AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# To diffuse? or To React...thats the question..
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTo diffuse? or To React...thats the question..
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 1
male canada
Hello!,
Ok I have been thinking about adding a co2 injection system to my newly planted tank. I have my ferts under control, my lighting is sufficiant, now comes co2. I have used the yeast in a pop bottle method... but its too irregular, so in short my question is this, which is better a power reactor, or a diffuser? I know they both do the same thing in theory? but what are other poeples thoughts on one over the other? my tank is 110gal. 60Lx24Tx18D I Guess i should be asking Little_fish this because i saw in his log that he had at first a power reactor then switched to diffusers.. So What do you guys think!

Shawn
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 02:09Profile PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
LF will probably be the best person to talk to because he has now done both. But you already know that.

I am going to vote for diffuser just because they take up way less room in the tank. Just my two cents.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 02:24Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Thanks Wing For your two cents.. The only difference i can see is that one requires a power head.. and the other just gets released under its own pressure. however im sure im wrong LOL

Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 02:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
I also made the switch from reactor to glass diffusor. Truth be told, you can get great saturation with either method. The biggest difference is aesthetic - an internal reactor is an eyesore. The diffusor is small and pretty and easily concealed. IME and as others on here can testify, we've usually needed to dial down the CO2 a bit after switching to the diffusor, it's a bit more efficient. It works best if you place it under a spraybar or filter outflow. The bubbles will move to the surface and get knocked back down by the water flow, allowing more interaction time between the CO2 bubble and the water, thus better saturation.

ANother member on here, mattyboombatty, swears by a home-made external reactor, removing the equipment from the tank altogether. I think it's a little noisy though - hopefully he'll chip in with his 2 cents.

Good luck!

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1315
male ireland
I definately prefer the diffusion method. But with DIY Co2 that may not be an option for you.

Diffusers are passive, unlike the reactors which are usually operated with a powerhead attach. The DIY needs to provide enough pressure to push the bubbles through the ceramic disk plate.

Some have reported that the glass diffusers worked fine others haven't had much look, may depend on the individual diffuser.

Don't know if anyone here has tried the diffuser with DIY.

Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 03:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
I think i am going to pass on DIY i have used that method before.. yeah its cheap but its also more tinkering i find then anything... So i would probibly buy a co2 cylinder and get a regulator... I am using Flourish Excell at the moment.. but i am just expanding my options. However here is the downside at the moment. My GF Likes to see bubbles ie air bubble strip bar so i dont have the surface tension to keep the bubbles in long enough.. so if i use a reactor would that give more saturation vs a diffuser? So at the moment im no futher a head then anything lol

Shawn
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2006 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
ooops....sorry I'm late. Here is the link to the how-to external CO2 reactor. I suggest going in-line with a canister filter, that way all you have in your tank is a heater and two tubes that can easily be hidden by plant mass. The reactor is cheap and easy to make, about $15, and really does give great saturation. There's a bit of the bubbly noise, truth be told, but I have a bad fan on my PC lights right now and that is WAAAAAAYYY more loud and annoying IMO.

Oh...and there's no cleaning with this option....at least I haven't yet and it's been going over half a year and still going strong. Maybe I should open that sucker up soon.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2006 02:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
However here is the downside at the moment. My GF Likes to see bubbles ie air bubble strip bar so i dont have the surface tension to keep the bubbles in long enough..

Well that will have to go. What's the point in investing a lot of money in a pressurised Co2 system only to have everything you put in outgassed by a bubble wand ????

Kill 2 birds with one stone. Use a glass diffuser. That produces smaller prettier bubbles then a wand. It's prettier too. Place it near the front. Guaranteed the GF will like bubbles and you'll have plenty of CO2.

Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2006 03:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Bensaf i was thinking the exact same thing. Mattyboombatty that link didnt work you sent me, could you please type it out again? Now the quesiton is, where and what diffuser should i get my tank is 110gal? Any suggestions?

Shawn
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2006 14:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
Stinkin' links.

try this one out

EDIT: ok that finally worked for me. If it doesn't work this time, Find Mattyboombatty's planted tank log(it's up here at the top right now), and look halfways down on the 3rd page.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2006 14:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bensaf

---------------
-----
Fish Master
male ireland
Another option that is highly reccomended is Sweetwater brand airstones. These produce very very fine micro bubbles great for Co2. Tom Barr reccomends them highly for big tanks. Even more like the bubble wand to keep the G/F happy

Has to be the Sweetwater brand though. The only one that produces bubbles small enough to diffuse effectively. They are available here www.aquatieco.com

Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 03:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
What about the Coralife limewood stone(or wood block?) It makes really small bubble too!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 17:41Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
shawnp2k
----------
Hobbyist
male canada
Hrmm All interesting options... Thanks guys for your input
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2006 22:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies