Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWater Analysis?
dmarkham0117
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
I was able to find the local information for my water source...and of course it is the water I use for water changes in my aquariums. I was wondering if maybe someone could take a look at the chart and tell me whether of not the trace elements were sufficient?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

[link]http://www.ntmwd.com/WaterQualityAnalysis0806.pdf[link]
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 16:15Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
It depends on the situation, if you were growing a bunch of anubias and cryps plants it would probably be fine. In a high light, CO2 enriched environment it wouldn't be enough. Just like everybody else's water. The main things to be concerned about from your tap water are excess amounts of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PO4, pH and hardness.

That said, they didn't list ammonia, so you would have to test that yourself I guess. The nitrite, nitrate and phosphates were pretty low, which is good. pH was a bit high and the water seemed pretty hard to me. That will have an effect more on the fish you chose, but some plants don't do well in hard water either. I don't suggest that you mess around with things though, that can have a negative effect as well. If you were to be using this for salt water your main concern would be total dissolved solids, or TDS, which they also neglected to mention. TDS is just a general measure of how pure water is. I have about 150 TDS in my tap water and my RO unit pulls that down to 3 or 4 and with the DI attached, reduces it to zero.

It almost looks like my tap water, except I know ours has more PO4.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 16:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
dmarkham0117
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
Thanks Matt!

And your tank is looking really good by the way.
And LF did ruin your little surprise...looks good though!
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 16:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies