjustment, lights as well and two pieces of the driftwood are weight down by pieces of slate. Nothing to post in the planted aquaria sectino of enjoyment.
On the brght side, the water here is very soft and I will not need Ro water for a 'mixer' to accommodate discus and other soft water fish I am so fond of.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Well, at least you are started now & I'm sure you'll have your lights sorted out soon. Look forward to the pictures.

Shame your LFS are proving less than satisfactory, but you are lucky that you can get quality discus on line. Not so easy here. Still thinking of calling for Ramses & your originals???

Look forward to seeing your pictures son.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 11:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi Claudia,
It's good that the move is over and you are ready to go!
Are the bulbs themselves bad or is it the canopy
that houses them that has gone bad? Plug them in
and see which work and which don't, then replace the
working bulbs with those that aren't coming on.
If they work, then the canopy is the problem, if they
don't work then they need to be replaced.

Frequently rough handling will break the filaments in
the bulbs, and just as frequently, it can cause wires
to come loose in the canopy. The first is an easy,
though expensive repair. The second could be easy
to check connections for tightness and integrity,
or, even more expensive if the housing needs to
be replaced.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 17:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Frank -

tha's what I am afraid of .. I will check the bulbs tonight when I get home. I wanted to order new ones right away but I am reluctant to do so as I might need repair of the fixture instead.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, even if it confirms my worst fears.

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 17:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
BTW, it was in the tripple digits yesterday and
today... Miserable, but I guess you two would love it..

Frank

Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2008 18:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Help!

I am thoroughly PO - tried to test the CF light bulbs to discover that it is almst impossible to remove these darn things without damage from their sockets. The problem is the 4 pins that feel like glued to it! During the first attempt, the white cap at the end of the bulb came off and some corroded material came out! The second went better but not without damage.

Now I have to order new bulbs in the hope that it is the bulbs and not the fixture that is damaged. Is there a way to change these bulbs easier and without the danger of damaging the bulb?

FRAAANK?
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2008 14:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Wow!
If this "stuff" does not apply skip it and use what does.

I've never had any of my CF bulbs act as yours have.
Mine have 4 "box" pattern pins and when I lift the end
of the glass bulb the socket hinges swing open and the
bulb lifts right out of the socket. The reverse happens
when inserting new bulbs, Simply set the pins into the
holes and push the bulb back down so it is horizontal and
"clicks" into place. I'm more worried about the metal
clamps that hold the far end of the bulbs in place.
Each time I replace the bulbs I have to hold the clamps
open as I'm afraid if I snap them into the clamps they
are so substantial that I think they would shatter the
glass!

If yours are sticking as it sounds like they are, it
it sounds as if you have moisture directly from the tank
getting into them where it evaporates and calcium carbonate
is building up over time. There should be a piece of glass
or plastic that "seals" the light side of the canopy from
the tank. That prevents moisture (splash-back) from getting
into the assembly, and also prevents any condensation from
getting into the canopy when the lights are turned off
and cooling.

It also sounds like they may be running hot. Heat and age
are the main reasons for the plastic and/or sealant in
the bases to be cracking. By "Hot" it sounds like
there is no fan on the canopy, or that the fan is
running slow due to dirt/dust build up, or the intake filter for the fan is clogged. I've replaced my fan
once in 15 years. I purchased an "industrial" one
with quality roller bearings. and I used an old piece
of panty hose, the panty part as the replacement filter.

The cause(s) along with the above, also be one of age.
Remember, for us (fish keepers & aquatic Gardener's) the
bulbs should be changed annually, and not wait till they
cease to come on or start flickering to change them out.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2008 16:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 22-Jul-2008 16:44
This post has been deleted
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi Frank,

thanks for your post. I was initially also concerned that water might be the culprit but everything inside the fixture looked very tidy, no sign of any water built up and the Chicago region where the tank was set up has some pretty hard water. I received the new bulbs two days ago and putting them in was very easy (my fixture has straight pins). I did not squeeze the caps way back onto the pins, just till I heard it snap. I suspect that the peson in the factory who assembled this unit overdid it and combined with the considerable heat that develops, some melting had taken place. The fixture has a nicely working fan and I check regularly for excessive heat.

Now, onto the real disaster that took place: I planted the new plants, turned on the lights, and pang, almost no light. So far not so good but it turned far worse within 36 hours when all the stem plants started melting, followed by the crypts and eventually almost everything else. Dead plant tissue everywhere. I've never seen anythuiing like this before.
Now, with the new lights and a 30% water change yesterday and a very small one today to remove rotting plant parts, things are starting to turn around and I can see some tiny, bright green leaves poking through the substrate. Still a mess. I tried to determine hardness and got no reading at all so I went to the store that is recommended for having a small aquatic section and good cat food ...

This place looks like the light that you see at the end of the tunnel. They have nicely maintained tanks with a small selection of fish that changes every week, plenty of equipment, two tanks with aquatic plants AND knowledgeable, friendly staff. I left with a new gravel vac, a list of other vondors in the area (!), an invitation and info to join the local aquatic society of which they are members and the information that the water is as soft as it can get - a discus keepers dream, except for the pH. A strapping 9.0 reading straight out of the tap! Reason being that quite a few of the lovely old brownstones in my new/old hometown are still equipped with pipes containing lead.

The guys think that the bacteria in the Eco-Complete got some unwanted company during the prolonged period in the plastic bags. I consider it likely that this caused the melt down. They suggest to do regular, almost daily small water changes (small because of the pH that breaks down rapidly but large water changes present a problem and are dangerous). Any ideas, also with respect to the discus that I want to keep? I can not"bubble" or "ripen" the water as they suggested in huge containers prior to doing water changes - alternatively the use of 'discus buffer' to lower the pH was recommended as it will crash naturally from 9.0 within short period of time to 6.0.

Any suggestions welcome

Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2008 04:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Sounds like you have had a few dramas, but you seem to be getting on top them now. Glad you've finally found a LFS you like.

You're asking for suggestions about discus. So, have you decided not have Ramses & company shipped to you?

Well, if I lived in the US & was able to access wild discus at reasonable prices - that's what I'd be going for. Now I know you won't want to include the infamous Heckel - but I have seen such beautiful pictures of other types of wilds on the net. Besides that, I love my domestics, eg albino, alenquer, rose red, blue diamond & turks. Have I left anything out?

9pH out of the tap. Gee, I thought mine was high at around high 7's or 8. I use C02 to control my pH, so I can't say what buffers work best. Seachem is such a good brand, that I'm sure their Discus Buffer would be fine???

When you have pictures to share, I'd love to see them.

Cheers, Robyn

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2008 06:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Claudia ...Hi ...Sounds like you've had a hell of a time during and after your move . Sorry I've been absent ..Computer trouble .
I don't like using buffers for PH issues , I'd test how much difference a standard water change makes to your whole tanks PH. I've found over time that higher PH new water doesn't change the PH of the whole tank very much but I don't have 9.0 Ph .
You could use Seachems Acid Buffer on your new water , but in my experience you'll go nuts trying to get it right.

Hope you sort it out and get the tank settled soon ..love to see some photos of course .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 14:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Gary!!!

I am so pleased to see you back in action - I hope that the computer trouble is sorted out and over. I am having trouble here as well but it is all work-related ... stress and very little time to post. Now that you are back I will have to get up to speed again:

I have added fish - a dozen tiny neon tetras. They were the only fish in purchase condition and fitting for a South American discus-themed tank (plus I wanted a change from the rummies). Now that I have ultra soft water coming out of the tap I want to keep some of the small fish that I did not want to subject to medium hard water.
Regarding your suggestion wih buffer: for bigger changes I will have to add buffer as the change in pH will be too much but I have a project: titration to mnimize the amount of it.

BTW, I think you tried R. wallichii with little success in the long run, right? I gave up on it as it looked awful within short time and I had read that this plant needs soft water. I had to give it a try and guess what? It is absolutely beautiful with bright red tops in the new set up. See here and the pic does not do it justice:

I got a dwarf lily on the way back from NYC and it forgot about dwarfism:

Didiplis diandra is also doing well

Here is a plant that I had to try as well - suppossedly it stays small, it is called 'Hygro Kompact', please pardon the quality of the shot

Some of the neons, well fed and always fighting. I am quite surprised about this behavior as they hardly school at all. I had to wait to get this shot

Now here is a project for a dedicated aquascaper: no layout at all. After the initial bacteria-mediated melt down, I was too scared to change much and allowed plants to settle in. Suggestions? I mean it - no discus yet and the plants are fairly established by now:

Waiting for (constructive) criticism but you can bang me over the head as well

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2008 05:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
EditedEdited by countryfish
Claudia... Before any criticisms of the 'Scape' perhaps you best fill us in on your plan ...you do have a plan? or at least a preferred look that you want ... Do you want a River ..an Island ...A Beach etc ...Maybe then we can help.
On the R. wallichii front it went really well for me in the 60g for about 3 to 4 months then just died off and looked crap. One thing you have to do I think is cut the tops of and replant those and dispose of the bottoms ...PIA I know ...but it may be the only way to have it stay looking nice.

Neons ...don't get me started ..I have about 20 odd in the 60g and you are lucky to see 6 at a time ...they never school like Rummies do ...haven't seen them fight though ..probably do it out of sight . I heard that if you have a lightly planted tank and Discus they will school for protection from the big fish ...but I did not work for me with Angels .

Look forward to seeing your ideas for your scape .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2008 02:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I like your hygro compact. Interested to see it's progress.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have mostly read that cardinals are better in a discus tank than neons are. Be warned though, apparently some discus like to hunt them by night, while they are small. I'm growing my cardinals up in the 72G, before I add them to the discus tank, after having read someone say "discus like to hunt cardinals by night & then pretend they know nothing about it by day".

Look forward to seeing more pictures. I guess by now, you have decided not to fly your fishy friends to your new home.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2008 14:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Clauda ...just let us know you are there . We are watching !!!!

Garry
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2008 14:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
I know it's been a long, long time. Finally an update and some more fish!Robyn was corrct to assume that Idecided against flying the discus and companions to my new home. Too much of a hazzle and it took a very long time until the tank was finally ready for more fish. Last weekend I finally got something 'bigger' into the talk:

this is what the tank looks like right now as everybody can see, I did not turn into a dedicated aquascaper yet. At least, no algae problems, no meltdown anymore. I had a huge and pretty sword that decided to develop flowers (approximately 30 cm out of the water), but when I cut them off, the plant was not exactly grateful and developed nasty holes in the leaves. It looked almost like a Madagaskar Lace plant. If anyone knows what type of deficiency could have caused this, please let me know!

Out it went and in camethe new inhabitants. Garry, they are for you!
Power in numbers! They are only quarter-sized and afraid of the neons ...
and another close up

Theseare wild caught P. Leopoldi and supposedly more aggressive than the mild mannered, tank raised P. scalare. So far, I haven't noticed any of this. Quite to te contrary, they shy away from almost everything, a little bit of a discus-like behavior.

Reddish plants are doing fine, see M. tuberculatum and I did a big trimming two days ago

Next week, I will add dwarf cichlids, they have very nice Bolivian Rams in the store I bought the Leopoldis. Unfortunately, the store is a good 40 minute-drive away from home and shipments of fish take there time to arrive. That's it for now!
Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2008 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
welcome back claudia

Looking nice & the angels look very happy.

So, I guess there are to be no more round fish for you?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2008 03:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi Robyn,

so good to hear from you! I am taking a short break from round fish, nothing more. I decided on this because I will move within the next 6 months or so again and do not want to move juvenile discus at this point. The time frame that was required to get this tank up and running again got me thinking and I know that my job will not leave me with enough time to take the next move at a leisurely pace. Plus, I want to upgrade to a larger tank for the round fish, 150G is what I have in mind.

The wild, little Leopoldis are cute but they are by no means boisterous as the shop owner told me. More like discus - hiding.

I have to check your tanks ...

Claudia
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2008 04:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Changing cities again, or just moving somewhere more permanent?

Moving tanks is such a pain. 2 weekends ago, I moved contents of the 4ft tank (African cichlids) into the 3ft (the divided one, ex honeymoon suite). Plants from the divided 3ft went into the 4ft & some into the 7ft. Took me all weekend to clean out & swap everying over, & I wasn't even moving house, so I don't envy you your upcoming task.

I wondered about the round fish thing, as lots of people say that you shouldn't mix angels & round fish.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Hope you enjoy your time with Angels, but hope you do come back to round fish. It's been nice to share my love for them with someone who understands the passion.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Oct-2008 13:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidaddicted
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
Wow, i can't believe you've found leopoldi's Ive been looking for them everywhere, even online, but i cant find a single place that stocks them.

But anyway, they all look amazing And I love how they all shoal together in a tight pack.
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2008 12:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi,

I don't know where you are located but if you are US and really want these fish, Isuggest that you contact the store I got mine from. They ship within the US!

The link is htpp://www.unclenedsfishfactory.com

Mine were reasonably priced (considering that the Northeast is expensive).

Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2008 19:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi Cat,
You might want to double check your typing.
The link takes you to an "Unknown Site."

Frank

Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2008 22:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Hi Frank:

This is what I copied, please type it in if it is not working

http://unclenedsfishfactory.com/

The site comes up, guaranteed
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2008 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi Cat,
This time it worked. I dunno...
Frank

Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2008 08:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies