Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAwesome Neon Schooling Behavior
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
female usa
Just a little story...

So I was at my LCS (i know don't get me started) looking at the black neons that i was going to buy for my 20g and while i was waiting for an employee to show up so i could get them i started looking at the other fish (who can resist? even if it is a CS ).
A few tanks down was a tank of 30 or so Neon Tetras and there was a big rock in the middle of the tank. Well the ones on the front side of the rock i guess got freaked out that someone suddenly showed up there and they started to swim behind the rock going right, the others behind them followed them, and the others them, (and so on). The effect was so COOL! It was like a turning wheel of neons! Heh, this makes me wish I had a 50g and could get a nice shoal of neons instead of a mere school...
So I stared at them a while until the employee showed up and it was back to business.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 05:11Profile PM Edit Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
Ahh sounds beautiful haha. Kinda makes me want to make a shoal!

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 05:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
sounds awesome.ive always wanted a huge school of them.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 06:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
From Wikipedia:
Shoal can describe any group of fish, including mixed-species groups, reserving "school" for more closely knit groups of the same species swimming in a highly synchronized and polarized manner.

But anyway, yeah, big schools are awesome. /:'

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 13:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
female usa
Always with the technicalities.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2009 18:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I always remember a huge display tank at a LFS many years ago it was full of Java Fern and nothing else but Cardinal Tetras.

When I started the 45lt tank with Cardinals only a few at a time they always seemed lost but when I started to build the school up 15 now they are certainly more outgoing and behave like a school.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2009 03:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies