AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Reef Keeping
  L# Coral of the week------Tubastrea (sun polyps)
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCoral of the week------Tubastrea (sun polyps)
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Scientific name: Tubastrea sp.

Classification: LPS

Common names: Orange cup coral, sun polyps, sun coral, black sun polyps (T. Micrantha)

Description: Tubastrea is an LPS coral with tubular corallites covered with bright orange tissue. Tubastrea have no zooxanthellae and are generally considered non reef building corals due to their slower growth. They are typically nocturnal, extending their polyps at night to capture plankton. Tubastrea are normally found at the entrance to caves and under overhangs where nutrient levels are higher. Tubastrea are most often found at depths of 13-160 feet in very turbulent water.

Hardiness: Tubastrea should only be kept in well established tanks by experienced aquarists because of their feeding and general care needs.

Lighting: Tubastrea are non photosynthetic and do not use light.

Water current: High flow is necessary for feeding in nature. The high flow is also necessary to keep the tissue of the coral free from debris.

Temperature: Does well in a temperature range of 78-84 degrees F.

Aggressiveness: Medium High. Although slower growing than a lot of other corals, Tubastrea polyps contain powerful nematocyst cells that are capable of stinging other corals that are within their reach.

Feeding: Since Tubastrea do not rely on photosynthesis for food, they need fed at least every other day. In nature they feed on larger plankton so a larger food like brine/mysis shrimp should be fed. New colonies will most likely need to be trained to come out and feed. This can be done by using a turkey baster and blowing food or the food juices over them. Once you get them trained to come out, they are relatively easy to care for. Some will also be out during the day once trained, and some even emerge whenever food is placed in the aquarium.

Supplements: Normal ranges in calcium and alkalinity, and other trace elements essential in skeletal development are needed for growth and a strong, healthy coral.

Tank positioning: No special requirements other than a high flow area.

Propagation: This coral is very hard to propagate manually. If kept in good conditions and well fed, small buds will form along the edge of the mother colony. The buds will sometimes detach, float to a new spot in the aquarium, and start a new colony.

[font color="#C00000"]Special notes/considerations: This coral must be fed, or it will cease to open, and tissue recession will shortly follow. This is not a coral that can be placed in the aquarium and forgot about, you must be dedicated and willing to give it attention on a daily basis. * DUE TO THE FEEDING REQUIREMENTS OF THIS CORAL, CARE MUST BE TAKEN TO STAY ON TOP OF WATER QUALITY*[/font]

Now for some pictures of my sun coral

Sun polyps closed

Sun polyps just opening

Sun polyps open

Close ups of the polyps

And

[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

[span class="edited"][Edited by DarkRealm Overlord 2003-12-19 02:13][/span]

[span class="edited"][Edited by DarkRealm Overlord 2003-12-19 03:11][/span]
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
RustyBlade
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1667
Votes: 391
female australia
I am SO IN LOVE! How beautiful is that???
WD DRO
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile ICQ Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
lil_mikey69
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2380
Votes: 1
male usa
Sun Polyps are VERY attractive. The only thing Id be concerned about, as you said is the feeding. Ive seen many accounts of them pretty much just wilting away, seems most people dont know to feed them at least ever other day.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
Do you mind if I steal your lights nate. hehe, but awsome coral wish I could have it.

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Jamie.......why would you need my lights? Sun corals dont use light.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
lil_mikey69
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2380
Votes: 1
male usa
Yup, they actually prefer very low light, even normal output light would be acceptable. They just need to be fed very often.
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
No, I meant for other coral.

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Comrade
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1089
Votes: 0
male australia
Tubastrea are most often found at depths of 13-160 feet in very turbulent water.

Yep you can see they dont need much light at all, beautiful specimen DRO
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
raider_fish
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1340
male usa
Beautiful coral and great pictures. I will have to remember those if ever I get the hang of this marine thing!! Are you writing any more profiles for corals? Great work once again.

Raider_fish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I have a quite a few more profiles that I havent submitted yet. Its hard to find the time to type them out
raider_fish
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 1340
male usa
What else have you got to do between 12 at night and 7 in the morning? Keep up the good work!!

Raider_fish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Piscesgirl
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 892
female usa
Stunning! (thinks about changing her name to SunPolypGrl)
lilmint14
-----
Banned
female usa
yea me 2

hehehe
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Red zebra danio
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
male usa
I love that coral must get one when i start my sw tank im going with vho lighst

and lilmint havent you got my new email I sent you
i miss u
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I love that coral must get one when i start my sw tank im going with vho lighst

This coral doesnt need any light at all. It is also a difficult coral to keep alive and happy. I would wait till you have a good bit of experience before attempting to keep this coral.
Captain_Candiru
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 298
male usa
So this is one of the "mighty and untouchable" non-photo corals...very impressive. I'll just have to get some experience under my belt and get some (thx for the advice on the corals by the way guys).
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
So this is one of the "mighty and untouchable" non-photo corals

Not really untouchable, as it is really quite easy to take care of once you have the experience to keep the water chemistry stable....its just kind of a pain in the butt once you have them for awhile because of the daily feeding.
Captain_Candiru
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
Anything else beside that? Because being able to maintain stable water and do daily feedings(which would result in the need for frequent water changes and a good cleaner crew) could work for a new but dedicated hobbyist, not just an experienced one.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
They really are not that tough to keep once water parameters are stable...meaning DKH, calcium, magnesium, strontium, etc, etc.

A mature system of atleast one year (IMO) should be the youngest tank that they should go in. I feed mine 3 times a day, and pretty heavy feedings at that. I dont have any problems with water quality at all.

the big challange is finding specimens that are healthy to start out with, and then training them to come out for feedings so you dont have to feed them in the dark where drifting food wont be consumed by fish......sure you still get the little critters that only come out at night, but they dont do as good of a job as fish do.

they are not an impossible coral to keep.....neither is the other one that you mentioned (although its a lot harder and im not even comfy with trying to keep one yet)
Captain_Candiru
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
So would they be more appropriate for a invert only aquarium? Granted that all corals and inverts would thrive better in an invert only aquarium, but would an invert only aquarium be especially more helpful if not crucial in the keeping of this species?
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies