L# Will these fish eat plants?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWill these fish eat plants?
lioness
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 55
female usa
So, straightforward question... In your experience, do you think these fish would be likely to destroy aquarium plants?

Dwarf Rainbowfish
Siamese Algae Eater
Mbuna (best guess Red Top Hongi)
Black Calvus
Leulupi
Julie transcriptis
Aulonacara Sunshine Benga
Rainbow cichlid
striped Raphael catfish

Pretty sure the red top and rainbow cichlids were responsible for the recent plant massacre over here. But, I'm planning a new redone fully planted tank and would like to know if any of these guys would be safe to leave in.

As to the unconvential stocking...well, its worked beautifully for the last few months, and its not permanent anyway so don't worry yourself over it, ok?
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2009 04:39Profile PM Edit Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
EditedEdited by pookiekiller12
Most of the malawi cichlids will damage plants. Also, look at the chemistry that is preferable to the fish and you need to match that to the plants preference. I think your mbunas will destroy the plants. Peacocks may not. The striped rafael may try to hide in roots or thick vegetation, so may upset your design that way.

Many malawi's primary diet is vegetarian. Sure they jump at the chance for protein, but too much will lead to short lives. Put a weighted slice of zuchini in the tank and it will likely be eaten by the cichlids, if they are not used to it it may take a few tries, but they do learn quick what food is.

Many cichlids will also establish territories and rearrange the environment(plants, gravel, and decorations) with spectacular tenacity. This rearrangement rarely fits the fishkeepers aesthetics.

generally keep tangs and malawi's separate.

These fish are very rewarding to keep, but gear the tank toward them, and you will be much less frustrated in the long run.

Central american's and rift lake cichlids should never( I hate to say never, but at least as a general rule) be kept together.

dwarf rainbows are likely to eventually be destroyed by other fish, especially if breeding starts.

keep in mind that not permanent often turns permanent(at least for the lives of the fish)
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2009 16:04Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I wouldn't put most types of plants in this tank due to the cichlids. The only fish I would trust are the dwarf rainbowfish, the siamese algae eaters, and the Raphael. Most cichlids and plants do not mix.

One of the fish I keep is a royal plec, which is basically a simultaneous plow and herbivore; if it doesn't eat it, it'll uproot it. Any of the normal stalk plants (ie. Wisteria, Cabomba) would be uprooted because they are not normally sold with strong root systems. The only plants it won't touch (of the few that I've tried) are Java Moss, Java Fern, Water Sprite, and Crypts with only limited success. Water Sprite is a fantastic plant that does well in my tank because it floats, and also grew in my tank much better than Anacharis and Wisteria, both which I have heard can grow floating (but apparently not very well). Java Fern must taste bad or something because the Royal has never taken interest. Java Moss is great for pretty much any fish. I also keep Anubias, which are great plants; eventually my royal plec developed a taste for these, but I do not think that most fish would concern themselves with these tough plants. Anubias have the downside of being more expensive than other aquarium plants, but they're tough so you're not wasting money on plants that are just gonna die on you.

If you stay with your current set-up, you can try those plants, and you should probably be good. Anubias and Java Fern should be anchored by tying them to a rock or piece of wood. Water Sprite should be left floating (although they CAN be planted, but in your set-up they'd probably get uprooted anyway). Java Moss can also be attached to objects, but I usually don't bother.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2009 03:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lioness
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 55
female usa
Well the rainbow cichlids are getting their own setup tomorrow, and the mbuna is going back to the FS. He's lovely but I really have no good place for him. So its really just the tangs that I'm worrying about. I don't 'think' they've been eating my plants but I was hoping for some input from others experiences before I invested a lot in a replanting again.

Basically this tank has been stripped bare, down to nothing. It used to be stuffed full of jungle val and water sprite. Also several anubias plants and a really nice java fern. Even the anubias and java fern have been shredded. I seriously think the rainbow cichlids are at fault here. They are the only ones that I have actually witnessed causing damage(they ate the vals like candy!). But I thought I'd ask anyway.

And as I said, this setup has been very peaceful, no aggression at all. I've had no problem keeping these fish together. Probably because I don't have any breeding groups.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2009 05:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies