Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCompatibility?
JBennett181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 46
Votes: 2
male usa
its my first saltwater tank so i dont have all of the compatibility knowledge that i do of freshwater, i have some fish in mind that i want to put in my new 45 gal bowfront and it will be set up as a reef. the fish are as follows.

1 coral beauty angel
1 hawaiian flame angel
1 full grown maroon gold stripe clown (the owner of my LFS said he would sell it to me ITS AWESOME!

those are what i really want and if possible i also want 1 longnose butterfly fish

those are the main fish i wanted, the would go with some gobies, blennies and i want to cycle the tank with damsels.

if anyone dosent think this would work out let me know and tell me what the problem is thanks!

i like feesh
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 00:47Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
First, the angels would have to go for a couple reasons.....first reason is that they wouldn't get along with each other, and the second is that they will eat corals.

I wouldn't ever recommend a butterfly fish of any type to a beginner. They are pretty tough to keep and I wouldn't try to keep one in a 45g tank anyhow. They need more room.

You should also never cycle a tank with damsels. It's very stressful to these fish, and if they do survive the stress of poor water quality for a month, ripping them out of their established territories and sending them elsewhere adds to that. Use live rock instead. It will create some dieoff (ammonia) and cycle the tank all on it's own. You should get more than 45 lbs for a reef tank. Once you've tested 0 for ammonia nitrite and nitrate for a week, then your cycle is complete. You can then add your cleanup crew to the tank....figure 20 of a mix of hermits, snails etc. Then you can add the sturdiest fish on your list a week or so after your cleanup crew goes in if you still have no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 01:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
JBennett181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 46
Votes: 2
male usa
i wa planning on having liverock only for a month or so but this information is off from what ive seen. at my LFS his tank that he keeps his corals for sale in has a coral beatuy in it and it never does any damage, ive also seen many succesful reef tanks with flame angels.... i did think mixing the two might be a problem. i still am planning on starting with the damsels after a few weeks of liverock and live sand. say i get rid of the angels what are some good fish to possibly put in there, im looking for many different colors and around the same amount and size.

i like feesh
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 01:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
From what I've read and from people I've talked to who have tried to keep angels in their tank, the chances of getting an angel that won't nip at softies and lps are worse than 50/50. It might be one in three that won't go after your corals. I'm never willing to take that chance.

IMO it's cruel to cycle with damsels. There's absolutely no reason to do it and you are just stressing the fish. This is a practice that should be eliminated from the hobby.

As for fish that might work out well: do some research on reef safe wrasses, pseudochromis, dartfish, jawfish, basslets, blennies and gobies. Look at this thread here for specific species. Notice that tangs, angels, and butterflies are NOT on the list for smaller tanks.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 03:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
yea alittle late, but

two dwarf angelfish will not get along. flame angelfish are nicer though so i would stick with this. Coral beauties are more duller in coloration and will fight with a flame angel.

They arent fully reef safe as stated. polyps would be in danger of being eatten.

Maroon clownfish... ARE VERY BOLD. personally i would go with two oscalleris but if u want a maroon u have to have better than mates than most gobies.

a 45 isnt that much room so i would have to advise against the butterfly.

an algae blenny will be fine with most fishes. make sure u have enough algae to keep it well fed. And damsels to cycle... this is a mixed choice as damsels are hard to get out... and they will get large and aggressive.

For the most part... i recently discovered the beauty of black gold damsels.. very tolerant and docile.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 05:11Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mahisehar
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
female belize ca-ontario
EditedEdited 19-Nov-2013 06:55
I just got my hands over a great fluidized bed filter, and an extra tank from a client that didn't want it anymore, and i was wondering if it would be ok to use it to turn the tank into a reef tank. Will that be ok?

leather jackets www.leather-jacket.info

MAHISEHAR
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2013 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SGwinn96
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
[https://www.fenbenlab.com/shop/]

<a href="https://www.fenbenlab.com/product/fenbendazole-capsules-222mg/">buy fenbendazole capsules</a>
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2022 16:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies