L# Is Epoxy Aquarium Safe?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIs Epoxy Aquarium Safe?
reun
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 216
male usa
im going to be making a backround in my 29 gallon, and i have been reading online that regular epoxy, as long as its allowed to cure (over a week) out of water, will not be toxic for any fish. can anyone verify this? people are using the 2 part epoxy and mixing some food coloring in for pigment, and seem to be using it without problems.

i am checking and asking as many people as i can about this before i try it for myself however.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 00:57Profile PM Edit Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Good epoxy should be inert when dry/cured. Make sure that the label says 'waterproof' or something to that effect, when you buy it.

I haven't put epoxy in an aquarium yet, but I've got a bunch of stuff made for a tank-in-progress (that I'll probably never get around to finishing) with epoxy, slate, foam, etc that my local aquarium club deemed 'fish safe'. I just epoxied some rocks to the base of a piece of driftwood that I'll be using in a 1/4 gal tank that I'm setting up. I'll let you know how it goes
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 09:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
thanks! yeah, i have been scouring the internet and there are alot of people saying the exact same thing, that a good grade of epoxy will be inert when dried, and the only thing stressed was to not put it in water and to let it cure for about 2 weeks.

to be on the safe side, i wont be adding any type of a pleco or scrubbing fish, just in case munching on the back "rockscape" would cause health issues.

i did want to run the idea of epoxy past everyone and get your opinions!

when the project in complete months from now i will add fish in one at a time over a several week period and watch them very closely.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 20:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
I wasn't aware that it had to cure. Maybe I'd forgotten that... I hadn't used epoxy in over 5 years. The last project I used epoxy on (finished... just need to put it in a tank, whenever I get around to that) has been curing on my shelf since the day I finished it over 5 years ago o.O (Procrastinators unite!... tomorrow!)

I guess I'll be letting this cure for a few weeks. That'll leave me some time to fine-tune the design, pick up a few more parts, and get some fun plants

Thanks for the tidbit of info
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2008 06:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
With many of today's adhesives, glues and epoxy it has to cure ( a process where chemicals evaporate) and the product sets. Some take hrs and other can take weeks. If it is placed under water too soon this process will not happen and problems will occur. BEFORE you use any product like that contact the manufacturer and ask them BUT make sure you give them all the information of what you are doing.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2008 08:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
i am going to a few differant hardware stores to look for non toxic and water proof resins. i will poke around and see what i can find. if i cannot find a non toxic variety locally i will look for a fast set up resin and then search on the internet to find out if it will be safe to use, and how long the total curing process is.
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2008 10:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
Probably being nitpicky, but epoxy doesn't "dry" and doesn't need to have any chemicals evaporate out of it.
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2008 01:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
heh, sorry, being vague using the word dry, i suppose i should use the word cure...yes?
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2008 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
male newzealand
Yup.
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2008 07:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
ok, so, if i have done my research properly, it looks like epoxy, as long as it is mixed properly and given extra cure time, is inert, and safe for fish.

any disputes?
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2008 02:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
No disputes here. I've never heard otherwise
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2008 07:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
What kind of epoxy is it? Is it liquid 2 part epoxy, or are you using the solid 2 part epoxy that comes in a stick and you just smash it up and make sure its well "mixed"?
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2008 07:41Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
I'm using the liquid 2 part epoxy, btw o.O
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2008 08:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
male newzealand
The "Solid 2 part in a stick that you mash up" stuff is sold here as knead-it. Great stuff. And aqua knead-it at least is aquarium safe. It's commonly used in marines for things like attaching coral frags.
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2008 09:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 06-Oct-2008 05:26
This post has been deleted
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
ok, update. first post, I did more research and found that the epoxy I was thinking about using was WAY too expensive, so I have found another alternative. this is the product I plan to use, not only is it cheap and readily available, several people have documented using it in their fish tank submerged projects.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=45

look over the hazards sheet, and also product information, and this looks perfect for my plan.
Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2008 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies