SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 553
Votes: 4
male uk
EditedEdited by shekoi
Update 30/3/06

algae still going mad - going to get some excel will this help?

brought 2 male neon dwarfs, just been added to the main tank - been in a total of 10 minutes and they are already chasing the females who are twice their size. the colours have really come out, can just being added to mature females do this?

still can't get hold of anymore ottos? how many in total can i have? the more i fit in the better the algae should be managed? might even add some shrimp?

stock at moment
1 angel
3 ottos
6 neon rainbows
6 glowlights
5 cories
12 H. Rasbora

also brought some small grases today (max 2.5 inches tall) - look like dwarf sag but can't be sure, brought three bunches, got about 23 smalls plants out of it, so now the front of tank is nice and full.

i'll post pictures soon as, camera still out on loan, project work or something!

vals still growing like mad, must be growing 1-2 inches a day?

Karl.

ps - the dwarf hair grasses i order that were delievered at about 8 inches long have gone brown and dying off - most not have liked being cut down.

www.blooming-brilliant.co.uk
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 14:19Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Hi shekoi,

without pics it's ahrd to tell, but instinct tells me that with that amount of light without CO2 is the problem...

also, are you doing any fert dosing besides the regular fert mix? I.E. are you adding any Excel, nitrate etc?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 15:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
adding nothing but the fert mix, i've started a diy co2 reactor to get some co2 into the tank, i've also ordered some excel, which i'll use along side the diy kit for now!

should this help?

i'll post pics as soon as i can.

cheers shekoi

Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 16:36Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
The Excel will help with plant growth, not necessarily the algae. To start getting rid of it, remove affected leaves and wipe it off any hard object you can.

As for ferts, a dosing regimen should be taken up, but maybe scaled back to reflect the lack of C. 1/4 teaspoon KNO3 3 times per week sound sreasonable to me, unless those with more EI experience think otherwise.

As for your spot algae, dosing P should take care of that. maybe 1-2 mls per week?

It's hard to say without the constant supply of CO2

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2006 17:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
diy co2 working a treat, the plants are bubbling away like mad.

i've added 5 more ottos, taking stock up to 8, they look slightly different from the first three i had. could be due to just being transfered, and not eaten well in LFS

i've also added some excel to both my tanks, and even the java ferns in my 40G are bubbling away under 1.5wpg?

a new LFS near me had a large bunch of java moss for sale so i've added some to both tanks - it finishes the bogwood of really well.

i've cut away most of the affected leaves, tank looks much cleaner, hope algae doesn't come back now adding some co2 and the new ottos.

Cheers Karl.

Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2006 23:05Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
EditedEdited by shekoi
Added a second Diy co2 bottle today, the addition of co2 and excel has caused massive growth lately. algae is still around, can't tell if getting any new out breaks.

This is the tank today.

this is how it was in early Feb

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 13:56Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Nice Karl

It's getting pretty full by now .

About that one fine leaved plant that you have in 3 positions in the back there - What did you say it is? I would think either Ambulia or Cabomba, right? What happened to the large Java Fern on the left?

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 14:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
i can't remember off hand what it is, it grows like mad, the middle one is the one i brought the rest are cuttings.

if you have a look in the photo booth i've just posted picture of my new look 40G it will answer your question about the java fern.

cheers Karl

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 14:26Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
i've just moved the bristlenose from my 40g into the 70g.

hopefully he will eat all the alage i have and not damage the plants.

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 16:40Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Karl,

Yeah, now I know what you did with the fern. Were all these ferns in the 40 derived of that one in this tank?

About the BN, yeah, he may eat some algae, but he also will poop a lot . More work for you to keep the tank clean

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 17:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
i don't mind doing the cleaning more - have to do it in 40G so makes no different, just want the algae gone.

will the bristlenose affect the ottos?

most of the ferns are from the same plant, i broke it up and reattached it in the 40G, i also got a bit out of my 20G. i'm hoping it spreads out and fills the tank with java fern.

would adding co2 to a low light tank help much? the 40G is only 1.5wpg, java fern looks ok, just wondering if co2 would help it grow more,

at the moment i'm adding excel!

shekoi

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 17:40Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I believe your BN will be just fine with the Otos. If I remember that right then tetratech had an albino BN in his tank with the Otos, no issues were ever reported. Well, except for the digging of the BN and the produced waste.

About adding CO2: That is never for nothing, well ok, if you have no light then it would be for nothing. The question here is if going with a DIY, or even a pressurized system, is worth the trouble. You may see some small improvement, but you also introduce the inconsistency of DIY or the cost of pressurized. Neither nor would, IMHO, create a major change in growth. Excel every other day (or even 3 days apart) seems to be the easiest solution to me.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2006 19:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
cheers LF

i'll just continue adding excel then.

i've now connected my co2 outlet into the back off an odd internal filter and fitted it into the tank

the co2 dissolves better and then is puched around the tank

i've read that some water movement is better for the plants, it aids uptake co2 and nutients and stops any dead spots in the tank.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/blog.php?blogid=17

haven't seen any massive difference yet, but i did only fitted it Tuesday.

i've ordered 20 amano shrimp, should be here a week on Friday.
Think 20 is over kill?

should i remove my cories? might be hard to feed them, when i had shrimp before they always pinched the pellets.

i'll take out the bristlenose before adding the shrimp, he's only in to try remove some of the algae that has built up.

cheers Karl

Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 09:43Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
EditedEdited by shekoi
Up date 8/5/2006

since i was last on i have added a siamese alage eater to the stock, he loves the algae, the diy co2 is working great, i'm still adding excel - algae problem is nothing towards what it was.

i've removed two clumps of what i think is Cabomba caroliniana, i've also added some new plants, including a large sword.

as i think alot of my problems with algae have been the amount of fish, i'm getting a 4ft tank to replace my 40g and i'll swap over some fish from the 72G, the bristlenose, and glowlights for now.

Karl

Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 19:08Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Karl,

It looks very nice, all plants seem to be doing well.

as i think alot of my problems with algae have been the amount of fish
Yeah, tell me all about it. That is pretty much what we have identified in my 125G as a reason for algae (besides a few others, maybe). I guess 100 ++ fish are maybe too much .

The one thing I think you could change is the bvack part on the left side. It looks like some taller plants are nissing there, maybe something to balance out the right side (or maybe that is just me).

Overall, you did a better job than I did. It seems like in no time you got that tank up and running and looking natural.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 20:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
male uk
know about the left hand side, there is three differnt types of tall plants along with the grasses and wisteria there, just need time to let them grow.

there is two cryto balance (spelling?) plus two stem plants like in the middle and 2 plants which i'm not to sure about names, i reomved plants to allow more light in that area to help them grow.

cheers for the comments LF

Karl

Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 14:04Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies