Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe180 reef log
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
Sorry i haven't been posting lately, lots of schoolwork and ive been kinda sick lately, so im a bit under the weather.

Good news, about three days after the clown was intoduced he began hosting, so i have a hosting clown, bad news is he was sick for the first few days, but everything has been ship shape since then, everyone's happy.

unfortunatly, just before the clown was added, the smallest blue tang got very stressed and hid for about four days and wouldn't eat , and eventually died.

The only other problem with livestock that ive had, is my crabs have suddenely gone nuts, and started attacking eachother. They have extra shells in case they grow out, but im not sure why they keep going after eachother.

The rest of the livestock is doing fine, the birdnest is growing and the torch had to be moved due to lighting, which brings me to my next problem.

We came home one evening to find the room that the tank was in filled with this strange smell, like that of plastic melting or burning, and my middle MH was out. I took a peak inside the ballast, and somthing is definatly fried, im not sure which part it is, but the other lights work on the middle lamp (those of you who read way at the beggining know that i have three seperate fixtures.) ALl of the other compnents work, except for the MH. So the middle light is down and my torch had to be moved to the far lef to the tank, where its not getting as much flow. As soon as the light gets fixed its going to be moved back.

Last of all, im thinking of what to add next. Im looking for somthing thats quite active, lately my tang's have been people shy, straying to the back of the tank and hiding when there is any movement in the room, in general, they tend to stay partially hidden.

Any suggestions?

Last of all, ill post some pictures of new growth's in my tank. As i mentioned earlier, the small white dots are appearing on the glass, ill get some pictures of those.

The other thing i noticed while i was doing some tank mantinence, is that the rock which the birdsnest is on, has started to change color. I took a closer look and there is somthing growing, ill get a picture, but it almost looks like there are hundreds small of mushroom polyps growing on the rock? they're awfully hard to get a good look at because of the tank depth and the width of the glass.

ill post some pictures in a day or two, and any suggestions for livestock would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 06-Mar-2006 23:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Well, my lfs is fixing the ballast for free. Turns out it was a faulty capacitor, which will be switched out in the next day or so, so it should not be a long wait .

Nick
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 02:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Wow, i havent posted in a really long time. We'll not much has happened lately. I have some strange growths, which is expected, and im going to be posting some pictures of them.

New creatures are popping up everywhere, theres a nudibranch that just appeared one night and has been around every now and then for about the past five weeks.

I've bought some new coral, a nice sized brain and some zoo's.

Earlier i bought two filamented flasher wrasse's, but they died because a blizzard hit cincinnati on their delivery day and the seller did not pack them with enoguh heat packs.

I nearly coaxed life back into them about five hours of quarentining and acclimation, but one hid and the other swam directly into the mouth of the anemone. Needless to say, they anemone did not mind, and promptly ate a $35 lunch. I am yet to find the remains of the other, but i have reason to belive that the hermits devoured the body.

Suprisingly, there were no changes in the water quality, just lots of dissapointment.

My ballast was replaced for free by my LFS, it had a faulty capaciter. But unfortunatly, another one crapped out, so i took that to get fixed today.

I also bought two new fish, both gobies.

The first, a diamond goby, has been activly building a burrow since he went in about two hours ago. Hes quite amusing to watch.

The other is a Valencienna strigata, but he is compeltly pearly white, with a yellow head and a blue line on the side, no dark fins. When put into the tank he immediatly hid and i have seen nothing of him since.

i just took about 90 macro shots, ill see how they came out, its very difficult to get the picture perfect detail shot as you all know.

Nick

Nick
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 00:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
Earlier i bought two filamented flasher wrasse's, but they died because a blizzard hit cincinnati on their delivery day and the seller did not pack them with enoguh heat packs.

Ugh...times are rough for you it sounds. Sorry about the losses, I keep realizing how lucky I've been on occasions, but always buying livestock that I can watch for a week or two helps a lot.

Is the LFS going to replace this ballast too? Sounds a bit sheisty to me. I might ask them to try and get a different brand or something.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 06:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Yeah they're replacing it for free. The first one had a fualty capaciter on it and competly fried, as in smoking reef tank. They replaced it free of charge.

I dropped the second one off on thursday, they said they would let me know when it was redy. This one didnt have the smoking problem, so it might be somthing a little less buggy. If so, they're doing it for free.

this seems like such a pain in the butt, but having three lights and ballasts was alot cheaper lighting for a 180 then the full length strip. I got these lights for around 700 i think. at the time, the full length fixture with 3 MH and ace. and moonlights was 1,200 or more.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 06:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Alright, just got back from the LFS, and i saw a coral that i just fell in love with.

It's a large elegance coral, orange with green.

Im acclimating it as we speak, so it needs some time to open up, then ill attempt to take some pictures of it. It was about 10" across when it was open in the store tank.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2006 22:53Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
A lot of people have trouble with those corals just up and dying. I think they start with white around the diameter and continue inward. Keep an eye on it and treat it well with spot feedings at least once a week.

Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2006 02:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Will do, thanks for the heads up

the guy at the LFS said that he has been spot feeding it with phytoplankton and its been doing very well.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2006 03:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Elegance corals wouldn't use phyto very much. I'd feed something meatier. Say cyclopeeze and mysis, or even chunks of krill.

Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2006 04:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
two years since i have been logged in. thats a long time.

after being away from the tank at school for a year i decided to make some changes upon my return.

i've sold some coral, added more rock, changed my filtration (slowly).

i can post some pictures later on this week of how its looking after 2 years of growth.

Nick
Post InfoPosted 06-Sep-2008 23:42Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
I'd like to see the changes, please do put up some pics, or links at least.

Post InfoPosted 07-Sep-2008 00:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies