AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Marine Aquaria
 L# Reef Keeping
  L# Coral of the week------Tubastrea (sun polyps)
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCoral of the week------Tubastrea (sun polyps)
Captain_Candiru
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 298
Votes: 0
male usa
So this is one of the "mighty and untouchable" non-photo corals...very impressive. I'll just have to get some experience under my belt and get some (thx for the advice on the corals by the way guys).
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 395
female usa
Ok, got them out during the day now! Not quite as far out as those in your pic though... Feeding them cyclops in shrimp juice--YUM!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
female usa
I knew they were still in there, cause I could see some of their "flesh" even while receded into their skeleton. Last night they finally came out to eat (at least I hope they were eating)! I think I will continue to feed them at night for a little while, just to make sure they are eating & then try training them for the daytime. My biggest concern is that they get nourishment for right now.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
awwww Dont give up, keep trying to entice them with the food juice

Most sun polyps that come in are already on the brink of "starving" and they will take awhile to come out. Be patient and dont give up. Just so you know, there is a good chance that if they hadnt been feed for sometime that they may not open at all.....they will slowly starve themselves and tissue will start to receed. Most of the time you can still get them to open up and start feeding.

As far as what time to feed, try feeding them at different times.....first thing in the morning before lights come on, a couple hours after lights go off, etc....

I hope they open up and start feeding for you. They are an amazing coral and are truly beautiful when healthy
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
female usa
They still haven't opened at all...
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Feed whenever their polyps are the most extended...just to get them eating.

Usually, when new, they're opened up at night. You have to "train" them to open up during the day, so you can see them! This takes repeated feedings with the lights on.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
female usa
Right now, I just want them to eat. Should I wait till lights out, or maybe just with the blue atcinic lights on?
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
I second that.

It's taking my new frag awhile to learn to open up and accept food during the day, instead of at night. All they need is some time and TLC.

Try switching to mysis, PE mysis or cyclopeeze. That will help too, and is better than brine for them. G/L

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Pufferpunk, it may take awhile for them to adjust to the water parameters, flow, etc. Keep trying to entice them to come out to feed by blowing the food over them...a lot of times the juice off the food that we normally dont want in the tank works well for doing this.

I dug up a pic of mine that were posted above.

Also here is a recent thread on them [link=http://fishprofiles.com/files/forums/Reef%20Keeping/62769.html]http://fishprofiles.com/files/forums/Reef%20Keeping/62769.html" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link]

DarkRealm Overlord attached this image:
pufferpunk
-----
Big Fish
female usa
I purchased one of these creatures yesterday. Will it take a while for it to adjust to the tank, before it'll feed? I offered it some frozen baby brine (defrosted in Zoe Marine water) & it barely came out. I don't think it ate any. My fucia Hawaiian seafan loved it though!

(I really wish I could see the pics above...)

Last edited by Pufferpunk at 31-Aug-2005 10:32
jayrascoe
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
male usa
where do you get these/how much do they cost?
Captain_Candiru
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
So would they be more appropriate for a invert only aquarium? Granted that all corals and inverts would thrive better in an invert only aquarium, but would an invert only aquarium be especially more helpful if not crucial in the keeping of this species?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
They really are not that tough to keep once water parameters are stable...meaning DKH, calcium, magnesium, strontium, etc, etc.

A mature system of atleast one year (IMO) should be the youngest tank that they should go in. I feed mine 3 times a day, and pretty heavy feedings at that. I dont have any problems with water quality at all.

the big challange is finding specimens that are healthy to start out with, and then training them to come out for feedings so you dont have to feed them in the dark where drifting food wont be consumed by fish......sure you still get the little critters that only come out at night, but they dont do as good of a job as fish do.

they are not an impossible coral to keep.....neither is the other one that you mentioned (although its a lot harder and im not even comfy with trying to keep one yet)
Captain_Candiru
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
Anything else beside that? Because being able to maintain stable water and do daily feedings(which would result in the need for frequent water changes and a good cleaner crew) could work for a new but dedicated hobbyist, not just an experienced one.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
So this is one of the "mighty and untouchable" non-photo corals

Not really untouchable, as it is really quite easy to take care of once you have the experience to keep the water chemistry stable....its just kind of a pain in the butt once you have them for awhile because of the daily feeding.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Scientific name: Tubastrea sp.

Classification: LPS

Common names: Orange cup coral, sun polyps, sun coral, black sun polyps (T. Micrantha)

Description: Tubastrea is an LPS coral with tubular corallites covered with bright orange tissue. Tubastrea have no zooxanthellae and are generally considered non reef building corals due to their slower growth. They are typically nocturnal, extending their polyps at night to capture plankton. Tubastrea are normally found at the entrance to caves and under overhangs where nutrient levels are higher. Tubastrea are most often found at depths of 13-160 feet in very turbulent water.

Hardiness: Tubastrea should only be kept in well established tanks by experienced aquarists because of their feeding and general care needs.

Lighting: Tubastrea are non photosynthetic and do not use light.

Water current: High flow is necessary for feeding in nature. The high flow is also necessary to keep the tissue of the coral free from debris.

Temperature: Does well in a temperature range of 78-84 degrees F.

Aggressiveness: Medium High. Although slower growing than a lot of other corals, Tubastrea polyps contain powerful nematocyst cells that are capable of stinging other corals that are within their reach.

Feeding: Since Tubastrea do not rely on photosynthesis for food, they need fed at least every other day. In nature they feed on larger plankton so a larger food like brine/mysis shrimp should be fed. New colonies will most likely need to be trained to come out and feed. This can be done by using a turkey baster and blowing food or the food juices over them. Once you get them trained to come out, they are relatively easy to care for. Some will also be out during the day once trained, and some even emerge whenever food is placed in the aquarium.

Supplements: Normal ranges in calcium and alkalinity, and other trace elements essential in skeletal development are needed for growth and a strong, healthy coral.

Tank positioning: No special requirements other than a high flow area.

Propagation: This coral is very hard to propagate manually. If kept in good conditions and well fed, small buds will form along the edge of the mother colony. The buds will sometimes detach, float to a new spot in the aquarium, and start a new colony.

[font color="#C00000"]Special notes/considerations: This coral must be fed, or it will cease to open, and tissue recession will shortly follow. This is not a coral that can be placed in the aquarium and forgot about, you must be dedicated and willing to give it attention on a daily basis. * DUE TO THE FEEDING REQUIREMENTS OF THIS CORAL, CARE MUST BE TAKEN TO STAY ON TOP OF WATER QUALITY*[/font]

Now for some pictures of my sun coral

Sun polyps closed

Sun polyps just opening

Sun polyps open

Close ups of the polyps

And

[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

[span class="edited"][Edited by DarkRealm Overlord 2003-12-19 02:13][/span]

[span class="edited"][Edited by DarkRealm Overlord 2003-12-19 03:11][/span]
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I love that coral must get one when i start my sw tank im going with vho lighst

This coral doesnt need any light at all. It is also a difficult coral to keep alive and happy. I would wait till you have a good bit of experience before attempting to keep this coral.
Red zebra danio
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
male usa
I love that coral must get one when i start my sw tank im going with vho lighst

and lilmint havent you got my new email I sent you
i miss u
lilmint14
-----
Banned
female usa
yea me 2

hehehe
Piscesgirl
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 892
female usa
Stunning! (thinks about changing her name to SunPolypGrl)
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies