AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Starting A Nano After Xmas Info Neede...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStarting A Nano After Xmas Info Neede...
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Hi all!

I saw in the LFS a 2.5 & a 5 gallon tank, and i thought, "Nano." Since then, i have been planning this step by step. I have decided to go with a betta forthe 5 & shrimp for the 2.5. I was looking at an 11 watt Screw in flouescent blulb. I am going to have a basic 10gallon rated tetra HOB, and no Co2, xcept for Excel. I want glasd lid, but dunno if they havve it for the 5. I plan to have glosso, 4 leaf clover, micro sword, Maybe crypt, some anubis nana and some riccia if available! I will put this really cool rock i got, and some DW. I cant wait. The ferts will be Flourish, Flourite/Eco Complete, NPK Flourish, Excel, Iron. Diy co2 maybe or a store bought unit. All in all, i hope all goes well....

Advice from gurus and loggers is greatly appreciated!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 08:48Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
With an 11watt bulb you won't be able to grow the glosso, microsword or riccia. Stick with a chain sword or mosses for foreground plants. If your using an 11watt bulb on the 5g stick with just mosses.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 16:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
How bout if i were to try another size bulb, lets say around like 15-18 watts? I heard that the WPG rule fails badly with the nanos, and i would like to know what kind of light and what wattage it is at. I am going to have daylight bulbs of course, and i definately want to make sure it is enough. Will the high wattage "burn" the plants? As i said earlier, i will have some source of Co2, whether it be Excel or A store bought or DIY co2 generator. I could have a 25 watt bulb, but I really think it is not too good for the plants, and inhabitants!

I am going to over filter the tank a little bit, and i am going to use this power filter, as it is not too strong, and i like the convienience of the filter bags, which i will be replacing with sponge. Also it dosent have a lot of splash, so co2 is going to be kept in. Anybody have any suggestions?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 23:23Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi GobyFan

I started a nano "desktop" planted tank with a betta not too long ago and I'm having so much fun with it

My tank is a 3.5 gal tank with an [link=Elite HOB filter]http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107&PROD_ID=01000500021101 [/link] (rated for 5 gal) and a 13 watt clip-on compact flouro light (giving 3.7wpg). The substrate is just ordinary small grain gravel.

I have been dosing only Dino Pee for ferts but will be starting to dose with excel as well next week (now that I have found a local stockist). So far I have not noticed any problems with the plants that would indicate a deficiency of any nutrient, but it is still a young tank and has a bit more settling in to do yet; I'll add additional ferts as I think they are required. I did consider CO2 addition for this tank and looked at DIY, commercial fermenter systems and pressurized. In the end I decided that the DIY was too messy and smelly to be on my desk at work; the commercial systems were a bit too pricey for what IMO tend to be glorified DIY systems; and the initial outlay for pressurised was just not justifiable for a single tiny tank IMO.

I've never had a tank that could be considered high light before so I'm trying all sorts of plants that I couldn't possibly grow in my larger but much lower-light tanks. So far I have gone through a variety of plants as I try to work out what grows best and looks nicest. Some of the plants I have tried for brief periods (the tank has only been going for 3 months after all) include ludwigia, bacopa, moneywort, watersprite, dwarf hairgrass, wisteria, rotala, crypt wendtii and anubias nana. I'm pleased to report that almost everything I have plonked in there has grown fast and well (I'm espescially pleased with progress of the Rotala wallichii which really suprised me as I believe some other members have been having considerable problems growing this recently); it's just been the constantly evolving picture in my head of what I want from the end scape that has resulted in the rotation of so many varieties of plants through the tank.

What I have learnt as far as the scaping of this tank goes is that you need to scale down the size and number of plant species considerably (I know this is a fairly basic concept with small tanks - but I'm a doer... I just had to do it and learn it for myself before i truly believed lol.)What this means is try to limit the plants to only 2 or 3 species and choose the plants carefully; you want ones that are either low-growing or small leaved (or both) or they will make the tank look even smaller than it is.

Anyway... enough rambling about my nano. Try a few things with yours, see what works for you and most importantly have fun with it.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 13:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
male usa
Thanks Gone_Troopo!

I have not seen one of those elite filters anywhere here in my area. I will just use the planned filter anyway....

Besides the filter, i have no clue as to what plants would look good that is for sale in my area.....I have 4-leaf clovers, Glosso-I think, Moneywort, Dwarf Hairgrass, micro or chain swords, and some stem plants, like wisteria, cabomba, and anacharis. I saw simething like Nesea sp. I might get it, and some water sprite, rotala wallachi, and I MAYBE might order in a few mats of Riccia fluitans.....Maybe.....

I will have an 18 watt spiral compact daylight. Flourite or Ecocomplete or small gravel mixed with laterite or pure laterite or pure small grained gravel, or pure pea gravel.... I will use Excel, Flourish, And Iron. Maybe Trace....

Thanks!

PS: What is Dino Pee, G_T?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 00:37Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Dino Pee

It's not a complete fertiliser and as I mentioned in my earlier post I may need to add additional ferts as my tank matures, but for now I'm happy with the results I'm getting.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 07:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies