Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSplitting Anubias Rhizomes
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
at about what height could i safely split my anubias rhizome? the plant is about 4x4x6 inches
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:09Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Seeing that I requested you to post that question in its correct form I will attempt to answer it for you but before I even attempt I will require a lot more information please.
Am I correct in assuming you are measuring LxWxH?

What variety is it they range from huge leafed tall plants like the A barteri to mini leafed plants A nana petite?

If you do not know the variety post a photo of it so that the size of the plant and leaf can been seen.

How is it growing is it on DW or rock?

I had some Anubias over 2ft in length before I cut them up. It is not so much about the area with some varieties like mine in the 5ft tank. In the 45lt tank it is area it covers and how it is grown.
To get plants like mine you must start of with a quality plant and be prepared to work with it by giving it plenty of TLC.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
yes its LxWxH.the pant is very healthy and in my oppinion is flourishing, however recently it has a few minniscule spots of brown algae on the leaves.the plant has big broad leaves, and is on DW, the roots are now growing into the DW and it looks quite nice IMO.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
let it grow for a bit longer. i would say let it reach a foot before you cut it. when it comes time take a sharp razor blade and slice the rhizome in half and reattach to whatever it is you want them attached to. the plant will probably stop or slow its growing for some time and recover after a week or two. then will resume growth.

any other questions will gladly be answered.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok thankyou, what is the best way to eliminate brown algae on the anubias leaves, ive wiped it off but it comes back each day.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 05:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
OK so the plant is young some varieties also slow growers it depends on the variety by that I mean a healthy variety specimen from the parent plant.

Yes it is way to small to even think about cutting it up, as I explained previously mine was 2ft before I started cutting them up. They were also very old plants close to 15+yld.

Now for the algae. The possible causes could be.
High silicate levels in your tap water.
Insufficient or not the correct lighting.
Get this done and there are many plant products available to remedy it.
As for lighting I only buy top brand quality plant and daylight fluro tubes and replace them every two years by that time they have served their purpose and are worn out even though they still give off light.

I would strongly suggest you do a FULL water parameters from your water supply and the tank water.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 11:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok thanks keith.wow 15yrsthats a long time,bet that plant has seen some fish come and go.will check all my params then post.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 20:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I wouldn't measure by height, as Anubias types vary in height. I'd measure by the length of the rhizome, because this is the part that you have to split. If I'm not mistaken, you should have leaves growing from each section that you plan on cutting, so as to not leave any rhizome without any leaves.

I've yet to split any of my Anubias; I've been growing mine at least a year so far. Although they live and seem to be doing rather well, they have been growing incredibly slowly. I expect the difference between Keith and I is a combination of amount of light, amount of fertilizer, and also that he's had a lot more time with his Anubias.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 01:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
yes, i wasnt planning on splitting just wondering on when i safely could. who knows i may never split,i think it would be a nice center peice for years to come to have a large plant, or perhaps in the future i will split to have many smaller plants.jw

thanks for replies
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 03:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies