Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat would cause this??
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
A bought some new plants and one of the new ones now has holes all over its leaves, which has seemed to spread to my java ferns. Ive never seen this before atleast not this bad. What wouold ti be caused by? The first picture is what my java ferns look like, the second is the new plan that came in that seems to have this problem. none of the other plants in the tank seem to have this. There is crypts right next to the new plant and they are completly fine.

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo25/19/99/65dc39ad6d2f.jpeg

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo30/25/c3/8d1c8ac54c76.jpeg
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2008 02:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
What fish do you have? Looks like pleco damage.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2008 02:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited by superlion
Referring to Aquarium Plants Manual by Ines Scheurmann, it looks like these plants have damage caused by excess nitrate.

I have seen java ferns do this before, but just with individual leaves, before a leaf with plantlets on it drops off the plant. I've never seen swords' leaves die from the middle out to the edge. When they are adjusting to being submerged after being grown emersed, they tend to go yellow and soft from the tips down to the stem and fall off.

So, try changing the water a few times (unless the high nitrate is from your tap... some folks do have a problem with their water supply), and feeding fish less.

><>
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2008 07:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Did the java ferns dry out or get physically damaged when adding the new plants?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2008 09:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The second plant has been some ones dinner for sure.

If it is in only one of the new ones that has the holes I would take it out and have a very good look at under side of leaves even use a magnifying glass if you can not see any problems contact where you bought them.

Finally just in case what fish are in the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2008 10:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
male usa
There is two BN plecos in the tank, but I don't think they would eat the plants. There is also two CAE, swordtails, platys, Gold gourami, black skirt tetras. I don't think any of these would eat the plants, and not that bad. They looked like that in less then a day of putting them in there. I will try a water change today and see if it helps.
Post InfoPosted 25-Nov-2008 01:07Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I would put my money on the BN plecos. I have a pair of them and they were eating away my amazon sword leaves much like your picture.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 25-Nov-2008 02:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
By any chance is one or both of the BNs Sailfins if so I have seen them completely wreck a planted display tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Nov-2008 04:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
male usa
Neither one of them are sailfins, I didn't even know BN came in sailfin. Ive had the BN in there for awhile, I don't think its them.
Post InfoPosted 26-Nov-2008 22:06Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
I had several baby spixis and other snails devouring my java fern similarly... do you have an snails? any hitch hikers?

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2008 20:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
yeah im having that problem too,something is munching on my anubias plant,i think its my large pleco,or my garbage guts featherfin catfishi was doing real well but its slowly looking drab,and eaten up
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2008 06:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
male usa
The two CAE that are in this tank were added about the same time the new plants were. And there is pretty much no algae in this tank and they are about 6 inches long right now. Do you think they might be eating the plants? They get algae wafers every other night Im wondering if this isn't enough.
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2008 09:16Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I don't know how the pattern of bottom dwellers nipping on plants, look but... It looks like snail or slug damage. I had a bad infestation this summer in my flower beds. My hostas looked just like that before spring was even over. Just my 2 cents. (Buggers drove me nuts!)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 02-Dec-2008 15:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies