L# Mangroves?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMangroves?
jkalfsbeck
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 132
Votes: 0
I've been reading a lot on how mangroves are used more and more as a natural filtration system. How mangroves reduce nitrate and phosphate levels and other toxins. Just wondering if anyone is currently using them or thought about it? It sounds like a sweet set up if you can get the mangrove plants. Looks like very few places sell them. (the pods)
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Mangroves are great for nitrate removal..only problem is that you need 10 mangroves for every 50 gallons in order to have any noticable effect.

Mangroves do best under MH lighting, are slow growers, and most dont take too well to pruning.

Where are you located at? I might be able to help you with some links to buying pods.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jkalfsbeck
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 132
Votes: 0
I'm located in Sarasota Florida. My LFS sells the pods and I purchased a couple over the weekend. I've read where it's best to stick the pods into a sump or something along those lines, but since I only have a HOB filter I piled the live rock up in one corner and planted the pods directly into a piece of LR. I've read where people actually stick the pods into their main tank also. And for lighting i've read diff. stories on the recommendations. For now I just have a 40w plant light on them. Like i've said i've read a lot of articles on this subject and a lot have diff. opinions and advice.

I've heard the 8-10 mangroves per 50 gallons but i've also read several articles where they recommend fewer b/c as the plant matures you need the right amount of nutrients from the tank. Other wise other plants might not be getting what they need.

Any help or advice would be great.

forgot to add my pods are around 15-16" tall. No leaves as of yet but one of them is getting ready to sprout. Just the big red roots.

Last edited by jkalfsbeck at 11-Jan-2005 06:44
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies