Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLighting Questions
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 301
Votes: 38
female usa us-indiana
I ahve been hearing mixed information on lighting for my 55 gallon FOLWR tank. This will eventually become a Reef tank but I do not want to rush into it. Some people ahve been telling me that I need MH lighting. Others have told me that Compact Fluorescents would work just fine.

First off, are VHO (Very High Output Lighting) the same as Compact Fluorescent lighting?

Second, Which would work the best? The MH lighting kinda freaks me out because it is SO expensive and it is kinda funky since you can't tough the bulbs and stuff like that.
I am not planning on keeping anytihng too fragile or delicate so I do not think I need anything TOO fancy.

Could someone please set me straight as to what I REALLY need for this? I have plenty of time to decide so please give me as much information as you can!

Christina
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
VHO or PC lighting would work fine over a FOWLR. YOu do not need MH unless you plan on keeping high light corals down the road. VHO is not the same as PC.

As far as Mh goes.....yes it is a bigger initial investment, but not that much more than PC or VHO. In the long run it is cheaper because you dont have to upgrade it again to achieve more light like you would with VHO or PC.

You can touch the MH bulbs....you just have to remove the oils from your fingerprints with some rubbing alcohol....easy way to not have to worry about it is to wear latex gloves when you install the bulbs
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
I agree with Nate.

My advice is just go with the metal halide. You'll be so much more happier when you aren't limited to what you can keep because of your light bulbs.

I went full out on my tank, and spent over 600 bucks on my lights...but I'm so happy I did it. There's not a coral I cant keep. I hate being limited...it sucks. The easy way around that is just save your money a little longer, till you can afford the better thing.

I know that if I can do it, you can. Never skimp out on equipment...it's just not worth it.

-Ferret [/font]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
dvmchrissy
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 301
Votes: 38
female usa us-indiana
Your tank is quite awesome. I jsut don't know if I can make myself pay close to 600 bucks for a lamp for a fish tank. How much would it really limit me if I didn't get the MH lighting? Would I be able to keep most anything with VHO or PC lighting? I am sure I will end up with a much bigger tank within a year or so anyway so I would want a bigger light for the bigger tank anyway.

Christina
JQW
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 758
male australia
Ferretyour parents let you spend $600 just on lights?
How much did the whole setup cost you?
Wonder how much you've spent on fish for your life
I have the cheapest 4ft setup , $40 tank, hand made stand, took the garage light off, $20 heater, old filter.

P.S Nice tank though

errrr......almost forgot, about the lightyea that
for a VHO fluorescent, I think you need a special ballast, which can be costy.
but I think it's worth the money to get good light, cause I can only run 2 36W on my 4ft due to budget and laziness
I'd go with good lights, especially for marine setup.

Last edited by JQW at 08-Nov-2005 15:21
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
I jsut don't know if I can make myself pay close to 600 bucks for a lamp for a fish tank.

If you want good lighting, whether it is PC, VHO, or MH, you will be spending a decent amount. There are MH fixtures out there that are cheaper than the one that Liana bought. Like me, she tends to get the best that money can buy because its worth it.

How much would it really limit me if I didn't get the MH lighting? Would I be able to keep most anything with VHO or PC lighting?

It depends on how much VHO and PC you pack over the tank...it wont be much though with as narrow as a 55 is. Even if you could pack as much VHO or PC over it that you want, you still wouldnt be able to keep most SPS (maybe some Montipora's), and you wouldnt be able to keep clams. Basically you would be stuck with Softies and LPS.

I am sure I will end up with a much bigger tank within a year or so anyway so I would want a bigger light for the bigger tank anyway.

Another reason to go with the MH. On the 55g you would need two MH bulbs (retrofit will cost on the high side of $300 to light the 55). You could upgrade to a larger 4ft tank (say a 120g) and you wouldnt have to upgrade lighting....You could just move the lighting from the 55 over to the 120 No more lights to buy if you buy 250w halides from the start, Plus it wouldnt limit you in any way because of lack of light

IMO, halides are the most economical in the end.....they give you the light you need so you dont have to worry "will my light be enough for this coral?"...and you dont have to upgrade lighting if you upgrade tank size.

I know Im not Liana, but the light over my 180 was an $1800 light Ummmm...I had over $10K in my 180 by the time you figured rock, sand, lighting, corals, fish, and other equipment including the tank, stand, and canopy.

And since we are showing off tanks and stuff

RIP 180g tank and corals

Look familiar?

And a couple for Liana

Last one I promise

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 08-Nov-2005 19:19[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Your tank is quite awesome. I jsut don't know if I can make myself pay close to 600 bucks for a lamp for a fish tank. How much would it really limit me if I didn't get the MH lighting? Would I be able to keep most anything with VHO or PC lighting? I am sure I will end up with a much bigger tank within a year or so anyway so I would want a bigger light for the bigger tank anyway.

Thank you...it's still quite young and immature, but it's coming along nicely IMO.

The 600 bucks didn't bother me at all. Actually, the retail price is closer to $700. I'm sort of a perfectionist...I knew what corals I wanted to keep, I knew what type of lights I needed...and I bought the best that I could. I considered skimping out a couple of times...but I always had the common sense knocked back into me. I knew how much I'd regret it if I didn't get what I want.

Yes, you will be severely limited. All the LPS and SPS corals and clams prefer/need MH lighting to have the beatiful colors we so desire. You'd be amazed at how many SPS start out brown when they're at the fish store, and then change to pinks, purples and blues once they're in a tank with the proper/intense lighting. You will be limited to softies and things like mushrooms if you dont get halides.

Wonder how much you've spent on fish for your life
I have the cheapest 4ft setup , $40 tank, hand made stand, took the garage light off, $20 heater, old filter.

Yes, my parents let me spend just $600 (actually more...) on lights...and it all came right from my own pocket.

Put it this way...

Think about what most 16 year olds will spend their money on. Drugs and alcohol.

My parents are very supportive of my hobby, and understand that to keep the acroporas and other corals that I want, I need to have special lights. I want to go to college to major in marine biology and oceanography. Right now, this may be a hobby, but within a couple years it might be my life.

I could make an estimate...that on just my reef tank...I've prolly spent close to 3K by now...

The tank, overflow kit, and stand were almost $400. I made the skirt with my dad...so that prolly ended up being $50 in materials (wood, paints and whatnot). The Oceans Motions unit was...err, prolly close to $300 or so, my skimmer was like $350ish...throw in another $200 or so for pumps, maybe $75 for heaters, powerheads, hydrometer...about $100 in salt...$40ish in test kits...another $40-$50 for my refugium tank...$100 for salt...another $200 in food/livestock/supplements...$200 for my reefkeeper unit I think, close to another $100 for my pH probe and temp probe...and about $400 in misc. plumbing supplies...close to $400 in live rock...

oh yeah, plus a little over $600 for the lights...

Those prices aren't even close to accurate, just the best assumption I can make within 5 minutes or so. It is a lot of money, when you think about it, but since it's done over a period of time...it doesn't feel so bad. Or at least, that's what I keep telling my wallet.

When I finish with my RO/DI auto top off system, that'll be another $300-$400.

And dont even talk to me about livestock prices. This tank doesn't have a single real permanent resident yet. (Other than a couple corals)

I'm very lucky to be an active member of the Long Island Reef Assosciation. This hobby is all about connections...and a local reef club is a great way to find them. I know how to get all my livestock and equipment at wholesale prices, plus the guys put donations towards my tank all the time. Most of the macro in my sump, and a lot of the frags in my main display have all come from generous members. One day I know i'll be able to give back the way they did for me.

The cost of my set up would have probably doubled if I bought everything on my own.

P.S Nice tank though

Thank you.

[o]errrr......almost forgot, about the lightyea that
for a VHO fluorescent, I think you need a special ballast, which can be costy.
but I think it's worth the money to get good light, cause I can only run 2 36W on my 4ft due to budget and laziness
I'd go with good lights, especially for marine setup.

My lights have a huge ballast. It weighs a lot. That's about all I can say on that topic...Nate will have to talk techy. But yeah, MH's do need a ballast.

Nate...thanks for the pictures...even though I've seen those about 100 times before. I hope that reviewing those brings back the pleasant memories from that set up...and that it will be a drive to get that dream cube set up real soon.

EDIT: To fix prices a little. :%)

Last edited by Ferretfish at 09-Nov-2005 14:16

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies