SubscribeResle's 55 Gallon Log
resle
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 112
Votes: 14
male usa
EditedEdited by resle
ok......... moving on. i probably have the s@#tiest camera there is (this is the best picture of all of them but atleast it kind of shows how the light looks as you can see the light is actually quite spread out

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8342/pdr16746ib.jpg
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 05:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
come on for real, wats with the lack of posts from u guys is it some sort of boycott?
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 17:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
u know wat fine! i dont need ur help ill do things on my own!!!
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 22:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
oh srry i didnt see those two posts i agree i think i will go with discus only though my focus is on plants right now
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2006 05:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
final plant update (hopefully)
wat i plan to order

hygrophila corymbosa "siamensis"
eleocharis acicularis (dawf hairgrass)
alternanthera reineckii "roseafolia"
hygrophila difformis (wisteria)
rotala nanjenshen
heteranthera zosterfolia (stargrass)
cryptocoryne wendtii
glossostigma?

wat i will buy at a store
echindorus amazonicus (amazon sword)
vesiculara dubyana (java moss)

ive heard glossostigma is really hard to get right especially with light lowere then 3wpg do u know anything that looks similar, stays low and doesnt take extra extra special care?
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2006 19:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
just to clarify i am looking for opinions on whether or not i should order in case there might be some problems

thank you
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2006 23:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
ok,i can understand y little fish isnt posting in this thread anymore (which i appologize for coming off a little rude) but how did i manage to offend everybody so that i am the only one responding? if u wont do it for me atlest do it for the fishies
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2006 22:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
EditedEdited by NowherMan6
final plant update (hopefully)
wat i plan to order

hygrophila corymbosa "siamensis"
eleocharis acicularis (dawf hairgrass)
alternanthera reineckii "roseafolia"
hygrophila difformis (wisteria)
rotala nanjenshen
heteranthera zosterfolia (stargrass)
cryptocoryne wendtii
glossostigma?

wat i will buy at a store
echindorus amazonicus (amazon sword)
vesiculara dubyana (java moss)

Some of the plants listed above are much more challanging than others. The rotala nanjenshen and alternanthera will require certain lighting and fert. conditions that you may not have considered in order to keep looking their best. Hairgrass can be a royal pain to plant. Amazon swords can grow huge, outgrowing a 55 gallon tank quickly and easily.

Also, have you considered an aquascape yet? How are you going to arrange these plants and how much of each kind you will order? Have you set up a hardscape with wood or rocks or gravel formations?

And where do you stand with livestock? Have you gotten the fish you listed on page 1 yet?

If you want to maximize your chance for success the things listed above must be considered before anything is bought or planted.

put a thermometer in the hood and left it there for an hour, it read 101F. to high?

It doesn't matter what the temp inside the hood is, what is the water temp?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2006 23:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
As LF said before, someone on here had a tank set up with the bulb style that you are thinking about but had to use a lot of them to make it work. You also would need a lot of space and be really good putting it all together. I would think that you would need to get fancy with how you wire it up too.

Spending the cash on the other option is nicer because you don't have to mess with it. Other than pluging it in and it takes up way less space.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2006 23:18Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Some of the plants listed above are much more challanging than others. The rotala nanjenshen and alternanthera will require certain lighting and fert. conditions that you may not have considered in order to keep looking their best. Hairgrass can be a royal pain to plant. Amazon swords can grow huge, outgrowing a 55 gallon tank quickly and easily.

Also, have you considered an aquascape yet? How are you going to arrange these plants and how much of each kind you will order? Have you set up a hardscape with wood or rocks or gravel formations?

And where do you stand with livestock? Have you gotten the fish you listed on page 1 yet?

Wingsdlc Wrote:
As LF said before, someone on here had a tank set up with the bulb style that you are thinking about but had to use a lot of them to make it work. You also would need a lot of space and be really good putting it all together. I would think that you would need to get fancy with how you wire it up too.

Spending the cash on the other option is nicer because you don't have to mess with it. Other than pluging it in and it takes up way less space.

i dropped the amazon sword but i still want the hair grass, what kind of light and ferts do the nanjenshen and alternanthera require? i am willing do extra work for them as they are my favorites of the bunch

i have designed an aquascape and hardscape but im not exactly sure how much of each to order

so far the only fish that i have currently and are definatly in the plans are
2 turquoise rainbow
3 bosemanni rainbow

i have already set up the new lights and they are working fine ( my dad is an electrical engineer so the wiring i trust is pretty decent). it actually looks alot better then you might think, not like spot lights at all in fact i cant tell a difference between the tubular fluorescent and the compacts besides the brightness i post some pics when i can get a hold of a camera
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2006 22:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
what kind of light and ferts do the nanjenshen and alternanthera require? i am willing do extra work for them as they are my favorites of the bunch

I do not have personal experience with either, but from research a constant supply of CO2 is one thing, and the best way to get it up to the required levels in a 55gallon and keep it steady would be to use pressurized CO2. Then lots of light... make that, lot's of bright, unshaded light. Then since they're red plants i would imagine they'd need a decent fert. dosing schedule, including enough iron to keep them nice and red.

They're definetely nice plants, worth a try but they do have special needs.

have designed an aquascape and hardscape but im not exactly sure how much of each to order

Start out with a lot. get more than you think you need. it'll help out in starting the new tank up.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2006 22:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
i guess ill hold off on the nanjenshen alteranthera until i get some more experience. what makes planting dwarf hair grass so hard?
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2006 21:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by resle
got any advice on glossostigma anyone? i heard it can be tough to grow

also im reallly interested in diying a new filter as my current one doesnt quite cut it. what would u suggest, a fluidized bed filter maybe?
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 16:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
come on guys please, im trying to get my plants ordered but i dont want to buy them until i know the situation with the glosso
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2006 02:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
resle

Glosso works in two forms, either not at all or it grows rampant.

As you know, I am unable to evaluate your light situation, with regards to intensity. Glosso needs pretty high light to grow, and good nutrients as well. If your light is capabale of growing it then you will have to watch out that it doesn't spread everywhere and starts to suffocate all other plants. That's what happened in my tank. In addition, if not maintained properly (trimmed at least bi-weekly once it reached a stage where it has become a dense matt) it will suffocate itself. Mine was in the end 5 layers of Glosso on top of each other.

So, if you think your light is good enough, and you are willing for a little experiment, go buy some

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2006 17:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
well i think my light is bright enough but wat do i know i guess ill buy 1 plant and see what happens. here are the plants im going to order at aquatic plant depot

3 hygrophila corymbosa "siamensis"
4 hygrophila difformis (wisteria)
5 cryptocoryne wendtii
1 glossostigma

is this http://aquaticplantdepot.stores.yahoo.net/gianhyghygco.html the same as hygrophila corymbosa "siamensis"?

plants i already have:
java fern
java moss
alteranthera reineckii
unknown plant

plants i still need:
heteranthera zosterifola (stargrass)
dwarf hairgrass
rotala nanjenshen
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2006 19:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies