AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# how concerned should I be???? snail....
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribehow concerned should I be???? snail....
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
Hello, I have reciently turn my 40gal from fake plants to real added a few fish and a lone snail..not sure what kind.. looked it up, but no picture??.. hes about 3/4in diameter, brown/yellow amost a swirl of both colours.. after having him in the tank for an hr where he was sitting, he was eating the plant.. new plant eaten away like a catipilar does a leave!.. should I remove him? will he kill it all off?
I know i read that they say they will only eat the dead matter, but there is enough algae for him??.. oh no what have I done..

any help would be good.. tks
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 02:35Profile PM Edit Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
EditedEdited by itsjustme1966
...found it "Ramshorn" snail I have found it here on the site.. could only be it.. hes gotta go back to work tomorrow..hes in with my betta??.. what else could I do..
we have cone shaped ones that are a yellowy colour would that be ok?..different form is it a different snail too??..
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
greenfootball
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 360
Votes: 0
male usa
if it is ramshorn, it shouldnt eat healthy plants. some people say it will munch on SOFT plant leaves but not all will do that.

i say leave it in there and observe
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 04:36Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
JBennett181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 46
Votes: 2
male usa
the cone ones are probably malaysian trumpet snails there also on the site check em out

i like feesh
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 00:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
greenfootball
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 360
Votes: 0
male usa
yup the cone ones would be MTS they are beneficial to your tank actually, they dont bother the plants at all, and only comes out at night
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 01:43Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies