Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeThe importance of water testing
coffeeman
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 21
usa
So my tank has generally had been doing pretty well. My plants were healthy, my fertilizer mix seemed to be right. My nitrates and phosphates were where I wanted them (~5 and 0.1 respectively). Even my homegrown CO2 system was finally doing well and keeping me at 10-20 PPM. Everything was going well. I stopped testing my water so regularly because I figured I had everything down to a good formula now.

Then I noticed earlier this week that some leaves were falling off of my plants. Then Thursday, my water was cloudy and a little green. Saturday I did a water change, assuming that my nitrates and/or phosphates were too high. I got up this morning and it was even worse!

So it finally occurred to me to test my water. Well, the first thing I check was Nitrates, thinking they were probably really high or something. Turns out they were non-detectable! I'm guessing that was my problem - not enough nitrogen for the plants so the algae got a foothold. Fortunately, I had a backup fert mix on hand that has nitrates added. Hopefully this will get my tank back in good working order.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 00:00Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
coffeeman
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 21
usa
Incidentally - I learned a few other things as a result of this.

1. My tap water has no nitrates.
2. A drop of half strength PMDD sans KNO3 in 5 ML of my tap water yields nondetectable nitrates.
3. A drop of half strength PMDD with KNO3 added in 5 ML of my tap water yield an "off scale high".
4. Always lable your fertilizer bottles.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 00:19Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
And of course the most important thing you learned was that high Nitrates don't cause problems but low nitrates causes lots

Labelling the ferts is always a good idea

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 03:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies