Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWingsdlc 55G
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Thanks for the pic Wings. I think this is nicest version of your tank that I've seen. Incorporating an island would make a great look even better.
WD that is quite nice of you! I am pretty sure I am going to go with the island effect unless someone can convince me not to.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 01:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Wings ...soooooo ..have you changed the layout yet ?????

Garry
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2008 11:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I did about two weeks ago now. I am waiting for the ET to fill in as right now it is kind of thin. The rest is looking alright from the redo.

Last week I did a major trim job on the star grass and rolata in the back. Both will need to grow out a little bit. Maybe I can get some pictures this week if I take a camera from school again.

Today we are going to do an experiment to show how plants use CO3 and fish create CO2. I might want to take some pictures of it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2008 12:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 31-Mar-2008 02:39
This post has been deleted
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well here are just a couple of pictures. Let me know if you like it. I have more that I will post when I have the time and energy. I am pretty hapy with the tank right now. It does need a trim job and that will happen either tonight or tomorrow. The trimmings this week will go into the container pond I am starting tomorrow.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2008 03:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Wow, that looks great wings. I'd like to see it after you shape the rotala a bit. I can picture in my mind how stunning it would be.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2008 21:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thanks Matt! I will post some close ups and post trim pictures tomorrow after the bubbling is done.

Here is what I did today!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2008 23:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here is a picture of after the trim. I will post some close ups sometime later.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2008 03:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Stunning Wings. I like it. I see you're able to post direct now, instead of linking?? I think before you said that wasn't working for you??

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 23:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Stunning Wings. I like it. I see you're able to post direct now, instead of linking?? I think before you said that wasn't working for you??
Thanks TW! I broke down and paid the cash for the premium membership. I had quite a bit in my paypal from selling plants on another website. Makes life a bit easier.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2008 03:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I broke down and paid the cash for the premium membership.
I wondered that, but as I can't see an avatar, I thought not. That's good you made a little cash from plant sales. I just bought some off a hobbyist here in Oz - you'll wonder why I'm excited, but here you just can't find NL.Java Fern at any LFS or on-line. We only have the wide leaf version. Cost me $50 for 2 small pieces (the wide leaf stuff is cheap as anything) - but I'm happy as I've been looking for this plant ever since the old planted gang used to talk about it when I first found the FP. No idea how this guy came across it, but just glad he did.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2008 15:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
NL Java Fern is not super common here either but probably more so than over in your part of the world. It really depends on your area too. I live in a fairly small city with one LFS that doesn't do much plants. Other hobbiest seem to me the way to get my hands on most plants. In fact... I think all the plants in my tank except the A. nana came from other plant geeks online. The A. nana came into the LFS I worked at back home from a hobbiest. The crypts might have too...

Point being, I find it much easier and the prices, quality, and quantity much better.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2008 23:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Other hobbyist is certainly a good way to go. Unfortunately, not even they seemed to have NL Java fern. Aus has such super strict custom import restrictions - I think maybe for some reason this plant didn't make it on the "allowed" list - otherwise you'd be able to get it somewhere, even if on line from the other side of the country. I have no idea how this hobbyist got hold of it, but just glad he did. I've wanted it for a very long time. Always thought it looked better (in the pics) than the thick clumsy looking version we have here. Think it will make the tank look bigger, using the narrower leaf.

For the time being, it's just tied to a piece of wood & thrown in the tank, as the 7ft has been ordered & that will be it's home. If I can grow enough of it, some will spread across to my other tanks. For now, I only have 2 small pieces.

Keep up the pics Wings

EDIT: Why no avatar, Wings?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2008 05:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EDIT: Why no avatar, Wings?
For some reason it was giving me problems. I will try again later.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2008 12:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Wings .. TW stole the word that sprung to mind . Soooo , Brillant ...amazing ... ...take your pick ...I love it . One question...why the gap in the Rotala behind the island ?? .

I can understand why your happy with it ... I think this is one of the best Island theme scapes I've ever seen . Should look even better over time .

Extremely well done mate .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2008 12:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here is an updated picture from tonight. As you can see things are a little messy. I will explain more later.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2008 02:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here is a full tank shot. As you can see the main group needs a pretty big trim. I did not do one this week as I am waiting for the small group to grow out a bit. I did a major cutting on it last weekend. I also foresee a replanting of my ET as it is starting to up root. That will have to wait until I get back from my trip to MI once school is complete.

Here is the smaller group that is now starting to grow out a little bit.

The next two pictures I thought were decent plant pictures.

Here are a couple of shrimp, one amano and one male cherry.

This is a snail that we got in for our classroom aquariums. They were labeled as pond sails but I am pretty sure it is a nitrate snail. Can anyone confirm this?
This last picture is of my new fish. I was down to two Giant Danios in the tank due to jumping issues. I traded them and some plants in for 7 white clounds. One died a few hours after I got him in the tank but the rest other six are doing very well. I plan on added about 12 or so more to the tank in the next week or so.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 03:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
One more thing, the dog likes TFH too!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 03:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Very nice photos wings. I like the layout of this tank a lot. I really like the blyxa in the corners. I wish I had gotten that to grow well for me.

Cute dog too!

Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 03:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Loved all your pics, thanks for sharing. Have to say my fav is the dog pic, though you do have some great pearling going on in the tank.

It's good that you can now share pictures with us more often.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 04:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I'm not familiar with a "Nitrate" snail...
Could you have been thinking of the Nerite snail?

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1906&articleid=3174

Its a reef snail so I doubt it would survive in a
freshwater tank.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 08:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Matty,

Thanks for the comments. I really like the blyxa too. I tried to grow it in MI but I think the water was too hard. Down here in NC it grows really well for me. As for the layout I am more happy with this one than any other I have done. I do want to rework a couple of things though.

TW,

All the pearling was because of the water change in this set of pictures. I do get a pretty large amount of pearling on a normal basis though.

Pictures... well I needed to take some pictures of the kids this last Friday so it gave me a good excuse to bring the camera home from school. It might be a while before I get another set of pictures up.

Frank,

You are right with the name Nerite snail. I know some people are keeping some types of them in Fresh water. The link below shows you some.

http://www.planetinverts.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72&zenid=1d01c8a2736b8029eb6449213db6a6a7

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 14:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 01-Jun-2008 18:02
This post has been deleted
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Here are a few more pictures. The first is of a couple Amano Shrimp chowing down on some broccoli. The second and third are of a nice red Cherry Shrimp. The last two are of one of my two remaining Tiger Shrimp. I started with six. When I find another good deal I would like to add some more.

Enjoy!! Comments and criticisms are more than welcome.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2008 21:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Are these shrimp all in the same tank?
They don't interbreed or fight?
Frank

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2008 00:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here is another link for the snail.
http://www.wilmasthecause.org/Neritesnail.html

Frank,

I have never noticed any aggressive behavior between the shrimp. The Amanos tend to be pigs but they never pick on the other shrimp.

It is my understanding that the three types will not breed with each other. Amanos need salt but the Tigers and Cherry can breed in fresh.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2008 02:24Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Wings ... Looks Fantastic .. like the Island a lot...did you trim the Rotala bunch to the right ?.
It looks that way .
Matty is right the Blixa looks brilliant ..glad its going well for you ..I can't get those sort of
grass like plants to grow in my water either .

Well done... great design executed brillantly .
Few more close ups of the plant groups would be great ..the ones you did were great shots
...so clear ..not easy in a 100kb shot ...well done..

Love to see more .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2008 02:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Looks Fantastic

like the Island a lot...did you trim the Rotala bunch to the right? It looks that way .

Well done... great design executed brillantly .

Few more close ups of the plant groups would be great ..the ones you did were great shots
...so clear ..not easy in a 100kb shot ...well done..

Love to see more .

Countryfish,

First off, thanks for your comments and complements. It is nice to have people stop by every once and a while. Half of the problem is I don't have a camera on any sort of a regular basis. With that said, I would love to take some more shots but I probably wont have a camera for a while. School is out and I had been using the schools camera.

Rotala ~ Yes I did trim the right grouping of rotala. It took it about two weeks to grow back from the major hack job but it looks much better now. Doing a full bunch trim keeps the stems all about the same length and much bushier. Last weekend I did a major hack job to the left grouping of rotala. It hasn't grown back too much yet but I am sure it will in this next week or so.

Design ~ Thanks for the complement. I must say this is probably my favorite layout I have done yet. I think the biggest thing I have going for me is a nice solid mid ground of anubias on rocks. I do plan to continue to change a few things but I am not in any sort of a rush. None of the plans are for any kind of major change. Just a handful of little things. For instance, I would like to try and create some more depth by bring some blyxa on the right farther forward and adding in a little more rock work. The other change is the main grouping of star grass and rotala on the left. I would like to layer the rotala behind the star grass to try and create a little more depth there also.

New Fish ~ About three weeks ago I removed the last two giant danios and replaced them with 6 white clouds. Last weekend I added 12 more white clouds of the golden verity. There is certainly a lot of life moving around in the tank now. This gives me a total of 18 white clouds. I think I would like to add a few more regulars to balance the school. I am really enjoying these new fish. They are very active and display to each other often.

Thats it for now on this log. I will also update the Container Pond thread too.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2008 16:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I like the great pearling shot of riccia in your signature wings.

PS. I scored a lucky buy with a new camera. It is still a a simple kodak easy share, but at least it is new & it is 5 mega pixel & my old one was only 3.

Last weekend I walked into my local BIG W store & they had a table with marked down stock. I was sure it was an error. The box contained the kodak camera plus kodak easyshare picture printer (doubtful I'll ever use the printer). Original price was $250. It was marked down to $50. The store assistant & I could find nothing missing - the only thing seemed to be that the box had a tear in it.

I grabbed it straight away.

You just never know wings, what might come your way. I'd love one of those super duper cameras, like LF or tetra's. But like you, I'm not prepared to spend that sort of money at the moment, just to take pictures of my fish. Fish & aquarium plants seem to be the only things my simple little camera struggles with. Family & other shots are just fine. I haven't tried the new one yet, or I have, but can't download. I have to get around to downloading the software. The software for the old camera doesn't seem to work with this one.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 05:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
You just never know wings, what might come your way. I'd love one of those super duper cameras, like LF or tetra's. But like you, I'm not prepared to spend that sort of money at the moment, just to take pictures of my fish. Fish & aquarium plants seem to be the only things my simple little camera struggles with. Family & other shots are just fine. I haven't tried the new one yet, or I have, but can't download. I have to get around to downloading the software. The software for the old camera doesn't seem to work with this one.

I have come across deal like that before for film cameras. Actually my current film camera was that deal. I think it was a 250-300 dollar camera and I got it for 70 bucks.

I think the biggest reason I don't have a digital camera yet is that my wife was once a photo major so she doesn't want just any camera. I think she has her heart set on a Rebel Xt. Mean while I would much rather have something like the waterproof/shockproof point and shoot from Olympus. This is something I could take out on the trail when I got fishing and not have to worry about it getting wet or anything like that. There is no way the wife would let my out of the house, heading to the stream with a Rebel Xt. Nor would I really want to carry something like that around with me.

If I do happen to come across something cheap however I probably wont pass it up.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 13:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Shockproof, Waterproof, Freezeproof and Dustproof design gives active people the confidence to take this camera anywhere and shoot in nearly any condition. Plus, the wide-angle lens lets users capture more of what they see. Great for divers, surfers, rafters, skiers and anyone with an active lifestyle.
Sounds like just the camera for an active guy.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 13:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
That's what I was thinking!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2008 14:06Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Just a little update:

I returned home (NC) from my trip back home (MI) to find the 55G in good condition considering it was left for over a week. No major algae issues or anything. I did however loose a couple of white clouds. I only found one body during the water change. I was rewarded with white cloud fry swimming around the top of the tank. I am guessing I have somewhere around 5 or so of them. I don't plan on doing anything special for the fry so I hope they will do will on their own.

In preparation for the trip I stopped dosing ferts on my normal day (Thursday). I cut the noon burst light off so I was only running just under 2 WPG. And that was pretty much the existent of things.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2008 02:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Congrats on the fry! Glad the tank was ok.

Wings - Where in NC are you? I'm wondering where the good fish stores are in the Charlotte area.

Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2008 19:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
I am outside of Charlotte by maybe an hour. The only LFS I have been to in the Charlotte area was Fintastic]http://www.fintastic.us/[/link]. They probably has some of the better plants in the area which isn't saying too much. There is another pretty nice store in Gastonia called [link=Wetpets. This store is well kept but the plant section really bites!

In my new home town there are two LFS's. One has some nice Salt stuff while the other is more into freshwater. The one into freshwater just opened maybe two months ago and they started out with some nice plants but they don't seem to know how to keep them alive. The one into salt is mainly stocked with my trimmings in terms of plants.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2008 14:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I was hoping you wouldn't say fintastic had the best selection. I found them when I made a short visit a few weeks back. I mean, their plants were ok, and the rest of the stock was really nice. The store and staff were good, but their prices are probably 3-4 times what I see around here.

I'll have to check out the wet pets place in gastonia, thanks. There were still a couple I found in the phone book that I have to see too. Hopefully something can at least come close to the selection and prices I'm used too here. Otherwise I guess it's internet shopping for me!

Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2008 17:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Are you now living down here or planning to move down here?

I also think fintastic was high but I really don't head over that way a lot. Pretty much everything I need or want I either get at the LFS here in town or via another forum's swap and shop section. In fact, I think all the plants in my tank came from other hobbyist.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2008 21:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'll be down there mid july. I visited a while back to check out the apartment and area I'll be living in. I also scoped out for jobs.....and most importantly fish stores .

I was hoping the reef club there was active, unlike the one here.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 23:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I haven't really looked into clubs yet but I might sometime soon.

What brings you down here?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2008 14:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
My girlfriend already has a job there and I decided to follow her there. There's going to be more opportunity there for me from what I've seen anyhow. There's not a big job market here. in buffalo.

I don't know what freshwater or planted clubs are in the charlotte area, I haven't looked yet.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2008 16:24Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Yeah the MI job market didn't do much for me either.

Let me know if I can help you guys out anyway with your move and such.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2008 19:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
Thanks for the offer! We're using ABF to move and have a couple hired strongarms to help us move the heavy stuff into the apartment, so I think we're set with that. If anything else comes up I'll think of ya.

I'm probably going to set up my 50 as a fw planted again. So I might see if you'll make me a trade or something of that sort when I get set up.

Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 21:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
I just might be able to help you out with that.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 22:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here are a couple of updated pictures without a background.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 02:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Where'd all the rotala go?

Lookin' good wings. I actually like the contoured look a lot. I really like the anubias midground. Looks great!

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 03:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Funny, funny, matty, matty! I think most of it is in your tank!

Below is my latest project. There is some very bright pink rotola in there for you. Very low fert with 19W over a 1.5G tank with hefty doses of Excel really brings out the colors in the rotala. It happens to be from the same batch I sent you form my 55G.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 03:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I love the concave shape too. Very nice. It looks like it is mainly easy care plants.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
wow, that is some bright pink rotala

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2008 15:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
The hint I made in Matty's thread came true yesterday. Lets just say the pulling up all the plants in your tank is a ton of work. On top of that trying to arrange multiple chunks of DW together is a pain! After about 4 hours I got the thing put back together.

Hopefully later this week I can share a picture of two of it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 15:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
love those replant projects. Hope you enjoyed a nice cold one after while watching your water feature outside. Can't wait to see the pics.

I'm seeing more and more baby cherry shrimp, so a swap seems like a go in a week or two whenever you have time.

Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 18:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
A cold one might have been a good idea but it didn't happen. I had to wolf down diner then run over to a friends house for game night.

I really can't wait to show this thing off. The hard scape is pretty darn sweet. I am however a little worried about a mini-cycle as I had the filter off for those hours while working on the tank.

As for a shrimp trade... I think in a couple of weeks I should be able to also. I had quite a few more in the big tank than I thought.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 19:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Wings ...Hi mate long time ..had some computer trouble . Your tanks changed a bit ...not so ISLAND looking at the minute ...might be just because the Rotala is trimmed a bit shorter . Why no background BTW?
Like matty I think the Annubias look brillant .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 14:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wings ...Hi mate long time ..had some computer trouble . Your tanks changed a bit ...not so ISLAND looking at the minute ...might be just because the Rotala is trimmed a bit shorter . Why no background BTW?
Like matty I think the Annubias look brillant .
The scape has changed a bit. I was working on getting the rotala to grow in thicker bunches so I started doing some heavy trimmings. In the last picture it was still a bit shorter than I would have ideally liked. I think the blyxa growing tall also cut down on the island effect.

Well I took off the background to clean the back of the glass (I kind of spilled some liquid fry food back there) and liked the open feel to it. For now I am try the no background thing but I still have it around to stick back on if I change my mind.

Having the anubias on the rocks in my midground really helps the scape of the tank. It was one of my favorite parts of the old scape. As I have mentioned before, the scape is quite a bit different. Maybe later this week I will steel a camera from school and get some shots of it.

Thanks for stopping in!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 22:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Well I don't have too much time to give you all the details but here is the new scape.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2008 03:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Wings,

very nice.

Is that blyxia?
Annubias are looking very nice & healthy

One of your photos isn't working.

Cheers, Robyn

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2008 08:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW,

Thanks for stopping in! I have no idea why that picture is not coming up. It works fine in another forum I posted it in and it also comes up fine in the preview. Maybe someone here can help me with it or maybe it is a photobucket problem.

The bushes on the sides are blyxa. I am thinking of letting the left side grow a little wild while pruning the right side back a bit and letting my foreground grow around to the back. Just a thought.

The anubias is doing very well for me. I have a ton of it left over that I might place in my classroom tank or sell it off. I would send you some but I am not sure it would make it there as I am in fear of customs and such.

I will try and post more pictures later this weekend. Say tuned!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2008 13:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Wow, that looks great wings. Quite simple scape in terms of plants and the driftwood is really nice too. Nice job!

Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2008 14:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
The anubias is doing very well for me. I have a ton of it left over that I might place in my classroom tank or sell it off. I would send you some but I am not sure it would make it there as I am in fear of customs and such.
Thanks Wings, but you're right to be in fear of "customs & such". I bought some plants off ebay Aquaticmagic, thinking they would have everything cleared with customs. Australian Customs destroyed the plant & wrote to me asking me to let my friends & relatives know not to post me any more plants from O/S.

Your idea with the blyxa sounds nice.

Your driftwood is several pieces that you've arranged that way??? Or is it just one piece? I'm guessing it's several. You've done a real nice job in the arrangement.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 02:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Oh, and I've had this problem with the photobucket images. I think FP code won't allow this symbol - and maybe others in the url for your picture. To fix it you have to rename the file on your pc and upload it to photobucket again, then repost with the new url. Pretty easy huh?

I shoulda guessed about OZ imports with stuff. I think babelfish was saying how all her stuff was quarantined for months when she moved there with Adam. Pretty strict with that sort of thing.

Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 03:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Fixed the link. I had the file saved as RTS, meaning Right Tank Shot. Here at FP RTS stands for Red Tail Shark. I think that is where the issues came from. I actually renamed the photo right in photobucket.

TW,
The DW in the tank is about seven different branches. I used zip ties to hold some of them together then rocks to prop them where I wanted them. It took quite a while to get things how I wanted them.

Next post will be some more pictures but I need to put it all together first.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 13:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
This set of pictures shows how happy my fish are with all the wood in the tank. I think you can almost see them smiling!

Whiteclouds and Bristle Nose (Female and baby)

Female bristle nose and even younger baby

Clown Pleco - this guy almost always stays in hiding but at this time he was checking out some of the upper branches.

The last two are of the whiteclouds. They have really been staying in a nice tight group right around the wood structure. I also have a new set of babies in the tank that have about doubled in size since last week. There are about six adolescent whiteclouds that were born in the tank. I know there have been more babies hatched in the tank but I am guessing they were consumed by their adult counter parts or the filter.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 14:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
hmmm...tried to change the name on the photobucket picture and it didn't work. Probably user error again.

I don't remember if you said your BNs spawned or if you just bought a baby pleco.

Nice shots, and your fish look really healthy and happy. I'm still loving your new DW.

Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 18:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I don't remember if you said your BNs spawned or if you just bought a baby pleco.
My BNs have been spawning for about a year now.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2008 22:53Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Wings ... love the scape ...That driftwood is to die for . Well done ..a first class scape .. you just keep getting better at this !!!!!!

Great shots of the BNs as well love the babies .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2008 08:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here are a few up to date pictures for your viewing pleasure. I tried a new lighting method. Let me know what you think. I have done a pretty large trim over the last 2-3 weeks and it isn't exactly filled out yet but I think I am getting closer. One thing I still feel that needs to be refined is the star grass / rotala grouping.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 02:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here is a picture of my 29G classroom tank. I didn't want to take over matty's thread anymore with it, so I thought I would show it here.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 03:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
wow the tank looks great! i love teh symmetry and how the scape directs the eye to right where the fish want to be... it its great!

the class room tank looks great as well. I bet the Kids love having a bigger tank with some bigger fish (not the standard 10g with neon tetras like most teachers get )

the plants are filling in well and the health is quite admirable. I quite wish that I to could grow my plants so well.

Where do you get your plants and how do you fert? do you have CO2? Just trying to figure some stuff out as I have no had the best luck with plants in the past...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 06:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
brandeeno,

the class room tank looks great as well. I bet the Kids love having a bigger tank with some bigger fish (not the standard 10g with neon tetras like most teachers get )
My students really enjoy the fish in the classroom. One of the coolest things for them is that the convicts breed so often. Yesterday they spawned for the 3rd time this school year. The male must be doing pretty well as he must be getting over the hill. I think he is at least 6 years old.

Where do you get your plants and how do you fert? do you have CO2? Just trying to figure some stuff out as I have no had the best luck with plants in the past...
Most of my plants come from another form that has a place to buy, sell, and trade goods. Buying from other hobbiest gets you great prices and normally quality plants. The 55G runs pressurized CO2 and I dose fertilizer according to the Estimated Index method from Tom Barr. I think one of the biggest things for running a planted tank is buying the correct plants for your setup. Let me know if you need any help.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 13:35Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
The 55 setup is still looking great. I think the hardscape is just perfect. Looks like the rotala is still recovering from being hacked up, but should look really good once it fills in again.

The 29 is a really nice looking tank as well, do the convicts leave the crypts alone? I thought they would uproot them.

Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 15:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I love the 55g setup.
The DW in the tank is about seven different branches. I used zip ties to hold some of them together
At first I thought you meant those plastic coated wires that come with freezer bags & I wondered about the wires eventually being exposed & rusting. But by zip ties, do you mean cable ties?

What age/year are your students. I'm sure they enjoy the tank & the breeding part must be interesting for them too. Do fry ever survive in there?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2008 01:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Zip ties or Cable ties I guess they are the same thing.

The cons do uproot the crypts from time to time. For the most part they don't mess with them.

My students are 5th graders. Right now there is a batch of young from a spawn a couple of weeks after school started. They spawned a week or so ago but they didn't make it. Yesterday they spawned for a third time. We will see what happens this time.

What do you thin of the lighting for the photos?

Thanks for stopping in!!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2008 02:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here is a comparison shot. The first is of the tank with normal aquarium lights running. The second I had a 650W light mounted above the tank shining on the wall. The normal aquarium lights were also running. What do you think of photo quality between the two.

Normal aquarium lights.

Normal aquarium lights with a very bright back lighting.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2008 15:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
I think the plants near the top of the tank look a bit washed out in the picture with back lighting. So I guess I like the shot with normal aquarium lighting a little better.

Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2008 19:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I agree with matty, although the bottom one looks a little more like a sunset shot, so does have it's own appeal.

Part of my preference for the top one, is that there is a little more illusion towards there being a background. I can't help having a preference for a tank with a dark (if not black) background, so the bottom shot, in which the "no background" look is more obvious, is a little disadvantaged when I make a choice. My opinion on the lighting might have been different, with a background.

That's just my personal opinion & I see more & more the "no background" option is being used. If this tank is viewed from both sides, a background would not even be practical.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2008 04:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
the first shot gives more depth to the scape and makes the tank look overall bigger. the second looks more confined and a bit more amature IMO. I also have to agree with matty on the washed out plants and DW towards the top an back of the scape.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 10-Nov-2008 08:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thanks for all the comments. I am really caught in the middle of the open feel from no background and the pop from the black background. I will probably continue to play with both.

On another note it looks like the tank will be coming down here in the next couple of weeks as my wife and I are soon to move into our first house. I think having fish tanks is the worst part about moving...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2008 20:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi Wings,
Congratulations on owning your first home!
Yes, tanks are but a few of the headaches involved
in moving.

Have fun

Frank

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2008 22:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Hope the move goes well!/:'

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2008 23:04Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thanks gents! This is a rather small move. Maybe a mile or so. I just need to get my hands on some fish bags and make sure I have enough cooler space. I might have to swing by the LFS and see what he can do for me. We will have about 4 days to make the move so I am guessing I will have time to do it right and not loose a bunch of livestock.

My paradise fish spawned last night which was rather neat to watch but rather poor timing...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2008 00:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi Wings.

Congrats on the new house.

Can't wait to see how the tank looks post-move. Even though its not a big move I assume there will be new scape coming once you settle in.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2008 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Even though its not a big move I assume there will be new scape coming once you settle in.
I plan on keeping things similar but I don't think I have ever had a scape stay the same for long...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2008 22:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Well the move has not happened yet. The original game plan was to close on the house the 26th but we hit a snag and we might be able to close this week.

Being that the tanks will be coming down for the move I wanted to take a few last pictures to share before they start up again.

One and a half gallon.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2008 20:30Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Here are a few pictures of the 55G.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2008 20:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Sorry I missed your update wings!

Your tanks are looking great...wanna trade? I'm really liking the 1.5 right now. The pelia looks pretty good in there and the rotala is sickeningly red!

I think the 55 would look even better if the stargrass and rotala would even out a bit....but that's just being picky. The baby pleco is awesome and that cherry shrimp looks like she can barely hold all those eggs in there!

Good luck with the closing and the move whenever it might happen!

Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2008 16:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thanks for stopping in Matty. Don't worry about missing the post. Action around here has been a little slim for a while now it seems. I guess some of it is the time of the year.

Rotala and Star Grass - These two plants are a huge timing game. The star grass grows amazingly fast. At the level it was cut down to in the last photo, it could be to the top of the tank in a week. There is also the timing of when I have a camera at hand. I have been using one of the school's cameras whenever I happen to use it for school.

The move - I am not so sure the deal is going to go through at this point. We have been waiting a few weeks now for the neighbor lady to sign a waver and she has still not made up her mind.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2008 13:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Can't remember if I said it before, but congratulations on the house purchase wings. That's great news.

You sure have some beautiful colours in your tank. Shame to pull them down, but look forward to seeing their rebirth when you have settled in your new home.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2008 14:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW - the house deal fell through. It is a little bit of a bummer but if it wasn't meant to be then my wife and I are fine with it. I guess when we get back from MI we can start unpacking. It hasn't been much fun living in a box village the last month or so...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2008 16:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Well I brought home a camera from school again and snapped a few shots to share. Please let me know what you think.

First up is a photo of my new Ludwigia 'cuba'

Next is a center shot of the tank.

Last but not least

The rotala is about ready for another trim. It was looking pretty sweet last week but it is now getting a bit tall. I have been getting some really nice pearling as I have the flow from my canister bashing into the flow from my power head at the center of the tank. It has been helping the CO2 swirl longer in the tank.

All questions and comments are more than welcome!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2009 04:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Wow, not a speck of algae to be seen. I'm impressed.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2009 23:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Wow, not a speck of algae to be seen. I'm impressed.
Yeah right!! Most of it is just very small and if you lower the amount of light the camera takes in it just covers it up.

I have been having some issues with bba, green spot, and I had a very small spot with some green hairy stuff was growing. I think I got the later out of the tank though. Nothing is really taking over so I can't complain too much.

How are your tanks? Any updates??

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2009 01:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
With that quantity and variety of plants, I doubt that
you would have much, if any algae in that tank.
The plants are out compeating the algae.

Beautiful tank!

Frank

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2009 17:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Wow wings, that's looking awesome. I really like that ludwigia cuba. Your aquascape kinda reminds me a bit of a dutch scape in the second picture. Very masterful

Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2009 21:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Here are some updated pictures. My wife and I are under contract for a house so it looks like the tanks days are numbered.

Enjoy the pictures. Please feel free to let me know what you think!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2009 03:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I got a box of fish earlier this week. I won't tell you what they are right away so lets play the guessing game for a little while.

Here are the pictures....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2009 12:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Darn my membership ran out.... I guess I should fix that...

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2009 12:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Alrighty..........my membership is back up and running.... in a little over an hour from now I will be signing papers to become an official home owner... and my tank will be coming down and reset back up here in the next week or so.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2009 15:40Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Congrats on the house Wings! those little new guys are pretty cool. I don't know what they are, going to fill us in?

Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2009 16:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Congrats on the house.

As for the fish... Rasbora borapetensis (Red-tailed Rasbora)??

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2009 16:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
congrates on the house,hopefully my girlfriend and i wont be far behind you,it feels like we have been saving money forever,but we nearlly have our deposit saved.
now for your tanks,they are very nice,those plants are just so green and red.
when i see tanks like this it makes me want to do something like that.
however,the fish i keep in a nice planted tank like that,would just tear them apart!
perhaps when we get our own house,i mite email you to steel some of your great ideas.
that shrimp,looks like shes ready to burst.
one qeustion i do have,what type of pleco is that little fellas resting on the wood.
will he eat some of your plants when he gets bigger.
just asking,as i have a huge pleco,(well fed too)and he has just ripped and ate my massive anubias plant to bits.it was over 40 cm high,it had like 45 levaes on it,vibrant green colour,but he just wrecked it.
anyway,good luck with your new place,and be carefull moving those beautiful tanks.
i hope they all go well 4 you when you set them back up,and dont foget to post up some new pics too.
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2009 10:49Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Thanks for all the kind words! The house has been coming along well. I started moving some things in today. I think the tanks will be one of the last things to go. This move should go a little bit easier than the last one being this is just a 5 minute drive where the last one was about 15 hrs (which turned into a 3 day trip with many setback).

The little pleco on the driftwood is one of my baby BN plecos. No problems with plant being eaten.

The new fishes are not rasboras. They are native to the USA if that helps. I will hold out a little longer before given in with a name.

Lunch is over.... back to hauling things.....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2009 19:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
male usa us-colorado
Tanichthys albonubes
White Cloud Mountain fish.

Frank

Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2009 21:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
They are native to the USA if that helps.

I do have whiteclouds in the tank but they are not my new fish. See pictures again....

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2009 23:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
The new fishes are not rasboras. They are native to the USA if that helps.

hmmm... Lucania goodei, bluefin killifish?

G_T

Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2009 02:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
Lucania goodei, bluefin killifish

I'm slow on the draw these days hehehe, ya beat me to it GT !!
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2009 06:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
GT - That is correct! You jut earned 10 points in the name that fish game. It is a good thing the points don't matter!

These fish were wild collected out of South Carolina. I hooked up with Charlotte, NC aquarium club in late march to do native fish collecting around the area I live. All the fish we caught would have not have done well in my tank as they prefer much cooler water but it was still a great learning experience. The guy that ran the trip is from SC and he mailed me the killis a few weeks later.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2009 13:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Congratulations Wings. So this time, the purchase worked out for you. Nice to know the place is yours, isn't it?

Are your latest pics of the tanks in your new house, or from before they were taken down for the move?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2009 04:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
hey Wingsdlc,
could you tell me more about the Charlotte, NC aquarium club?
Ive been living in charlotte for a couple years now, but i had no idea that there was an aquarium club here

Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2009 23:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
TW - Everything has worked out really well with the house. Everything except for the tanks are not moved. Most of the stuff has not been put away yet though. My plan is to move the tanks next Saturday. To answer your question about the tank pictures, they are from the old place as the tank has not been moved yet. Guess you probably could have figured that out.

zachf92 - To tell the truth I don't know much about it either. I am not a member or anything. I just hooked up with them for that one outing. Here is a link to their website/forum that will be helpful for you.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 19-Apr-2009 14:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
Thanks
Ive been looking for a aquarium club around here for a while now, but the only one I could find was the reef aquarium society, but i dont keep saltwater aquariums.

but anyway, the tanks look incredible, as well as your new bluefin killies. I know most people advise against keeping coldwater fish with tropical fish, but bluefin killies are typically resilient and should do well.
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2009 01:27Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
zachf92 - I also noticed that there is a club out of Hickory too. I think they meet the last Thursday of the month at the Catawba Science Center. I might check them out next week. They are a little closer to home than going into Charlotte.

Not all of the fish in my tank are tropical fish. The whiteclouds are more of a simitropical.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2009 12:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Last night the tank went into distruction zone. I started by removing the killifish, white clouds, and what I thought to be many of the cherry shrimp. Next came the plants. Each grouping was taken out, wrapped in paper towels and placed in a LARGE fish bag (the ones they line fish boxes with). The only group that was not wrapped up in the paper towels was the mass of anubias. After removing most of the plants came bottom feeders (rainbow shark, skunk loaches, plecos, and + or - at least 200 more cherry shrimp. It took my wife and I at least an hour to get of most of the shrimp. By 9pm we were kind of wiped out and called it a night.

The plants will remain in the large bag wrapped up until this weekend. They completely filled a large fish box. The fish are in in a 10G tank that was filled 50/50 with new water and old water and then placed with an over sized filter seeded with a filter pad from a running tank. Lastly the shrimp are in a 5G bucket with java moss and an air stone running. I thought it might be a bad a idea to dump that many shrimp in with quite a few fish in a 10G tank and no real hiding places.

Tonight I plan to remove the shrimp we didn't get to, drain the tank, removed the gravel and transport the set up to the new house. The 2x4 stand is going to go though some modifications to make it a little more presentable in the house. Hopefully I won't have to move it for a long time.

I will hopefully post pictures of the set up process.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2009 12:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I know how exhausting a tank move can be. Sounds like you have a good plan though. Good luck, I hope it continues to go well! BTW that's a lot of cherry shrimp

Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2009 15:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Whew, sounds exhausting.

Wow, so many shrimp surviving around your fish. How many shrimp did you start off with?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2009 22:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I think I started out with a batch of 10 or so. Sometime later I added another 10 or so to mix up the gene pool. That was all back in Michigan before the big move down to North Carolina a couple of years ago. I am not sure how many shrimp made it down here. I would have to guess 50-100? I gave away tons of shrimp before I left Michigan.

This weekend I modified the stand so that the long brace pieces rest on notched out 2x4s instead of bolts. I also shortened the legs by about 10 inches. When I first made that stand it was for my 40G long a much shorter tank than the 55G. The last year or so I have had to stand on a chair to do anything at the bottom of the tank. I had been a real pain. The stand got a coat of black rustoleum paint yesterday from my wonderful wife. It might look a little more presentable in the house now.

The fish and shrimp seem to be doing well in their small hotel rooms. I have not checked on my plants that are still wrapped up in paper towels in bag. I think most of them should be alright though.

The tank will probably go up late tonight or tomorrow.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 12:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
EditedEdited by wingsdlc
Here is the new set up. The plants still need to fill in a bit and then get trimmed up nicer. Overall I a pretty happy with the setup up. I just have to be careful with the driftwood.

While planting the ET I learned that my little bluefin killi fish will bite! Little stinkers!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 12:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I like the new layout! Going for the valley look instead of the island look? I can't even tell if that's the same DW or not. Oh, and is that potomageton?

Post InfoPosted 13-May-2009 05:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
I like the new layout! Going for the valley look instead of the island look? I can't even tell if that's the same DW or not. Oh, and is that potomageton?

Matty! Thanks for stopping by!

I have been wanting to do a valley scape for a while now. Instead of doing the normal beach look using sand I am going to try for a meadow with the ET.

Same DW, it is in individual sticks so the layout possibilities are endless.

potomageton?? Where?

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2009 12:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Well done, that's one sweet set up.
Is it me or are the small plants in the foreground blooming?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2009 21:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Is it me or are the small plants in the foreground blooming?

Kellyjhw - thanks for stopping in!! The foreground plants do flower but the flowers are very small and you probably can't seem them in the photos.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2009 22:51Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Oh, looked like potomogeton in the front left running up into the rocks.

Never liked sand myself so I like the decision to go with ET.

Post InfoPosted 14-May-2009 00:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies