AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Would this be a suffiecient/correct light for a 10g planted?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWould this be a suffiecient/correct light for a 10g planted?
Zero3803
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
Hey guys =]
I've been doing some research on smaller size planted aquariums. I've read that the wpg rule doesnt neccesarily apply in smaller tanks and that generally a greater amount of wattage is needed to sustain such size tanks. After much frustration trying to find a correct setup, I came across this:
Coralife Freshwater Aqualight- 24" Power Compact Light-1 x 65W

and a link to the product:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1383180/cl0/coralifefreshwateraqualight24powercompactlight1x65w

"Included is a 6700K fluorescent lamp"

While it would protrude a few inches on either side of the tank, I assume I could block those areas and that it shouldnt have much impact. The reason I'm looking at 24inch models is because there appears to be a severe lack of PC setups in 20 inches that come with the correct bulb types for the setup I'm going for.

There is this option I suppose:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1381726/cl0/currentusasatellite2040wattpowercompactfixturesinglestripwlunarlight

Although it comes with a "combo bulb comprised of 10,000K and 460nm Actinic." I'm not too sure this would be the correct choice for a freshwater planted aquarium as the articles I've read indicate a rating around 6700K are more appropriate.

Thanks in advance.=]
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 01:51Profile PM Edit Report 
Carissa
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
EditedEdited by Carissa
Are you planning on doing co2? I have a 10g planted non-co2 with two 13w cf's and it's plenty bright for my plants. In fact I was doing co2 earlier and the plants all pearled all the time. But I guess it depends on what plants you are keeping. I have two varieties of hygro, java fern, vals, and crypts. I can't imagine putting 65 watts of light over the tank, but I guess people do it. Personally I would be scared of algae issues with that much light, co2 would be a necessity I would think.
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 01:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
For considerably cheaper you can buy a 10g hood (~$15) and then replace the 2 incandescents with compact bulbs (~$10 each). Usually you can fit up to 25w bulbs with little modification. Most of the time just loosening the screws on the plastic shields that protect the socket from water allows the bulbs to fit. Otherwise I have seen thick plastic bands that stretch to fit around the base of the bulb. I suppose you could also put a glass top under the hood and just remove the shields so long as the tank didn't overheat. The only real difficulty is finding daylight 25w bulbs but I've seen them at several hardware stores including Menards and I'm sure they can be found online but for a slightly higher price. Still much cheaper than a 65w pc fixture and cheaper to replace the bulbs. A 65w straight pin is going to cost you around $30-$50 depending on color temp and quality.

Another option is to build your own hood out of wood, place the sockets for screw in pc bulbs inside it, and then set it over a glass top. You could fit more bulbs than a standard hood that way for not much higher cost but I don't see why you need more than 5wpg of pc light. What are you planning to grow?
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
there is a 20 inch lighting unit available from coralife but you will have to shop around who carries them. Aside from that - 6.5 WPG is overkill IMHO for freshwater.

40 W looks more reasonable and again, with a little surfing the net you should be able to find a distributer that sells this set up/is willing to send you the fixture with bulbs for freshwater
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I wouldn't dream of putting that much light over a 10 gallon tank. Mine is doing more than great with 30 W (2x 15W CFs) Being as shallow as they are, there's not really a lot of light lost in the depth of a 10-gallon tank.

><>
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 07:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Zero3803,

While I am in general with all the previous entries, I am also saying that your setup can work though.

You appear to have been doing some research before you posted here (and btw, welcome to FP ), as can be seen when you identified correctly that the actinic would not be good and by your knowledge that the WPG rule differs with tank size (small and large - in reverse proportions, btw).

While I agree that 65W is a lot over 10G (I had it over a 20G low tech and it was too much), it would not be too much if you knew what you were doing and you were planning to set up a Nano High Tech Tank.

Why don't you tell us your plans?

Have fun,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 13:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Welcome to Fish Profiles!
I think the "trick" to the lighting question should
revolve around what plants you are going to put in the
tank. If you are going to put swords, or various stem
plants in the tank, then that high a wattage light would
require fertilization, and Carbon in some form either
(liquid - Flourish Excel, or gas (CO2)). It would also
require constant trimming as the plants would tend to over
grow the tank in a couple of days vs weeks.

If you were to put plants like Anubis, crypts, etc in the
tank, then they are slow growers, don't need any more than
a watt or two, max for good growth. That slow a growth
would mean that either the fish in the tank would provide
the nutrients, or you might add just a "smidgen" of
fertilization, and the liquid forms would more than
suffice.

Generally, when folks are doing a serious 10 gallon or less
tank, they use smaller plants to achieve the "look." The
plants they generally use are plants that many would
consider foreground or carpet plants. In the smaller tanks
however, they become "giants" so to speak. A 2 or 3 inch
growth of E. Tennellus http://www.azgardens.com/images/1root8.jpg can
become the main stay and a moss or fern carpet could become
the lawn. In other words, plants are "shrunk to fit the
tank). If you were to use normal size plants for a much
larger tank, you will be trimming them every day.

The thing with the smaller plants is that they tend to grow
out in the open rather than in shaded areas and are all
considered high light demand plants, that is 3+wpg or more.
These are mostly plants that thrive in direct sunlight for
nearly the whole day.
Hence, folks tend to use higher wattages on smaller tanks.

Look toward the smaller, carpet plants, and then you can
use the high wattage lights, and fertilize with the liquid
ferts, and have some beautiful tanks. For instance,
check out the 4Gallon "Nano" tank that is being logged in
the Planted Aquaria section of this forum. Open up your
filter (right hand corner) where it says show only threads
that are two weeks old to an older selection and you will
see others that have planted "nano" tanks and their choice
of plants.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 16:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Zero3803
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Hey guys. I appreciate all the responses. I decided to go with the suggested option of CF bulbs in the incandescent hood. Picked up a couple 15W 6500K bulbs which fit perfectly into the hood I had purchased. Also through what I've read this would seem to be around a medium lit tank given the conditions I've seen as far as light in smaller tanks. Anyway, I managed to head to the lfs and pick up a few java fern, a sizeable clump of java moss and a great looking anubias. I think in the end it will be in my best interest to steer away from the extreme end and instead establish a lower maintenance planted tank. If I can, I'll toss some pictures up in a day or two. Thanks again for all the suggestions. =]
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2007 18:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies