Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFilters
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Can someone reccomend a good filter for a 55gal cichlid tank i am setting up. I was thinking to run two Hagen aqua -clear HOB filters. Im open for some suggestions as to different brands or types that may be better. I've not really tryed any others.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 07:00Profile PM Edit Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
male usa
If its in the budget I would go with a good canister filter with cichlids. Way better water flow and alot easier to clean.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 08:59Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
As we discussed in Chat I think that a good quality (Eheim) canister would be an excellent choice and yes you can easily get a larger one for the tank this will do a far better job in the long term.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 09:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I'll look into it tho I know they are around 200$ Maybe I'll start with HOB and upgrade.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 21:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I think for now im going to have to use a HOB or something less expensive than a canister. What you reccomend
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2008 21:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Maybe I'll start with HOB and upgrade.

There are several problems here
Your filtration will not be as sufficient when using the HOBs
If you add the cost of buying the HOBs them the Container later it will cost you a lot more in total.
Just something to think about, false economy.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2008 01:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Well I can get two HOB that pump 300GPH for around 50$ And they are hagen Aquaclear.
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2008 03:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Boogeyman
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
I purchased a used eheim 2028 on craigslist for $100. I bet you could get one on ebay for around $130 if you keep your eyes open. If you consider a purchase like that, look for deals that include the media because it can add up quick if you have to buy it seperate. Im willing to bet that the general consenus is to not go "cheap" on your filtration. Last thing you want when you have $200 in fish invested in your tank, is problems with your filter.
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2008 05:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Well I can get two HOB that pump 300GPH

That is what it pumps. That has nothing to do with the quality of the filtration and that is what you are paying for in a quality canister filter.

Boogeyman
I wish more thought like that and if they did there would be far less problems with fish keeping.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2008 05:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I was told you want to filter 10x the gal. of your tank. Therefore I would need atleast 500GPH. So maybe if you could reccomend a filter to me I'll look more into it. It's not that I dont care just money is a little tight right now with christmas and all
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2008 08:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EHEIM FILTERS
Your tank is 208 lt
This is the Eheim site for all their filters
For example you could look at the
Ecco 2236 for a tank size 300l
Classic 2215 for a 350lt tank
Top of the range Professional 11 for a tank 350lt this is the one I have.

I have no idea where to even start looking for prices in the USA BUT I would never buy a second hand one unless you exactly where and how it was used. If you had to buy any spare parts the cost could easily exceed a new one

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2008 10:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
What about a Rena Xp3? I found a good deal on one of them!
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 00:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Or also good deal on a Hagen FluVal405
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 01:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I do not know any thing about either of those brands.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 03:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by Sin in Style
Hi spanky me again. When i suggested 10x turnover in your tank this was for HOBs. when dealign with canister filters the equation changes slightly. Sorry for the confusion i should have mentioned this.

Canister filter GPH rateing measure differently because like Keith said quality of filtration. There is close to no bypass in canister filtration meaning water doesnt get around the filtration. takes alot more to clog a canister too because of the preasure behind the water due to gravity.

Anyway you can trust the tank size rateing on Eheim canisters. I would however pair it up with a powerhead atleast. This is mainly to creat alot of movement in the water so the filter can work better.

I have a 75g with a penguin 350 and a penguin 330 on it. Thats 680 gph which is close enough really. I then put a Eheim 2222 on it (rated for 40g tanks) as cleanup for the lack of quality on the other 2.

Majority of my tanks all have penguins and they all have needed their impellars replaced after 4 yrs. Not bad concidering they only cost me like $27 from bigals. The part cost me $9 to replace + $9 in shipping. so now my cheap filter is $45 and i got 2 of them on my tank so thats almost $100. I paid $110 for the eheim. Shoulda just bought 2 of those and called it a day.

This isnt to say the penguins havent been worth my money. They create great current in the tank and i have only one dead spot in the tank which i easily get with vacs. And honestly 2x canisters on the tank would have never gotten that current and i woulda had to buy a powerhead to get the same result.

Go with what works for you. If buying a HOB right now as you stock the tank is all you can afford then do that. Some day santa might hook ya up with a Eheim. Just keep your bioload in mind. If you put one HOB rated for 30-70g tank then dont put more fish in there then you might with a 30-40g tank. Then when you get the cash for the Eheim just add it to the tank then think about more fish closer to the limits of a 55g.

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 06:06Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
I agree with Sin In Style, here.

Go with what you can afford now, but don't go beyond the limits of what it can do. It's always nice to have an extra HOB running on a tank in case something goes wrong with another filter while you're gone.

I've never had any problems with any of my Marineland Penguin filters. I've got a pair of Penguin 125's running on my 20 gal (SW) tank just for current/flow and to catch big particles. I've got the real filtration in my sump (with a 500gph Mag 5 as a return pump. I've also got a Magnum 350 (canister) that I've been fixing to act as another return pump from the sump.

So I've got 750gph right now, going up to 1000gph... that's enough for a SW tank, but probably too much for a FW tank o.O

Btw, Magnum 350's are kind of a pain to use 'cause they aren't self priming and there's no easy way to prime 'em (at least the old ones like what I've got, no idea 'bout the new ones)...

Anyway, good luck affording/buying filters
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 06:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
So if I went with one of the two I had asked about which one would you say is best. and what is a power head? I'm still kinda new to the filteration. I've only had HOB
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 09:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited by Babelfish
Powerheads simply move the water around. It would be a way to help increase water movement allowing any HOB to pick up more if it had a high turnover rate to begin with.

Honestly though, IMO if you're looking at buying two HOB's and a powerhead you'd do better with one of the ecco canisters that keith mentioned. I've ordered from big als before and find them good, others like that fish place will also have them.

I had one of those on the 30 gallon long I had at the office and I thought it was great. Very quiet which was good for the office, and very cheap for a canister.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 12:59Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
This is an example of a "power head" pump:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4628&pcatid=4628

This is an example of a rather new innovative pump for
circulating water in the tank:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+15955&pcatid=15955
They are two parts and are mounted one part on the outside
of the tank, and the pump itself, on the inside.

While the true power head was developed for use on UGF
filters, folks soon adapted them for water circulation uses
as well.

As far as your initial question, with a tank that large
many prefer the canisters, while others prefer the HOB
style. And, of those who use the HOB style, many prefer
the ones with a "bio wheel" built into the filter.
Canisters can leak and can be difficult to seal at times.
If those problems occur, then they can rapidly drain your
tank onto the floor and create a disaster.
HOB filters generally stop being used at about the
55G tank size as for them to be effective, they need
more media (surface area) than the physical size of the
box hanging on the back of the tank allows. Hanging
several on the back of the tank could also pose problems
with warping the back glass plate and possible leaks.

Usually, from 55G and up, its canisters, or sumps
for filtration.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 19:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I think im going witha canister! Is it true you only have to change media every 3-4months. Also I've found two GREAT deals on them two I talked about earlier (Rena XP3,FluVal405). Yet everyone talks about the Eihems. Are they really that much better or would the two I have found work ?
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2008 21:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies