L# Technical Tinkering
  L# Sump with in/out pumps?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSump with in/out pumps?
YourOtherLeft
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
I'm looking for some expert advice. Long story short...

I'm in the process of up sizing my turtle tank to a 90+ gallon aquarium. Ive been researching making a DIY sump to eliminate the cost of a high price filter. I have a decent understanding of there workings but have never used one. I plan to keep the water level at about 3/4 full which seems to eliminate the idea of an overflow, or does it?

So my idea was to place a submersible pump about 6-8 inches from the bottom of the main tank to pump water into the sump and then another pump to pump water from the sump back into the tank.

Is this a feasible idea? I'm guessing the pumps need to be the same GPH? Suggestions?

Thanks a bunch
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2008 09:52Profile PM Edit Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
I'm not an expert on sump/plumbing design, as I had some help designing mine, but I do know the principles.

In/out pumps are a BAD idea! It may work for a few hours or even a few days, but as soon as they start to clog up, you've got one empty tank and it's entire volume on the floor. Steer clear from that idea.

Having the water level at 3/4 of the tank's height doesn't rule out using an overflow. I'd personally drill the back of the tank where you want the water level to be, and put your overflow there. If you ever want your water level to be higher, simply use a PVC elbow and a short length of PVC pipe to raise the drain to where you want it (note that you'll have to add the water to compensate for the raised water level, of course). You may want to seal/glue the PVC extension/riser so that if you turn off your return pump, the water from the main tank can't slowly drain into the sump because of a leak.

That's my simple solution (which happens to be the solution I used in my 20 gal reef), but maybe someone else has a different/better idea? Maybe you could get around drilling the tank by using an external overflow? I dunno.

HTH
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2008 10:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies