ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
EditedEdited by ImRandy85
I've got lots of various shrimp questions. I've got a few amano shrimp in my 38 gallon planted tank. I'm just wondering how many most people keep in their aquariums. Are ghost shrimp beneficial at all to planted tanks. Can cherry shrimp be kept with amano shrimp? How many cherry shrimp could I keep?

Oh and my water is very hard and alkaline, pH 8.4
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 12:33Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
If you have not already, you might want to check out
this site:

http://www.petshrimp.com/

I have found it, and its links, very informative.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 17:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Shrimp are wonderous little creatures that clean off algae off of plants, helping them get more light. They also eat the detritus that is going to rot, so it dosent cause too big of a problem with the fish. They are very entertaining to watch too! They dont harm fish, Xcept for the non free swimming fry. In fact, it is highly reccomended to keep them with plants, as it will provide shelter, and a nice food source. Also, if you get like 5, chances are youll have many more baby shrimps along the way, and having plants like javamoss will protect them. You dont necessarily need javamoss, and theres lots of substitues if you dislike the look of it. Use small leaved plants, with a lot of leaves. Some of these are groundcover plants like Riccia, and Dwarf Hairgrass. Others are ferns, like Java Fern and Bolbitis. Just be sure to include some plants, as this will lower the chance of being eaten too!

Ghost shrimp are like amano shrimp, except for the fact that they dont eat as much algae, if any. They do however eat decomposing food and are relatively easy to keep, just be sure that there are no fish that will eat them, or harras them. They arent as good as amanos, but i really like them, and theyre cheaper too!

You can keep cherrys with amanos. Im pretty sure.... You can keep ALOT of shrimp in a 38 gallon. You probably could buy however much you wanted before you reached maxx capacity. If you have ideal conditions, they can have dozens of generations for you!

Hope this helps. The site above mentioned is really good, and it probably answered almost all of you questions. Good luck and have fun!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 03:27Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies