Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribekill snail eggs on a plant
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
My wife got some "plant" from my father in law. I would bet money that snail eggs are all over it. My wife put it in my 20 gallon but the end place for it will be in my 80 gallon. What is the best way to get rid of this pest. also I am away from home and my wife is not in the know about this kind of stuff so the simpler the better.
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2010 08:08Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The best snail and snail egg remover is one of the smaller loaches. If you have a good LFS see if you can get a small Clown Loach and return it in about 3 months time.

By then it will have grown from have a feed on all the snail eggs and any snails that have already hatched.

Or give it to your FIL to clean his tank up.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2010 08:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
foster56
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa us-michigan
Potassium Permanganate will kill snails, and eggs. You can get it from a pharmacy. I tablespoon to a small amout of water.

Foster56
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2012 23:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
foster56
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa us-michigan
Update!! Don't add to tank, use separate container. Soak for 10 mins.Then rinse well in tap water.

Foster56
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2012 23:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Have her take it out and give it a good rinse under the tap then add it back to the tank.

Have her keep an eye on the tank and if she notices that there are snails in the tank and she isn't too fussed by it when they're young it's pretty easy to smash their shells and let the fish eat the snails.

Their are snail rid liquid remedies that you (she) can get from your LFS, just be careful about what's in the tank, many of the loaches don't go for medications. Like Keith said though, if you've got loaches you probably wont end up with snails .

Have her reduce how much she feeds the tank, will take away food from the snails and encourage the fish to eat them (they'll go crazy if she smooshes shells for them ).

^_^

Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2012 01:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies