Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribetunze stream for a 180g?
bboyin4lyf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 83
Votes: 0
male australia
my lfs is offering a tunze stream with control box and all for $400 -2nd hand less then 2 weeks use apparently- its good for 12000 liters an hour is this too much circulation for a 6ft by 2 by2? 180g. im worried that it will just blow a massive jet that will stop me from being able to put anything near it and it will still leave dead spots in the tank.

the circulation will consist of the tunze and just a return out let from the sump that wont be very strong.

what do you guyz think?
pros/cons of tunze stream?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
the streams will not be too much for your tank size.....they have a pretty "easy" flow considering the gph that they pump. Its all part of their design.

About the only things that I dont like about Tunze streams is that they are pretty big and hard to hide.....they also are hard to get parts for, depending on the part that you would need.....on the upside, tunze is a great company and their quality is top notch.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bboyin4lyf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 83
Votes: 0
male australia
well im thinking ill just get the one tunze. should that be enough flow? im sick of powerheads losing gph after 4-6months of use. having to clean the inlet every week etc. any cons with this product besides its aesthetics?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
As for the look, you might invest in one of these covers for the power stream;
http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/ph_tz_decorock.jpg
Most placed that sell Tunze products, will carry or can order them for you. They will grow coraline as well as any other algae on them. And you can even attach corals to them. Within a few months, they look just like another piece of LR in the tank. A friend of mine has a 400 gal reef. And has 4 of these in it. It took me about 10 minutes to find 2 of them, as they were already covered with live organisms, as they came out of his smaller reef.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Tunze is good quality, like Nate said, but very pricey.

I know Matt has had very good luck with his, but I'd suggest an Oceans Motions unit instead. You could go with the 8-way for sure, or maybe even the 4 way...

They're a little pricey, but not as expensive as the Tunze units are.

[link=http://www.oceansmotions.com]http://www.oceansmotions.com" style="COLOR: #3c4e82[/link]

^^^Click^^^

Powerheads are yucky. I'm going with the 4 way OM unit on my 72 bow, that's what I'd use if I were you. I'm hooking mine up to a Mag12 and a ball valve I think. Plumbings a little tricky sometimes, but not too bad if you have someone who knows how to do it. *cough*

It's just a lottttta PVC pipe, make friends with HomeDept!

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]I want to stand with you on a mountain,
I want to bathe with you in the sea,
I want to live like this forever,
Until the sky falls down on me…
[/font]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies